Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Trips / Events / Reports
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old August 1st, 2005, 03:39 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Moore-N-Moore Sporting Clays Pics

Aaron and I hit Moore N Moore yesterday for some more punishment. One of the great things about Moore N Moore is the frequency with which they change the target presentations. The targets yesterday were substantially different from the targets we saw the week before. I forced myself to take the camera this time, and am glad that I did.

Here's Aaron on Station 1:

The first target on Station 1 is a very high/quick crosser/driven shot. Imagine shooting a High 8 in Skeet, but stand facing the center peg instead of the High House and that's about what this station is like. The target emanates from one's left and very quickly rainbows over him. Just to make the shot a little more deceiving, Pat Moore arranged the trap so that the target would curve sideways as well as arc over the shooter.

You can see how Aaron had to position himself on the far right of the booth to get an angle on the bird because he's left-handed. I had the advantage of being able to shoot this target normally because I'm right-handed:

Aaron sets up for the shot on Station 2:

Station 2 had two different right-to-left quartering shots, with one shot going faster and straighter and the second shot going higher and lingering in the air before descending rapidly. Aaron's low gun position and gun mount are looking pretty damn good now:

Aaron's even getting down the cool ass catch-the-ejected-hulls action:

Moore N Moore is a range where they don't like it if you leave your hulls on the ground:

Some ranges don't care and other ranges actually like for you to leave your empties on the ground. Every range is different. Moore N Moore leaves baskets at each station for the hulls, so we catch the ejected empties and toss them into the basket. This is one reason why I've never shot my Super 90 at Moore N Moore.

Here I am on Station 3:

As you can see in the target diagram, the left target is a quick quartering shot while the right target is an overhead driven shot. The driven shot floats in the air and it's necessary to lead under it because it's a looper and will be descending at long range by the time you take the shot. Those light spots in the air might be the targets from a simultaneous pair, but I'm not sure.

Station 4 is recessed into the ground:

The targets at Station 4 are very difficult, the most difficult on the entire course (at least for me). There's a left-to-right crosser that's very low and another right-to-left quartering shot that is just barely above the bushes. The recessed station and bushes in front of the station make hitting these low targets even harder. Aaron handled Station 4 very well:

I think I shot the bushes:

Station 5 has two difficult shots that come from different angles and also different speeds:

I think that's the first shot we have that shows the target in the air. And here Aaron tags the second target:

The shots are different enough that some footwork is necessary to hit them both on paired shots:

Without the footwork, one will run out of swing.

Here I am on Station 8 I believe, which involves a long left-to-right crosser combined with a springing teal:

Aaron was able to get a shot of me during the gun mount for the spot shot on the single teal. You can see that my shooting hand changes position slightly on the grip during the gun mount. I didn't even know that I did this. Something else to work on. And I believe this is the shot on the long crosser on the same station:

Next we hit Station 9, which is two slightly quartering shots:

Note that one of the targets is a Mini target. The other was a standard target, but yellow colored instead of orange. Here's the trap for the standard target:

And here's the trap for the Mini:

You can see there how much smaller the Mini targets are. We pulled some targets and snapped some comparison pics:

Left to right are the standard orange, standard yellow, black Midi, and orange Mini. The mini is less than 3" in diameter:

It's so small that a shitload of them fit into a small box:

To make the Mini more difficult, the trap threw it downward and away so that the target wouldn't lose speed and the resulting shot was below the shooter. Here's Aaron during the gun mount for a shot at the Mini:

The orange Mini is very fast, much faster than even the targets in Olympic Bunker. The orange Mini streaking away looks almost like a tracer round going downrange. It's that fast.

And here's Aaron low gun and ready for the standard target on the same station:

You can see the different angles at which the two different targets are thrown. The standard goes high like a High 2 in Skeet and the Mini streaks downhill at great speed. Combine that with the difference in speed and size, and Station 9 is no certainly gimme even though the traps are almost right next to the station and the targets are thrown almost straight away.

Station 10 was next, and when we got there someone was ahead of us so we sat down and waited for him to finish. Here's the guy's Perazzi:

These new 32" target guns are getting extremely long. My gun has 28" barrels with extended chokes and yet it looks dinky compared to that 32" Perazzi and Aaron's 30" Beretta.

Here's Aaron low gun and ready on Station 10:

And here's Aaron with gun mounted and ready to shoot:

He's looking good. Compare those two pics with this pic of Aaron when he was just beginning:

That's a dramatic improvement in form. No more scrunching of the head and neck, and the gun comes up to the face instead of the face coming down to the gun. A little break at the waist and slightly more leaning forward of the torso. Nice.

Here's Aaron with my gun:

Aaron, I think you're ripe for a 30 or 32" K-80 SuperSport. You look good with a K-80 and the K-80 looks good on you.

Note how small the 28" K-80 looks in Aaron's hands:

Here I am shooting the same gun:

Notice how the gun looks so much larger when I'm shooting it. I really want 30" barrels but the main reason I don't shoot 30" barrels is because I feel as though the gun looks huge on me, and I feel a little ridiculous and self-conscious. Here I am low gun and about to call for the target:

And bang:

After the Sporting Clays was over, we went over to the pattern plate for some patterning play. Here I am patterning my gun at about 20 yards or so:

Here's the pattern from my bottom barrel:

Choke was the Krieghoff Ti improved cylinder. Load was the WOLF Handicap 8. That's a very nice pattern.

