Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old September 6th, 2005, 01:39 PM
James Reed
KI4PBH

Cleaning around the SD rack...

I posted this in Dweb too, but I'll smooth it over for you guys so as to not cramp the culture!

How difficult is it to clean around the SD rack (on a DII)? I mean dried on bug guts and Georgia clay and real nasty stuff...not just leaf goo or bird pudding. Do you cats with SDs pull the rack on a regular basis and just consider it 'scheduled service'?

Usefull info will be rewarded with a CC#
Old September 6th, 2005, 01:56 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Just leave the rack on and clean around the legs. It's not bad at all.
Old September 13th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Stevepurvis

Cool Cleaning!!!!!

Maybe we have got it wrong here in the uk, but anyway, why do you need to do that much cleaning, surely its supossed to be dirty, a light hose down is more than enough....Alternativly you could fit front lights, jerry cans on the roof, sand ladders, a roof tent and a solar panel and then you wont be able to get dirt on the roof hahahahaha..........Remember he(or she!) who dies with the most toys wins..........
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:22 PM
James Reed
KI4PBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevepurvis
Maybe we have got it wrong here in the uk, but anyway, why do you need to do that much cleaning, surely its supossed to be dirty, a light hose down is more than enough....Alternativly you could fit front lights, jerry cans on the roof, sand ladders, a roof tent and a solar panel and then you wont be able to get dirt on the roof hahahahaha..........Remember he(or she!) who dies with the most toys wins..........

We have these nasty beasts in Florida called Love Bugs. Little black and red dudes with guts that eat paint. They hatch twice a year, breed like freaks (glueing their buts together for days) then croak, not to hatch from the ground for another 6 months. The problem is, they are attracted to the heat from the road surface, so they congregate near highways in the country. You drive along the highway, plastering thousands of these things to your car. There, they dry like cement in a matter of minutes, and the acidic guts start to eat the paint. Only Sigourney Weaver would like these things.

Sounds stupid, I know...but anyone who has had experience trying to clean these things off will understand my question. There has to be a way to have a full rack and not have guts slung the length of the roof.
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Stevepurvis

Thumbs up All the best

I wish you the best of luck ...sounds like a nightmare to me........however we have pigeons here (or flying rats, as I call them) also no good on water based vehicle paint.....