Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 6th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Daniel Davis

Anyone run this Michelin?

I can honestly say that I have never seen/heard of someone running this tire: Michelin LTX A/T (LT245/75R16/E). Why? Michelin's, although French, are the only way to roll.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ltx_a_t.jpg (22.7 KB, 10 views)
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Daniel Long

Ack, there's a reason you don't see many out there.

My father had a set of these on a Dakota and they were horrid. They were loud, sucked in the rain and dusty roads, and they had a funky tread wear that made them worthless after around 7.5k miles.

After seeing these tires in action I swore I'd never buy Michelins.

To be honest I didn't even knew they sold them anymore, I can't imagine they sell many of them with BFG A/T's & the like working perfectly well as competition.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Steve Cooper

I've seen a few Land Rovers sporting the LTX A/Ts - they are a "light truck" tire and as such not very aggressive. You don't see them too much 'cos they're not inexpensive and your average off-roader goes for the BFG A/T or M/Ts given the choice. A better (available) Michelin choice is the XPS Traction although they are very limited in size choice - 235/85-16 being the most appropriate for LRs.

I'm a little biased being a die-hard Michelin fan - I personally prefer the more agressive XZL and XCL tires but good luck finding them..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xps_traction.jpg (22.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg XCL_8.25R16.JPG (71.9 KB, 10 views)
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Daniel Davis

I see. I have heard a ton of good things about the bf a/t. I probably will end up with those. Unless, someone points out a better alternative.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

one reason I went with the XPS Traction: steel belted sidewall.

Old May 7th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Daniel Davis

An XZL would be awesome, but I do have to daily drive this vehicle and if I was lucky enough to find five of those tires, I wouldn't want to use them up on pavement. My G4 originally had MT/Rs on it as a team vehicle in the challenge, but I hesitate to get these because they are typically poor in quality. Maybe thirty bags of equal would do the trick.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Steve Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis
I see. I have heard a ton of good things about the bf a/t. I probably will end up with those. Unless, someone points out a better alternative.

So when you said "Michelin's, although French, are the only way to roll" you were only joking. You'll like the BFG A/Ts. They are tough - except for the sidewalls and their tendency to fall off the rim when aired down
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Steve Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis
My G4 originally had MT/Rs on it as a team vehicle in the challenge, but I hesitate to get these because they are typically poor in quality. Maybe thirty bags of equal would do the trick.

I'd take MT/Rs over BFGs from what I've seen on the trail. As a daily driver - probably the BFG AT.

I keep a set of street tires on the old alloys - Pirelli STs - they're awesome on tarmac - just don't take them off-road.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

Steve,

now that you mention, I remember helping people on the trail with their bead issues a few times, and I think they were all BFG ATs.

Old May 7th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Steve Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochung
Steve,

now that you mention, I remember helping people on the trail with their bead issues a few times, and I think they were all BFG ATs.

Here are two I remember personally - I changed them both

And those are my Pirelli STs on the RRC - also great in the sand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 030.jpg (44.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg pismoAT.jpg (86.9 KB, 29 views)
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Daniel Davis

Humor me on this scenario:

I pick up some MT/Rs in LT245/75R16, spend weeks finding an excellent tire balancing shop (road force maybe?), but before having them mounted I have them siped. I also have them toss in a bag of equal per tire.

Now I don't know anything really about siping other than it helps a bit on wet or icy roads maybe?

Would the compound on this tire be ok for siping (I've heard of them loosing chunks and would think that siping would make this worse)?

Is it somewhat reasonable to consider this tire as a daily driver tire? (I don't really want to entertain the idea of secondary rims/tires).
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:22 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I don't like Goodyear MT/R tires. They don't balance.
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Brett Gottdener

I'm on my second set of MTR's in the 265/75 size. I have them on my RRC, the old set (with ample tread left) went on my '72 SIII. I use the RRC in Colorado, and have found them to work beautifully in foul weather. Excellent traction in snow...fresh, old, or icy.

I suppose that I have just been lucky with balancing, but mine seem to be wearing fine. The old set was, and is, balanced with lead weights. They do have somewhat uneven wear, but not nearly as bad as the old style BFG MT's (lot's of "cupping" on those) I had prior. The new set of MTR's, balanced with equal, has been wearing very well, producing a static "hum" going down the road.

As far as siping on MTR's. I don't think it is necessary at all. The tread blocks don't really lend themselves to siping as well as the BFG MT. I've driven on some extremely sharp rock in Colorado and up in the Copper Basin of Idaho, and have never had problems with chunking, though I image I would have if the tires were siped.

Cheers,
Brett
SIII, RRC
www.GottdenerDesigns.com