Aaron also let me pattern his Beretta:

Patterns from my IC chokes about match the patterns from Aarons' Skeet choke. Patterns from Aaron's IC choke run noticeably tighter than the patterns from my IC chokes. Skeet is 0.005" nominal constriction while IC is 0.010" constriction. So my gun needs about 0.005" more constriction than Aaron's to achieve similar patterns.

Aaron's wood is considerably darker now than it was when the gun was new, and looking good:

And thus ended another day at Moore N Moore:

(Note how much thinner Aaron's Beretta is compared to my K-80. From butt pad, to comb, to wrist, to action, to forend, and to barrels, the Beretta is thinner and sleeker. I dig the thick butt and comb, but on everything else I'm jealous.)
Old August 1st, 2005, 05:07 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

I wonder why there are no pictures of broken targets??
Old August 1st, 2005, 06:15 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Next time I'll bring my camera for pics. Not that it's any better than yours John, but I have the timing of the pictures figured out on mine. Maybe I can get some pics of you smokin' some targets!!!
Old August 1st, 2005, 06:18 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
I wonder why there are no pictures of broken targets??

Gee, could it be because we didn't hit jack shit all day?

Definitely bring your camera next time. I think your camera takes nicer pictures in any case, and with your added familiarity I think the pics will turn out nicer.

I've got to get a pocket camera too. That Sony 707 is too clumsy to carry around the clays course. The 707 is old enough now that it wouldn't surprise me at all if the latest pocket cams took nicer pics than the 707 can.
Old August 1st, 2005, 06:32 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

I really like your idea of taking form shots, John. I would have had no idea at all that my form had changed so dramatically in so short a period!

This doesn't even look comfortable!

And now I almost look like I know what I am doing!

Here I can see that I will eventually need to get a cast on stock.

While the pictures are a lot of fun. It definately detracts from the shooting experience (at least for me). Watching how another shooter goes after a target is a lot of fun.
Old August 1st, 2005, 06:36 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Changing the subject just a bit...

I found this: Gamebird Hunts
Old August 1st, 2005, 06:43 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Yeah, I definitely felt it when we were snapping pics. I didn't get to see your hits and misses and didn't get a read on the targets before it was my turn. I think that is one of the reasons why we didn't break as many targets as the week before. Perhaps we should break out the camera only once in a while, if only to keep track of our form and to take pics of "group" shoots like the last one at Triple B. That might be a nice compromise.

On the stock fit, I think you're getting good enough now that the cast-off on your Beretta is affecting your performance. You're accommodating yourself to your gun and you're definitely hitting, but I think your gun mounts are affected by the need to cant your head slightly. I think the cast-off toe could make you more tired as well after hundreds of jabs into your shoulder pocket. These things aren't huge things but it wouldn't surprise me at all if your scores jumped up considerably after you got accustomed to a cast-on gun.

For that hunting thing, I think Jack has something planned for early September. If we're fortunate enough to go, I think it'll be great fun.

Old August 1st, 2005, 07:39 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Looks like a great outing. I'm sure that Keith and Luke are as sorry as I am that we haven't made it back yet.
Moore 'n Moore looks really well done. I love that the course utilize rise and fall in the terrain to compliment the target presentation. The "flatlander" triple B type of course is just too golf-like.

Don't worry Aaron, we'll have plans for mid September if not sooner.

The question is will I crumble and buy the LCS Grade I 16 bore by then...
Old August 2nd, 2005, 06:06 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Yes, yes you will. You must. Resistance is futile.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 06:28 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Ain't that the truth!
Old August 2nd, 2005, 06:40 PM
ryanspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Aaron, I think you're ripe for a 30 or 32" K-80 SuperSport. You look good with a K-80 and the K-80 looks good on you.

Who are you? The Devil! "do it... do it"
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:51 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Aaron's time is coming. He's already poised for some K-80 action. Soon he'll go from this:

To this:

Look at how nice it looks in his hands.

Before:

After:

With 30" or 32" SuperSport barrels the gun will suit him perfectly and he'll be stylin.

Aaron doesn't know it yet, but he's a K-80 kinda guy. The K-80 is every bit as ugly, heavy, Teutonically complex, quirky, funky, unique, desirable, comfortable, smooth, precise, and absolutely cool as his beloved GS Adventure.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:04 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I guess John has some maternal tendencies because the K80 has a face only a mother could love, and apparently he's ready to play matchmaker for his daughter.

as far as:
"every bit as ugly, heavy, Teutonically complex, quirky, funky, unique, desirable, comfortable, smooth, precise, and absolutely cool as his beloved GS Adventure"

I was kind of thinking that the German analogy was more like
this:

=

Old August 3rd, 2005, 07:30 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

So... maybe John is right then. 'Cause I do like the Isetta!!!! No more O/Us for me though... I think the future is in SxS!!!!
Old August 3rd, 2005, 07:53 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Oh shit. Aaron's hooked.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:13 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

How about this:

=

=

=

=