Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old December 9th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ

[/center]

I've got a motorcycle sitting here getting crated as I type this going to Joe Grima in Germany who, in part, designed and built this car.
Old December 9th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
I want to love Audis, but I can't.
They're just too shitty.

They've made a lot of very cool cars,

...but German cars should just live stronger longer lives than production Auto Union cars do.

I'll chalk that up to your adoration for anything wearing the BMW roundel and your ignorance for anything Audi.

Technically there hasn't been an "Auto Union" production car made since the mid-sixties when Daimler Benz sold to VW. You won't even find the name "Auto Union" used since 1985 when VW changed "Audi NSU Auto Union AG" simply to "Audi AG".

I'm on my third Audi (second Quattro) since 1983. The first two each had well over 400,000 miles on their odometers when they were hit from behind on the freeway and totalled.

My current 2001 Audi S4 has 89,000 miles and other than maintenance (brakes, battery, spark plugs, filters) I replaced the coolant reservoir and re-packed the outside front CV joints and replaced the CV boots.

I've never been stranded or been unable to drive home when driving an Audi.

This reminds me of your preference for the 2003-2005 BMW-engined RR3's. Why would you prefer a truck with 20+ less horsepower, is very noticeably slower off the line, gets worse fuel mileage, costs more for maintenance and parts and is more complex and is more of a pain to work on?

Only because it has a BMW roundel on it.

Admit it, the Jag/Ford engine is a much better match for the Mark III.
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlittle
X2

In addition to the XI we also have a 2003 A4. It's decent at best. The AWD in the bimmer is far superior as is all the interior trim, seats, console etc.

Neither of those cars would be my pick.

However, I still prefer the fully mechanical Quattro system over BMW. While the Quattro system does very well in foul weather driving it really shines in performance driving on dry surfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlittle
Also, the tiptronic shifting in the A4 is pure ass. The steptronic shifting in the bimmer is hella fun, smooth, acurate etc.

I've never owned a sport sedan with an automatic so your preferences are different than mine. However, I'm not a fan of VW/Audi automatics-they are far from excellent. VW/Audi generally builds their own automatic transmissions while BMW generally sources theirs from ZF, or more recently, from GM. I think xi's like yours has a GM transmission.
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghirst
Neither of those cars would be my pick.

However, I still prefer the fully mechanical Quattro system over BMW. While the Quattro system does very well in foul weather driving it really shines in performance driving on dry surfaces.

I've never owned a sport sedan with an automatic so your preferences are different than mine. However, I'm not a fan of VW/Audi automatics-they are far from excellent. VW/Audi generally builds their own automatic transmissions while BMW generally sources theirs from ZF, or more recently, from GM. I think xi's like yours has a GM transmission.

Interesting note, Greg. To be completely fair, the two cars we own are totally different. BMW has the sport package which includes the sport seats, which totally wrap around your torso. The Audi, standard. The BMW has the lowered suspension (stock sport springs) which for the XI isn't as low as a non XI but still lower than the Audi which is also, standard. Both have 17in wheels, BMW stock and AUDI MOMO.

The bad taste I have for Audi's could possibly be the result of having a bad year/ engine. The engine in the A4 blew. 8k later and a new 1.8T and I was not the best person to ask about Audi's.

Also, the manual shifting in an automatic car... In my opinion this is not even an addition. If I wanted a manual car, which I do love, I'd buy one.

LOL, I should also note in all fairness.... Both of these cars are sitting in my garage and both of these cars are for sale.

Old December 10th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Douglas G. Gable

For me, nothing is better than my A8, especially in these upstate NY winters. Not to shabby in the summer either.

61 Series II 109 SW
95 RRC County LWB
06 Range Rover
98 Discovery LE

Old December 13th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghirst

This reminds me of your preference for the 2003-2005 BMW-engined RR3's. Why would you prefer a truck with 20+ less horsepower, is very noticeably slower off the line, gets worse fuel mileage, costs more for maintenance and parts and is more complex and is more of a pain to work on?

I still prefer the BMW powered MKIIIs because I know and trust that powerplant and vehicle. For me it's proven itself. The jury is still out on the Jag powered trucks. They just haven't been around long enough.

It's a lot like when the Bosch powerplant came to the P38. Right off the bat everyone was talking about how it had more horsepower and better mileage, just like you are now. Then they turned out to be way more of a pain in the ass then the GEMS motors.

Time will tell on the Jag powered MKIIIs. For me it hasn't been long enough.

