Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old August 14th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

First Aid classes

I was looking into a WFR review course and thought I would post a link to John Jacobs' Wilderness First Aid course schedulehttp://www.adventureriskmanagement.c.../crsesche.html.

I recommend both the training and John as an instructor very highly.
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

I am currently Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certified. I took the course last Jan with John Jacobs through Wilderness Medical Associates (WMA). John teaches for WMA and owns Adventure Risk Management. He is great.

I took the WFR class knowing absolutely nothing about first aid (other than a Red Cross CPR certification). I walked out of the class eight 10+ hours days later actively looking for people to rescue. I strongly recommend a Wilderness Advanced First Aid (WAFA) or a WFR course for anyone who spends time in... well... in the wilderness.

The WFR course entails a lot of reading, studying, testing and hands on simulations.

The simulations are fantastic. The class is divided up (in our case into 3rds) One group acts as the "lead rescuers", another group the "secondary rescuer" (a helper) and the third "patients". The patients must wear "cut-away" clothes that can be cut off if the rescuer deems it necessary. It takes about an hour for the patients to get all made up including things like little pumps to make "blood" gush from open wounds.

To give you an idea of a simulation here is a brief synopsis of the 1st one we encountered (remember that the rescuers come onto the scene having no idea at all about anything scene related):

Rescuers come onto a car accident scene. One person is dead, one has head trauma and is throwing up, one is drunk, and one is beat up. There is one witness to all this standing on the side of the road who is preggo. The dead guy is against the steering wheel so the horn is blasting. Rescuers go to work assessing the scene. The drunk person starts getting belligerent and waving a gun around. Anyone who tries to dissarm the person gets shot (did I mention it was a starter pistol). Bang! Bang! Two rescuers go down. The stress of all this causes El Preggo to go into labor.

Things used to make this as real as possible: a starter pistol, lots of make up, a mouthfull of oatmeal/yogurt/apple/cereal to "throw-up" onto the rescuer, real cars, a real horn, real people acting out the injuries.

All of this is videotaped and reviewed in class. Everyone learns from it.
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

There is no way I am knowledgeable enough to "teach" first aid.
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:47 PM
David Woo

I was signed up for the July course in OC...

but had to cancel. I'm looking forward to a course maybe next year.

I'm gonna try to make a Bill Burke map and compass class in AB in November, should be a blast. I attended one of his OTR classes last November, freezing temps, rained both days, roads frozen over, great fun.
DW
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by david
but had to cancel. I'm looking forward to a course maybe next year.

I'm gonna try to make a Bill Burke map and compass class in AB in November, should be a blast. I attended one of his OTR classes last November, freezing temps, rained both days, roads frozen over, great fun.
DW

I emailed John Jacobs the other day. Next years class schedule will be posted by early October.

Let me know which BB class you sign up for. That sounds like fun.