Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old December 10th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Brett Gottdener

P38 R18 tire preferences

Hello everybody,

I don't post much, but the family's p38 needs new tires. (I know alot more about tires for my RRC and SIII...) Rims are factory 18's. We've had the Michelin Pilots for a while, but we're thinking of going with something tougher. Essentially looking for an all-terrain highway tire.

What I've looked at thus far:
-Michelin Pilot ltx
-Michelin 4x4 xpc (oem i believe
-Michelin Tour HP
-Pirelli scorpion atr

Characteristics were looking at:
-high puncture resistance
-good highway manners
-good snow/ice/rain traction
-255/55r18

I know many of you have seen or experienced the various tire options out there. Who knows, perhaps a nice database could be created for others with similar or other interests. What are your thoughts and opinions...?

Thank you for your time,
Brett Gottdener
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

For street machines I like Syncrones or LTXs.
Old December 11th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Brett Gottdener

Thank you for the reply Jack. I know that you get out on many dirt roads when you're on your hunting trips; is that where you have experience with the Michelin LTX?

Street machine it is predominantly, but it will now see more foul weather (CO or 395 in winter...) and "backroads" than it used to. We are looking for a highway tire that you would feel most comfortable taking down, say Berdoo Canyon, Last Chance, etc.

Thank you,
Brett Gottdener
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Gottdener
Thank you for the reply Jack. I know that you get out on many dirt roads when you're on your hunting trips; is that where you have experience with the Michelin LTX?

I watched Michelin LTXs survive 5 brutal days on the Rubicon without a single failure.
They didn't offer much traction but they were incredibly tough.

You can see from the truck carnage just what these tires were subjected to. Additionally they were run with LSDs rather than lockers so the amount of tire spin was tremendous.

Those tires are tough.
Old December 11th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

Brett,

I'd take Michelin XPC over any others you mentioned. They are great tires.

Old December 12th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Chris Whybrew

We had the Michelin Synchrones on our 97 HSE. They worked great and did pretty well in the snow when we went up to Mt Charleston. I believe BFG is making an 18" version of their AT/KO tire that is equivalent to a 31-32" tire. I believe the tire size is 265/60-18s. GY makes their Silent Armor in that size. Otherwise I would definitely look at the XPCs.

Last edited by DCWhybrew : December 12th, 2007 at 05:54 PM. Reason: updated information
Old December 12th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Brett Gottdener

Jack,

Thanks for the feedback on the LTX; it sounds like the tires faired much better than the front end.

Ho,

I like the tread pattern on that, it seems a bit "classic" compared to all of the other choices out there. This looks like the OEM tire that came on these vehicles, certainly reminiscent of what used to come on the RRC. I'm a bit bummed however, as it only comes as a "65" sidewall height. We were going to go for "two now, two later" as that's how the tread is behaving. Decisions...

Chris,

I appreciate your thoughts on the Synchrones. In regards to the BFG's, I think they might be a bit too far into the "trail" category for our interests with this Rover. Additionally, I had a set of the old BFG MT's and really hated the rubber compound on them after they wore down about 10k. The tread became firm and plasticated, like it wasn't rubber.

Thanks everybody,
Brett Gottdener
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Chris,

I appreciate your thoughts on the Synchrones. In regards to the BFG's, I think they might be a bit too far into the "trail" category for our interests with this Rover.

Syncrones are trail tires???
Old December 14th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Brett Gottdener

"We had the Michelin Synchrones on our 97 HSE. They worked great and did pretty well in the snow when we went up to Mt Charleston. I believe BFG is making an 18" version of their AT/KO tire that is equivalent to a 31-32" tire. I believe the tire size is 265/60-18s. GY makes their Silent Armor in that size. Otherwise I would definitely look at the XPCs."
-Chris

Jack,
Chris was referencing three different tires. Michelin Synchrones, BFG AT/KO, and GY Silent Armor. My reply was referencing the first two he mentioned. The "trail" tire being the BFG AT/KO.

For perspective here, I am on my second set of GY MTR's with my RRC. The first set went on the SIII. The GY MTR works very well for me in CO. -all these abbreviations...

Brett Gottdener
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Jesse Ware
KB1NZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
I watched Michelin LTXs survive 5 brutal days on the Rubicon without a single failure.
They didn't offer much traction but they were incredibly tough.

You can see from the truck carnage just what these tires were subjected to. Additionally they were run with LSDs rather than lockers so the amount of tire spin was tremendous.

Those tires are tough.

Jack I am surprised that they faired that well. I have run the LTX in a load range e on my Dodge 2500 Cummins for 4+ years. I am currently on my second set. I like how they handle the wet snowy roads, I have plowed with them for the past 4 winters. However I have found the sidewalls to be quite tender, one brush with a granite curb while parking and the sidewalls rip right open. I am on my 3rd replacement tire on the off side front. I excuse this issue due to all the other good features of the tire.

If I were putting a tire on for light trail use, I would not choose this tire based on my street/curb experience. I cant dispute the abuse the tires seemed to survive on the Rubicon, however I thought my experience with the tires was worth mentioning.
Old December 15th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Brett Gottdener

Jesse,

It's good to hear your perspective. The sidewall strength won't be tested on this truck too much, but it's nice to know where the weakness lies.

Thank you,
Brett Gottdener
Old December 16th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Chris Whybrew

Quote:
Jack,

Thanks for the feedback on the LTX; it sounds like the tires faired much better than the front end.

Ho,

I like the tread pattern on that, it seems a bit "classic" compared to all of the other choices out there. This looks like the OEM tire that came on these vehicles, certainly reminiscent of what used to come on the RRC. I'm a bit bummed however, as it only comes as a "65" sidewall height. We were going to go for "two now, two later" as that's how the tread is behaving. Decisions...

Chris,

I appreciate your thoughts on the Synchrones. In regards to the BFG's, I think they might be a bit too far into the "trail" category for our interests with this Rover. Additionally, I had a set of the old BFG MT's and really hated the rubber compound on them after they wore down about 10k. The tread became firm and plasticated, like it wasn't rubber.

Thanks everybody,
Brett Gottdener

Brett, do you mean the BFG ATs are too aggressive looking? Or are you concerned about the ride and "life span"? We have had 3 sets of BFGs (2 on my D1 and 1 on my wife's DII). I would encourage you to serously consider them. They ride very well and they will last longer than 40k miles provided you rotate them properly. They are very durable tires that work well on and off road.

As far as buying two tires at a time, I would encourage you to buy all 5 at once. If you buy two at a time, depending on how long you wait to buy the remaining tires, you'll have problems when you begin rotating tires. You should not put one new tire and one old tire on a single axle. If you can't rotate properly, assuming you put several thousand miles on the first pair, you may run in to wear problems and you wont be able to cross rotate properly. You will ruin some very expensive tires.

I say go with the XPCs if you don't want the BFGs and buy all 5.