As far as Audi reliability, you must be living in a cave.
It's entirely possible that your B6 S4 and previous quattros were great cars, but the thousands upon thousands of A4s that have gone toe up have put Audi so far behind BMW that I doubt they'll ever catch up. Not to mention that the S-cars have always lagged considerably behind the //M cars. It wasn't until the 4.2 S4 that Audi even got in the game. The TT is also a piece of shit. Even the lowly Z3 kicked the TT's over-weighted ass.

Times change. Maybe Audi will get their shit together.
Look at Porsche. They now make some of the most reliable cars on the planet.
Old December 13th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
I still prefer the BMW powered MKIIIs because I know and trust that powerplant and vehicle. For me it's proven itself. The jury is still out on the Jag powered trucks. They just haven't been around long enough.

Time will tell on the Jag powered MKIIIs. For me it hasn't been long enough.

The truth comes out. You "know and trust" the BMW and don't know about the Jag engine. Your love for all things BMW shines through.

To bring you up to speed-the BMW M62 and the Jag AJ-V8 came out around the same time (1996-97). Both have a similiar good reliability history.

I have nothing bad to say about the BMW 4.4-it's a good engine. However I do think the Jag is a better match for the Range Rover and there's a reason for that:

The Jag had 3 more years of development under Ford than the BMW engine did when it was intially put in the Range Rover. Furthermore, Ford owned Land Rover when the MkIII hit the market so BMW wasn't putting any money into further refinement of the M62 to improve it for use in he Range Rover. Ford started working on the Jag engine to adapt it for Land Rover and the 4.4 Jag engine was the result.

I believe in it enough to take a chance on buying a 2006-the first year the Jag engine was used. In one year and 25k miles the only problem I've had was the radiator replaced under warranty (a German-made Behr) that was leaking. The truck is currently at 52k and doing well.

The Jag engine has definitely proven itself in it's 4th year in the Range Rover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
As far as Audi reliability, you must be living in a cave.

It's entirely possible that your B6 S4 and previous quattros were great cars, but the thousands upon thousands of A4s that have gone toe up have put Audi so far behind BMW that I doubt they'll ever catch up.

If I'm in a cave then you must be in Osama Bin Laden's basement or another planet.

The current 2.0t production engine that is the most common A4 engine is extremely reliable. To argue anything different is sheer ignorance.

Why do you think Audi worldwide production surpasses ALL of BMW? That includes BMW subsidaries Rolls Royce, MINI and BMW Motorcycles! Do you think it's because they build unreliable pieces of crap?

VW-Porsche is currently the world's LARGEST auto company in the world. That's right-LARGER than Toyota.

Even in the current declining sales market-Audi is losing less sales than either BMW or Mercedes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Not to mention that the S-cars have always lagged considerably behind the //M cars. It wasn't until the 4.2 S4 that Audi even got in the game.

Oh man...

Please do some reading. Track times for the S4 versus M3 has bounced back and forth from year to year-not to mention that the RS4 only was in the US for a short time. You do remember that the original M3 was a 4-cylinder, right?

However, track times from magazine tests aren't why I purchase a car. You also recall many testors preferring the handling of the S and RS cars over the M-series cars as being more stable and ultimately the more refined ride-although perhaps less fun. I would agree with that. And I readily admit to loving the M3 and M5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
The TT is also a piece of shit. Even the lowly Z3 kicked the TT's over-weighted ass.

I dislike the TT as much as anyone. It's built on the A3 chassis. It's a 2 seater econobox pretending to be a sports car. Not to mention it's ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Times change. Maybe Audi will get their shit together.

Yes, times do change. Perhaps you'll realize Audi has it's "shit together."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Look at Porsche. They now make some of the most reliable cars on the planet.

IMHO-Porsche reliability has been excellent and improving since the late 80's.

It's the lame ass reliability ratings and methodology that I don't trust.
Old December 31st, 2009, 12:16 PM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

So my wife and I are driving down the street the other day and there's my old 2001 325 for sale in the parking lot of dunkin donuts. Of course I u-turned to check it out. All the rims are curbed to shit, door dings and scratches all down the sides, interior leather beat to shit, ashtray full of dead cigs and a cheesy pep boys "black ice" tree-shaped air freshener hanging from the turn signal stalk (he left the doors open). I nearly shed a tear.

Old December 31st, 2009, 12:53 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

You would have thought some one would have gotten a new air freshener by now.