Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 24th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Tiger Hunting here in LA?!?!?!?

Fly to Africa for big game hunting? Bah! We've got right here in SoCal!

Trackers Kill Tiger in Ventura County
by Amanda Covarrubias
Times Staff Writer

February 24, 2005

Sharpshooters searching for a 425-pound tiger that had prowled the hills of Simi Valley for two weeks shot and killed it Wednesday after a family awoke to find it walking past their backyard.

The decision by government trackers to use high-powered rifles instead of tranquilizer darts to bring down the elusive cat outraged animal rights activists. But state officials said they had no alternative but to shoot to kill, because the animal could have attacked or bolted onto a highway or into a public park nearby.

Thus ended a bizarre two-week saga that brought wilderness trappers to suburbia and forced families to keep children and pets indoors after huge cat tracks started being spotted throughout the oak-studded hills of eastern Ventura County.

About 6 a.m. Wednesday, 45-year-old Ken Tucker awoke to see the tiger slowly pacing along his backyard fence on Coffeetree Lane in Moorpark and then crouching next to his neighbor's wrought-iron fence. Usually, he said, two small dogs are in the neighbor's yard, but they were inside. The tiger, Tucker said, "was intently looking through that fence like it wanted something. It could easily have jumped that fence because it's only 5 feet high."

Tucker woke his wife and teenage daughter and son. "I told them they had to come and see this. Then I called 911 and I said, 'I found the tiger you've been looking for.' "

By the time game wardens arrived at the Tuckers' front door, the tiger had made its way down a steep ravine below their housing development. The ravine sits between California 23 and a public park.

There, trackers from the state Department of Fish and Game, the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Ventura County Sheriff's Department cornered the tiger, and four rifle shots brought it down.
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:04 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

LOL. What was a tiger doing loose in Ventura County? Didn't the owner report its escape or anything?

I wonder if they used a .405 Winchester on it.
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Does anyone one know what would be considered the "classic" Southern California big game gun?
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:40 AM
KI4WWU

Old February 25th, 2005, 10:19 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Nah, no tiger shooting for me. I'm not into shooting the various cats. They're just too noble a creature for me to shoot.

I wonder what the state did with the tiger carcass. Knowing the state, they probably cremated it. But they could have sold the bones and penis to a Chinese herbal shop and made $20,000.
Old April 6th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Rob Davison

Inquiry Is Opened Into Death of Last Known Jaguar in U.S.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/us/05jaguar.html?_r=1

PHOENIX — The federal government has opened a criminal investigation into the capture and death of the last known jaguar in the United States, amid accusations that a biologist working for the state illegally baited a trap to attract the cat.

The 118-pound male jaguar, known as Macho B, was captured on Feb. 18 in a leg-hold snare placed by the Arizona Game and Fish Department in a rugged mountainous area southwest of Tucson. The animal, which was described in field reports as healthy and robust, was tranquilized, equipped with a radio-tracking collar and released from the trap.

The jaguar, which was estimated to be 16 years old, was recaptured with tranquilizing darts on March 2 after wildlife personnel feared that it might be in poor health. It was flown by helicopter to the Phoenix Zoo, where a veterinarian said it had irreversible kidney failure. It was euthanized the same day.

Arizona fish and game officials have repeatedly maintained that the snare that first caught the jaguar had been intended for a mountain lion or a black bear. Wildlife conservationists had argued against using a snare to catch the jaguar because of the high risk it posed to the animal, especially considering its age.

The department and its oversight body, the Arizona Game and Fish Commission, “did not authorize or condone intentional initial capture of this jaguar,” it said in a statement on Thursday.

But a staff member of the Borderland Jaguar Detection Project, a group working with the department on jaguar conservation, said in an e-mail message on Friday that her boss — Emil McCain, the biologist working as a consultant for the department — in early February instructed her to place female jaguar scat within six feet of the leg-hold trap. The scat had been used several times to attract Macho B to come within camera range.

The project member, Janay Brun, said the department had hired Mr. McCain to work on both a black bear and mountain lion study and jaguar conservation efforts. She said that Mr. McCain had given her the scat, which he obtained from the Phoenix Zoo, and that a department employee had been present but said nothing when he told her to put it next to the trap.

Mr. McCain would not comment Friday on Ms. Brun’s accusations, which first appeared Thursday in The Arizona Daily Star. In an interview on Thursday night, Mr. McCain said criminal investigators from the federal Fish and Wildlife Service had questioned him.

A spokesman for the federal agency, Jose Viramontes, said Friday that the investigation would “look at all aspects leading up to the trapping of the animal all the way through to the decision to euthanize it.”

Jaguars were present in much of the Southwest until the early 20th century. By then, they had been nearly exterminated after 100 years of hunting, including a federal eradication program.

Jaguars spotted occasionally in the United States are thought to be from a relatively large population living in Sonora, Mexico.

Old April 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Won Park

Ventura County.....

4 years ago, but, does this qualify for reason for CCW permit?
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:09 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
But a staff member of the Borderland Jaguar Detection Project, a group working with the department on jaguar conservation, said in an e-mail message on Friday that her boss — Emil McCain, the biologist working as a consultant for the department — in early February instructed her to place female jaguar scat within six feet of the leg-hold trap. The scat had been used several times to attract Macho B to come within camera range.

Scat?

I had to look it up.

Quote:
–noun
the excrement of an animal.

That's hilarious. This is the first time I've heard that one. Now I realize why this shit is called scatting:

Man I hate that scooby scooby doo shit.
Old April 7th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Rob Davison

Scat's not my thing either. I went to check out some Mel Torme cause I remember him doing some decent scat but I ended up finding this smoking hot jam.

I never knew Mel played drums.

Old April 9th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Jonathan Hanson

Roseann and I have been intimately involved with the jaguar project here, both on the ground and as fundraisers. It's looking worse and worse for Emil McCain, and if the accusations are true, he deserves to fry.
Old April 9th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

This may be a really silly question... but how does a leg-hold snare cause kidney failure? The stress of the capture?
2016 SoulCraft Dirtbomb
2016 FoundryOverland

You only lost went running out o gas ,the rest is exploring Javier

Old April 12th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Jonathan Hanson

Exactly. It's called capture myopathy. Among other symptoms it causes a drastic buildup of lactic acid.

Plus this jaguar was 16 years old, a fact they knew full well when they captured him.
Old April 13th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Not to mention dehydration depending on how long the animal is in the snare.
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:34 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Pack of Russian squirrels kills dog:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4489792.stm