Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old July 15th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Clays Shoot Next Sunday (23JUL06)

Two of my fellow duck club members, both of whom are Land Rover owners (one current, one former) and myself are going to head up to either Triple B or Moore and Moore next sunday to shoot some sporting clays.

Tom will be breaking in his new LCS 1 20bore and Marcus will be breaking out the previously mint Winchester mod 42 as well as his p-gun and beretta. I'll be shooting a winchester mod 12 and maybe one of the doubles.

Hoping to pattern a few guns as well.

Who's got the fever?

Maybe a nice lunch afterwards?

Old July 15th, 2006, 05:10 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I'm in for either Triple B or Moore N Moore. Doesn't matter to me.
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Ok, I'm feeling Moore and Moore because I've never been and it sounds like the SC presentation is nicer.

Do they have a patterning board?
What do you need to bring for that, butcher paper?

Right now the duck club boys and I arguing about a time. Some people like to sleep in longer than others apparently.

John, Aaron you have thoughts on a time?
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

The patterning board has grease on it. No paper necessary. Just step up and take a shot.

I would recommend as early as possible. It will be hot... very hot this weekend. There is no food at MNM but they do sell drinks and ammo.

I still do not know if I will make it. I may have to make a quick trip to the East Coast.
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:57 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Moore N Moore's patterning board looks like this:

It's a big steel sheet with two holes in it. As Aaron said, the patterning board is covered with grease:

After you pattern a shot, you can clean the board with the provided paint rollers behind the board. Just pretend you're painting the board with grease and it's good as new (well, except for the giant dent in the board from some asshole firing a slug into it).

I usually pattern at 16 yards/paces, but I think there's enough room to pattern at about 25-30 yards/paces if you desire. It starts to get iffy though as the farther you are away from the patterning board, the more likely it is that someone will walk across your shot path (there's a Five Stand area and two Sporting Clays stations to the left of the patterning board and the rest of the Sporting course is somewhat to the right of the patterning board). I always try to keep an eye out for people when I'm patterning, but anything is possible. Any longer than 25-30 yards and you'd be shooting from the parking lot, so that's the limit if my memory serves.

I'm very flexible on time. You guys are the ones who are driving so far, so any time that is good for you is fine with me.
Old July 21st, 2006, 02:23 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Apparently it takes quite a bit longer to get to MNM so considering a heat and the hopes for an early start Triple B, just might be the smarter choice.

I think we now have 4 in the San Diego contingent.

Tentative time would be between 8:30 and 9:00 am on sunday.

Triple B does not have a pattern board correct?
Old July 21st, 2006, 02:39 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I'm perfectly fine with Triple B.

I don't think Triple B has a patterning board. At least I've never seen it.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 06:12 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

See you tomorrow around 9:00 a.m.

It's going to be hot, but it's going to be fun.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 07:34 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
See you tomorrow around 9:00 a.m.

It's going to be hot, but it's going to be fun.

Tom's getting Engelized!
who cares about the clays!
Old July 22nd, 2006, 11:51 PM
Rover Puppy

You guys have fun and stay safe!

I wish we could be there. You've got me daydreaming about moving to California so we can tag along on all of your fun adventures and activites.

Hmmm... Maybe I could learn to specialize in disaster response for earthquakes, fires, and mudslides.

On my time off, maybe I could help out at EE.

Hmmm... Maybe we could live at Jack's house. I'd be in heaven if I could help out with that grocery getter!!

Best Regards Jamie, Blue, and Angel

p.s. take some pics to share tomorrow, please.
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:01 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

The targets were presented at much longer range and trickier angles than usual. It was hot and humid and there was no breeze. I shot poorly. We barely caught the tail end of dim sum and got in only one round.

But I had a great time. Thanks to Jack and the crew for driving so far.

Sorry, no pics.
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Sorry I missed it.

I was busy melting... it was 119 degress at the house on Sat.
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:18 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

The targets would have pissed you off. They are much more difficult than usual. A lot of them had the Pat touch and were deceptively difficult.
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
The targets would have pissed you off. They are much more difficult than usual. A lot of them had the Pat touch and were deceptively difficult.

Wait... did you go to MNM or BBB?
Old July 24th, 2006, 12:42 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

It was BBB.

I don't know if they got new trappers or something, but the targets were more artfully laid out than previously.

There are also 25 stations now. I'm not sure if there were 25 stations before, but there are 25 now. However, stations 15-25 are reserved for BBB members, touraments, and instruction only. So we stayed on stations 1-15.

I'm contemplating joining BBB now, if only for access to the extra Sporting stations.

My shoulder is sore.
Old July 24th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
It was BBB.

I don't know if they got new trappers or something, but the targets were more artfully laid out than previously.

There are also 25 stations now. I'm not sure if there were 25 stations before, but there are 25 now. However, stations 15-25 are reserved for BBB members, touraments, and instruction only. So we stayed on stations 1-15.

I'm contemplating joining BBB now, if only for access to the extra Sporting stations.

My shoulder is sore.

It will be very cool if BBB has indeed hired someone new to set up the the sporting clay presentations.
Old July 24th, 2006, 02:11 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

There was a station where the trap was very close to the shooting stand. The trap was tilted severely and there was a large 2x4 or 4x4 or some other piece of wood under one side of the trap's axle. It was totally ghetto. I even said, "that's so ghetto" when we walked up to the station.

But what a target it threw. The target shot out high and very slightly quartering to the right. Then as it flew longer, it peaked and started curving very slightly to the left. The clay was edge-on for what seemed like most of its flight.

I don't think I hit it once. And it wasn't one of those impossible 80-yard crossers either. It was a very hitable target. I just couldn't seem to hit it at all.

One of the early stations had a very fast rabbit. The trapper put out some soft dirt mounds so that the rabbit would bounce unpredictably but not break. This was the fastest rabbit I've seen. For some odd reason though, we didn't seem to have problems with this target at all.

There were also a few very fast left-to-right crossers at close range. These weren't midis or minis but they were close enough that they seemed to streak by. It was swing-through city. I don't know how anyone could use sustained lead on these. It was catch-up from the moment the target left the trap. If we were shooting three-second delay, it would have been a nightmare.