Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 1st, 2004, 12:51 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

the new toughness?

so what's the scoop on this tough truckin' jazz?
Old October 1st, 2004, 09:34 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Spike TV called us up and asked us to hit John Bull. Who am I to turn down some TV air time?
Old October 2nd, 2004, 05:35 PM
DJ Menasco

What's the air date and time?
Old October 4th, 2004, 09:31 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I think Tough Truckin is aired on Saturdays at 11:30 a.m. Not sure though.

The John Bull episode is supposed to air in November. I don't think the exact date is official yet.
Old October 4th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

"Spike TV called us up and asked us to hit John Bull. Who am I to turn down some TV air time?"

that's it?
that's the scoop?

i was hoping for maybe...

"So I was on the phone with the Discovery channel when I got call waiting, turns out it was Spike TV, told them I'd have to call them back when I finished with Disco Channel. Got everything lined up for the Expeditions feature on Discovery and gave Spike a ring two weeks later. They wanted to hit me up for a zen like performance from the milk truck on some local trails with a bunch of tacos and heeps. Thank god for that truck because I've got total Korean driving syndrome and need the short wheelbase to make me look good. I told them that I'd have to check back to see if there was time after the EE filming of Modern Marvels on the History Channel devoted entirely to the Engel. No scheduling conflict there so we were cool. But did they need Ho? Because P(rada)-Diddy himself (makin-you-leave-the-club-with-a-heat-rash / i-didn't-even-know-they-made-a-roley-for-your-cheapass) was totally swamped with the MTV production of Ho's HOS Korean Trash Wagon My Ride! They said it was cool if just I came and I asked if I could wear my shiney silver Arai. The ball was in motion.
So to make a long story short I schooled a bunch of nasty american japanese abortions with too long/too short wheelbases. They were all fucked up. Cargo all askew and the like. I also outwheeled them with tiger style precision. At one point the praying-green-mantis tacoma busted a half shaft so I coupled my Snap-On IM300 to the dynabrade swivel coming of the PT and let it rip. Before those fools could say "where's my okey socket set?" that shit was buttoned up and ready to flail away some more. Finally after huskying those suckas through most of the trail I headed home to relax the rest of the evening with David Carradine."
Old October 4th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Old October 4th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Craig Kobayashi
KG6CK

I couldn't have said it any better.
Old October 4th, 2004, 12:33 PM
alcruz

Well done!.....
Old October 4th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Jay Allen

"Cargo all askew and the like"

brilliant...
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:47 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

LOL.
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

jack, did you work out the alignment yet?

Old October 4th, 2004, 10:15 PM
marc olivares
KE7MAF

nicely done Jack, nicely done.....

Old October 4th, 2004, 10:20 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

that is some funny shit... you guys should create another bb category: EE Forum Hall of Fame... and archive these posts in there...
Old October 5th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Ho,

I did the alignment but I still gots da vibe. I'm going to pull the driveshafts one at a time to try to isolate the problem. After setting proper toe it's pretty good in a straigh line. with any degree of turn at speed i get vibe in the steering wheel, i assume because of the loss of castor and the switch to MTs. i also can feel vibe in the tcase under throttle at 30mph and 50 mph.

it's pretty neverending but i'll figure it out.
my only real concern is if anything is doing any damage. either bad alignment wearing out the tires or bad dshaft grinign on the r&p or tcase bearings. if nothing is getting hurt i can live with it, but the thought of damage being done is what gets me bent out of shape.

Thanks all.

Sometimes john is just too busy with packing peanunts to type as much as he'd like so I just take it upon myself to speak for him.
without invite or permission of course.
Old October 5th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Rob Davison

Jack I didn't know you had it in you, great post.

As for the packing peanuts. Am I the only one that hates them? I would pay extra if you all quit using them. please?

Rob
Old October 6th, 2004, 05:40 PM
marc olivares
KE7MAF

hey Jack,

the 30 and 50 mph vibes are typically pinion angle related.
whats your pinion to drive shaft angles look like?

Old October 7th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Marc,

rear is pretty good.
i've got those RTE trailing links and i played with the spacers till the pinion was just a little flatter than the dshaft.

the front is kinda kinked up at a funny angle.
i have longer radius arms and a sixstates driveshaft but the pinion is pointed upwards at a sort of funny angle. i'm having a hard time judging what a "normal" angle would be like on a truck with a 3" lift. my friend at my local independent rover shop seems to think the rear looks good and the front looks bad, but he told me to put spacers on the radius arms. i did this begrudgingly b/c i didn't see how it would deflect the pinion (no a arm or 3 link to pivot on) but i did it anyways and sure enough no change so I took the spacers back out.

