Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 8th, 2007, 04:29 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

That's the Gillette Sensor on the left I believe. I have this one and the Sensor Excel. I think the Excel had gray-colored plastic on the head and handle.

I also have the Mach 3 (second on the left) and the Mach 3 Power (third on the left).

I don't know what the fourth razor is. I must have missed this one.

I skipped the Fusion (the fifth one) and went right to the Fusion Power (on the far right). I'm currently using the Fusion Power.

The razors are dirt cheap so I "upgrade" whenever a new model comes out and I'm out of blades for the older models.
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman

If you can find them, this is the best razor you can get, IMO. American Safety Razor sells the blades.

Oh man. I've used those safety razors. Be sure and buy a crap load of styptic pencils with that...

Rob's advice is sound IMHO. I've used Braun shavers for ~25 years. I'm on my third one (the others didn't break-just batteries stopped holding a charge) The one I have now is a 7526 I bought in 2001. The 8000 series is even nicer and shaves closer.

I also have a couple of the cheap chinese-made Braun shavers like Ryan posted (a 350 and a 575). They work in a pinch but not as close a shave. At least they take AA bats.

After a couple/three days without shaving I don't like to use an electric shaver-feels like it's pulling rather than shaving. I just use a cheap gillette disposable, shaving cream and hot water.

And I keep a styptic pencil handy.

Oops-forgot. I had a Payer shaver about 15 years ago. I liked it but accidently left it at an airport. Don't know where you can even buy those anymore.

Last edited by greghirst : May 8th, 2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Scott Kirn

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee

That's the Gillette Sensor on the left I believe. I have this one and the Sensor Excel. I think the Excel had gray-colored plastic on the head and handle.

I also have the Mach 3 (second on the left) and the Mach 3 Power (third on the left).

I don't know what the fourth razor is. I must have missed this one.

I skipped the Fusion (the fifth one) and went right to the Fusion Power (on the far right). I'm currently using the Fusion Power.

The razors are dirt cheap so I "upgrade" whenever a new model comes out and I'm out of blades for the older models.

I have a feeling that these space aged razors are one of the biggest rackets in marketing, similar to the high cost of breakfast cereals. They add on one little "feature", raise the price, and subsequently your previous blades don't fit the new "improved" razor. They've got these non-slip grips as if you would be shaving while chasing tornados or something. And the names are just ridiculous. The only improvement they've ever done that made sense to me was the flexibile blades. I remember a commercial where they compared the curves your face to a bowling ball, and asked why anyone would use a non-flexible blade to shave a bowling ball. (I think it was the Schick Tracer).

That being said, I still buy them.
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:58 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I still buy them as well.

For one, the razors are dirt cheap. I believe Gillette is the one who started selling the razors at cost and making money on the blades. That's why I don't feel ripped off buying the latest model when I run out of blades for the old model.

Second, I believe each model is an actual improvement over the past model. The improvements are subtle, but they are there I think. The improvements are not patently apparent until you get accustomed to the new model and then switch back to the old model for comparison's sake. Then the old model, which used to work just fine, doesn't seem to work as well any longer.
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Scott Kirn

Quote:
I still buy them as well.

For one, the razors are dirt cheap. I believe Gillette is the one who started selling the razors at cost and making money on the blades.

I believe you are right...I remember that from my economics courses. Cell phone companies found that out as well, and many times give their phone away knowing that the real money is in the call plan. As time goes on, more and more companies are going to realize that profit is achieved through superior service and support, and has less to do with the product itself.

Quote:
That's why I don't feel ripped off buying the latest model when I run out of blades for the old model.

