Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old September 30th, 2003, 02:24 PM
David Woo

Power Tank regulator

Had an odd situation with my PT recently: after the Alps run, I was airing back up down on Lytle Creek Road. Pulled the PT out of the pelican, attached the hose and turned the knob to start the flow. Heard an audible pop and the needles jumped. Hmm, I looked around, nothing looked weird, disconnected the hose, shook it out in case of dirt/dust, re-attached the hose and started to air up.

After three tires, the hissing sound died down and no Co2 was flowing. Odd, swore I had plenty of CO2 left. Closed the valve, disconnected things, tried again, the hissing started but then died down. Finished airing up at the gas station down by 15.

Today I was finally unloading the truck and tried the PT again: yes, it still has gas! Everything worked as normal. Wonder if some dust or shit got into the regulator and caused a malfunction? Does altitude affect the operation? I did help one truck air down and then air back up while up on the hill.
Pulled the scale out and it weighs about 20.5 lbs: so should have about three or more pounds of CO2 left.

Weird.
DW
Old October 1st, 2003, 08:51 AM
David Woo

regulator

Ron: thanks for the suggestion: I'll give it a try. Would that pop/blow to the regulator diaphragm be enough to have caused the malfunction (only aired up three tires even though there was still CO2 in the tank)?
Guess so. Seems to work normally now.
DW
Old October 1st, 2003, 09:11 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

My guess is that the spring within the regulator was stuck. You can avoid this by releasing the tension in the regulator spring when you're not using the PT. If the problem persists, just let us know and we'll have your regulator repaired by Advanced Air Systems.
Old October 1st, 2003, 09:34 AM
David Woo

regulator

Thanks, John.
DW