any thoughts?
Old October 7th, 2004, 05:01 PM
marc olivares
KE7MAF

Jack,

here's what i've done on a few trucks to correct what you are experiencing.
on the rear links, you want the pinion as flat as you can get it with out binding the u-joints.(currently on my truck i have the RTE rear links with a 5/8" spacer) i've found that anything between 5/8"-7/8" will work above 3" of lift w/ tires up to 255/85-16 (on a D1)

the front on the other hand can be a real pain. what i've found is that you want to weight the vehicle down to most you would use it at any time.
and get a spring measurement from perch to perch. (mine fully laden is about 13", 13.75" empty) next, measure the angle of your pinion housing (on the flat section of the housing) and the drive shaft. with a double cardon shaft, you want these angles to be within 3 degrees or less for the DC shaft to work properly. for example, i was running the 3" castor corrected arms and with a d/c shaft i was about 2 degrees on the pinion and 18 degrees on the shaft (vibes at 30 and 50) i switched to a multiple double shaft, most vibes went away but not all. then i tried a lengthened set of stock arms, wandered like crazy and pinion was now 17 degrees while the drive shaft was about 9 degrees (vibes again at 30 and then 50).
finally, i split the difference on the castor correction vs. the lengthened arms. what i came up with was a radius arm that is corrected for the +3" lift at the frame and a castor correction for the axle end at 1.5".
effectively what i did was kept the rear portion of the arm corrected for a 3" lift and the axle side i twisted upward to correct the innitial pinion angle of 2 degrees.
now my pinion angle is 16 degrees on the pinion and 16 degrees on the D/C shaft. and no vibes with about a 4" lift. ( oh, these arms have also been lengthened to accomidate a 33" tire without any front fender trimming)

to measure the pinion angle, so to sears and buy a $10 magnetic protractor. this will help tremendously in pinning down your angle issues. if it is your angles...?

good luck

Old October 11th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Much obliged Marc.

I'm going to use your measurements as a target guideline.

in the meantime, what do you think about my concerns that the current vibe is an indicator of damage being done?
transfer case bearings?

anything getting screwed up?
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:48 AM
marc olivares
KE7MAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
in the meantime, what do you think about my concerns that the current vibe is an indicator of damage being done?
transfer case bearings?

anything getting screwed up?

short answer is yes,
if it vibes, it's out of balance/phase and will cause damage?
as far as a time table? i couldn't tell ya...good luck

any questions, drop me an email.

Old October 11th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Hmmmm.
one more thing.

the vibe is ABSOLUTELY throttle induced.
I tried to go through all the driving variables this weekend and there is nothing at 30 or 50 if i'm off the gas and going down hill.

if i hold on to the transfercase lever I can really feel the vibe quit when I let off the throttle.

does this suggest that the rear is more likely to be the problem than the front?
Old October 11th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

UPDATE:

i pulled the front driveshaft.

100% of the vibe is gone.

one of the bolts on the adapter plate end seemed loose when I was taking it off. however, it was the last bolt i took off and the shaft had started to flex away. hard to tell.

regardless, all of the vibe is gone. including the vibe that seemed to be amplified when turning. i had assumed this was loss of castor and the switch to MTs but with the front dshaft removed it is nonexistant.

what more does this tell me?

pinon angle still the culprit?
driveshaft out of balance?

the front six states dshaft came off another truck and on to mine so I haven't had it since new, but I have had the vibe since I put it on. worth checking the balance?

thanks for the help.
Old October 11th, 2004, 07:41 PM
marc olivares
KE7MAF

take shaft to six states (if D1, make sure you balance the adapter w/ the shaft) they will tell you if your joints are good and recheck your balance.
again, if it's a D1 shaft make sure that the adapter plate is indexed on the shaft correctly (typically indexed w/ arrows or stamps)

if the shaft is good, then is your pinion angles.
what are your angles? have you measure yet?

in any case, it sounds like you're headed in the right direction.
my hunch is still pinion angle

Old October 16th, 2004, 08:30 PM
curtis

Jack - brilliant post!

You & I have the same issues on the vibe. Mine is very slight now, but it still exists. I am going to put in some standard RTE Radius arms tonight and see if the solves the issue. Marc measured my rear and at 3" it was fine. The front sits a bit up-tilted. Funny thing: if I put the equivalent weight of a winch on my bumper it drops the pinion enough to correct the vibe. My point is that it does not take much up or down to swing that pinion.
Old October 30th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Ronnie McKinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
I think Tough Truckin is aired on Saturdays at 11:30 a.m. Not sure though.

The John Bull episode is supposed to air in November. I don't think the exact date is official yet.

Actually, the episode aired earlier today. John, you did a good job although they only showed your Defender a couple of times. I guess since the show is sponsored by Toyota, they mostly showed the Toyotas and whoever the "Cowboy Kenny" guy was riding with... still worth watching overall...