Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 4th, 2008, 08:15 AM
marc olivares
KE7MAF

definately one of the thing I miss most about LA
when I was a kid, my dad and I would hit the Tommy's on rampart.

man what great memories!

Old April 4th, 2008, 08:52 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

My parents used to take my brother and me to Tommy's regularly when we were kids. I love that place.

Things have changed a little bit. When I was a kid, there was a chile pepper in the burger and the sodas were in bottles. But the place has changed very little over the years.

Definitely a great place to pig out.
Old April 4th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Read Kerlin
KI6CSI

My Dad and I would also go to Tommy's. We would always went to the one across the street from the Bud brewery in the valley. To this day when I smell brewing beer I think of a Tommy's burger.
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:49 PM
marcus vitale
KI6NVU

seeing that tommys made me almost want to drive up there and grab a burger. man its been too long. anyone recall all the fake or knock off spots that popped up in the 80's. my favorite TO MY SR's
Old April 5th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

The pictures remind me of this place in downtown Atlanta http://www.thevarsity.com/history.php

I ate there last February and it seemed no different from when I ate there 24-years ago. My grandfather, father, and I would hit the Varsity before Braves games in the 80's.

"Have your money in your hand and your order in your mind. What'll ya have!?"
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:17 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

My brother caught the photography bug, and he's been looking for subjects. That's why he hit Tommy's. He's planning to photograph the older LA restaurants. My brother also hit Philippe's:

Philippe's has been around a century:

Inside:

Iced tea is $0.60:

I forgot what coffee cost at Philippe's. I think it was a quarter or even a dime.

I wonder if anyone uses the phone booths any longer:

The food:

My favorite is the lamb sandwich with swiss. I like the turkey the least, but they're all good. My "usual" when I hit Philippe's after a long absence is a lamb and swiss sandwich, side of potato salad, deli pickle, apple pie, and a Coke.

I think my brother had the beef the last time he went:

The apple pie:

The Philippe's crew:

As with Tommy's, I wasn't fortunate enough to be with my brother when he hit Philippe's. I used to lunch at Philippe's a great deal in law school because of its proximity to Loyola Law School. But I hadn't been to Philippe's in a long time. The last time I was at Philippe's was a few months ago, when I had to go to Ross Cutlery. I stopped by Philippe's and pigged out. It was good.
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

Love, Philippes!!

Last few times I've been there it was way to crowded, so I haven't been back.
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Won Park

John,

What camera is your brother using?
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

He has a Nikon setup. D300 + a growing selection of lenses.

He just picked up some carbon fiber tripod. He's got the fever.

Old April 5th, 2008, 01:02 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by read
My Dad and I would also go to Tommy's. We would always went to the one across the street from the Bud brewery in the valley.

Man, you gotta go to the Tommy's on Beverly and Rampart:

I suppose Valley Tommy's is better than no Tommy's, but I feel ripped off at any Tommy's that serves fries. Gotta have the Hostess pies and Ding Dongs.

And the drinks in the wax cups is another rip off.
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:20 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

My brother also sent me some pics from the Pantry:

The Pantry isn't quite as old as Philippe's:

But it's been around a long time. My nephew freaked out at the worn floor in front of the cashier:

You know the Pantry is the real deal. It's CASH ONLY:

The wait staff wears different uniforms now:

When I was a kid, the waiters wore white aprons that went from the waist to the ankles. It was a very distinctive look, and one I remember quite well.

Also different is the lack of iced vegetables on the table:

There used to be iced celery, carrots, etc. on each table. When you sat down, you could just grab some veggies and start eating. I think the health department closed down that practice.

In a joint like this, you gotta have the steak sauce:

Don't try to be Uptown and not put steak sauce on your steak at the Pantry. Sauce it up.

The meat:

In the foreground is a New York. The plate adjacent to the Coke is ham steak and eggs. I still remember the ham steak at the Pantry. It has the bone in the middle. When I was a kid, that's how I knew the Pantry's ham was the real deal: it had a bone in it.

The Pantry's french toast:

Unfortunately, my brother said the food wasn't very good. Apparently, the food is much worse than when we were kids. My brother isn't the only one who thinks so. The place was nearly empty:

When I was a kid, one had to wait in line outside the restaurant for quite a while before getting seated.

Still to hit on my brother's list are joints like Canter's, Pink's, Langer's, Lawry's, and so on. I'll post more pics as he sends them to me.
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:54 PM
David Woo

great shots, John....

you're making me feel like an old timer: lots of memories of the Pantry with my family on christmas mornings, cutting classes at Marshall and doing lunch at Tommy's (and getting suspended from the tennis team for that, lol), going to Philippe's after doing the produce market with my Dad at 5 am..
The kids were asking about another EE junk food run, so we went to Pink's last sunday night, waited for 90 minutes in line with asian and hispanic tourists who didn't know what chili was...

Great stuff.
DW

ps: lottery tix, ramen, chili dogs: it's gotta be an EE thread, lol.
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Thomas Kimura
N6BZ

Did they shoot parts of LA Confidential at the pantry? The inside looks a lot like the inside of the Night Owl cafe.
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Read Kerlin
KI6CSI

Stopped by here the other night:

for one of these:

It's a great way to cap off a late night of beer and shuffle puck across the street at the Cozy Inn.
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:38 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Once in a while, I'll hit Martin Retting's gun shop and then wash it all down with some Johnnie's. It's a good tag team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaskimura
Did they shoot parts of LA Confidential at the pantry? The inside looks a lot like the inside of the Night Owl cafe.

It's been a while since I've seen L.A. Confidential, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Pantry. Whenever I see "LA" movies like Chinatown or L.A. Confidential or Blade Runner or Heat, part of me tries to figure out where the scenes were filmed. And I remember wondering where the Night Owl Cafe was filmed, and I couldn't figure it out.
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Won Park

It was JJ's sandwich shop on 6th street, downtown.

I don't know if they are still around. All of the area is getting torned down and being converted into lofts.
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Nadir_E

I used to eat occasionally at the Yorkshire Grill - not as big or well known as the Pantry, but a similar feel. Greasy spoons are fun places to eat from time to time!

+1 for the original Tommy's on Rampart - many fond memories of that place (like John, I remember the glass-bottled sodas).

-n
Old April 6th, 2008, 04:47 PM
marc olivares
KE7MAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
The pictures remind me of this place in downtown Atlanta http://www.thevarsity.com/history.php

I ate there last February and it seemed no different from when I I there 24-years ago. My grandfather, father, and I would hit the Varsity before Braves games in the 80's.

"Have your money in your hand and your order in your mind. What'll ya have!?"

I've eaten at this place, while visiting ATL
it's good, but no tommys... that place is an institution!

Old April 6th, 2008, 06:41 PM
David Lucas

I wasn't particularly impressed with The Varsity either. Growing up a couple hundred miles east of Atlanta, I heard about it growing up but I never visited until I was in my twenties. I imagine like other places in this thread, if I had gone there as a child, it would have been more impressive. Or maybe it would have actually been better years ago. It just seemed like a hometown restaurant with a great location in ATL that was marginally better than a fast food place.

This is a place that I actually grew up visiting which does bring back fond memories.

edit: I forgot my favorite place in Atlanta for lunch: "Kool Korners" is authentic cuban sandwich shop on 14th near the GT campus. Cash only, enough room for a line to snake through the place (and that's about it), and the Cubans would yell at the customers who couldn't place their order fast enough. I haven't been there since 2004.

Old April 7th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Brett Gottdener

Wow, I haven't been to Philippe's in years. Delicious. Wonderful images by the way. The b&w really adds to the shot of "Philippe's crew". Is that a use of sepia in the historical image?

Brett
Old April 7th, 2008, 08:03 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Los Angeles Times Magazine did a piece on Philippe's yesterday:

http://www.latimes.com/features/prin...photogallery?1

My father saw the piece and wanted to hit Philippe's again, so the entire Lee Clan went to Philippe's yesterday and pigged out.

It was damn good.
Old April 7th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Will Roeder
KI4PLZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc olivares
I've eaten at this place, while visiting ATL
it's good, but no tommys... that place is an institution!

Thats funny, I grew up eating at the Varsity. Went there with my dad before every Braves game. I love the place. I've been to Tommys, and thought "its good, but no Varsity".
Old April 7th, 2008, 08:30 AM
KI4WWU

Yeah, to me the V is as much a way of life down here as Coca-Cola... Down the street from my neighborhood is an old pharmacy with a "soda fountain" counter and tables. The place is famous for it's chili and hotdogs, the crown jewel being the Dinglewood Pharmacy's "Scrambled Dog". I'll take a pic and post it up when I get back from the beach this weekend.

Old April 7th, 2008, 03:02 PM
ca_surveyor

I grew up on the Varsity also. That place was fun. Also, the Waffle House for Steak & Eggs in the early AM was a winner.

Tommy's at 3am is good, but not as many pretty women as the Varsity.
Old April 7th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Pretty women at the varsity, lol? I must have missed that.

Ron,
You're not talking about the Rx in Clarkston, are you? I lived in Scottsdale in College (yeah, I know....) and remember the Rx there from when I was little. I never went back in, though.