I have the opposite problem. I find out I can't buy my razor anymore, but still have a bunch of blades for it. So I am forced to "upgrade", and throw out my old blades.
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Matt Kendrick
KI6CGL

i have all those silly razors too. i will say though that my current ride, the fusion power job, works pretty damn well. i still think the blades are expensive, i usually get them in that mega pack from costco.

at one point my wife bought this weird oil kit from brookstone or sharper image or one of those gimmicky stores. it came with a little acrylic razor holder that you filled up with some minty kind of oil to soak it in. it made the blades last three times longer. i just got tired of knocking it over on the counter. it did work though.
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

Interestingly enough the History Channel had a program last night about Gillette.

He was the inventor of our cherished disposable razor... Coming to the conclusion that there was more profit to be made by constantly reselling the same item to the same consumers. This in turn kicked off a "gold rush" of disposable products of lower quality, not made to last.

Which I firmly believe has led us into this spiral of degradation within society.

...I own about 5 different models although I hardly use them.
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Trevor Tarr
K6TAT

Quote:
For one, the razors are dirt cheap. I believe Gillette is the one who started selling the razors at cost and making money on the blades....
Second, I believe each model is an actual improvement over the past model....

Totally agree. I'm a sucker for the constantly-evolving Gillette razors. And I also do seem to notice improvements from generation to generation. My current razor, Costco actually mailed gratis. Must be targeted marketing based on past purchases. The profit is definitely in the blades, but I'll also always use up my current inventory before moving on.

Old May 9th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Ryan Tolentino

Quote:
That's the Gillette Sensor on the left I believe.

The Gillette Sensor was the furthest I got in the razor evolutionary phase. Right now, as plain as it is, I just enjoy the simplicity of the Cro-Magnon Gillette Atra.

Has anyone sported the single-blade razor routine?

Old May 9th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrovr

Has anyone sported the single-blade razor routine?

I paid to get it done once with these guys... Pretty amazing shave to say the least.

http://www.theshavebeverlyhills.com/...id=6&chapter=0
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Matt Kendrick
KI6CGL

"japanese style deep shave"?
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:58 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

In my young fogey days, I tried the straight razor. It sucked. People will tell you that the straight razor is the closest possible shave you can get, but I wholeheartedly disagree. It's no contest between the straight razor and the modern razor like Gillette Fusion. It's not even close.

The straight razor has a tremendous appeal to it, because it has a lot of ritual going for it. You bust out the badger brush and soap up your face, and it takes a good amount of concentration and time to shave with a straight razor. There's also a certain appeal to honing and stropping your razor to keep it sharp. There's also an appeal to buying a razor that you will keep for many years instead of chucking the disposable blades on a modern razor. When I get my hair cut at the barber shop, I feel ripped off unless the barber cleans me up with a straight razor. And I think this pic is basically a joke:

But I gave up on the straight razor. The results sucked. Note that I'm not saying the results were not worth the effort. Rather, the results sucked. It didn't shave as well as a modern razor. It's like comparing the Edge Pro to wet stones. It's no contest.
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Won Park

Uni-brow Surgery $20+

and what is Sweater Removal for $35+
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:02 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
John,

I urge you to take the Pepsi challenge with one of the higher end electric shavers. It's not like you are locked in to the purchase. Simply return it if you are dissatisfied.

Rob

Well, I went to Costco last night to buy some supplies for the shop, and I picked this up:

It includes the baby Braun for $140, so I just bought it.

I doubt I'll like this 360 thing as much as the blade razor, but I'll give it a try. I remember when I bought my Braun Oral B electric toothbrush. I thought it was a joke but was willing to give it a try. I will never go back to a standard toothbrush after using the electric.

My brother has skin irritation from shaving so if I don't like this razor I'll give it to my brother. But I'll keep the baby Braun for the trail.
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

Quote:
But I gave up on the straight razor. The results sucked. Note that I'm not saying the results were not worth the effort. Rather, the results sucked. It didn't shave as well as a modern razor. It's like comparing the Edge Pro to wet stones. It's no contest.

The straight razor may have been a little much for the spider leg hair fu man chu... On my shag carpet of density that I carry on my face, it was as nice a shave as I've ever had.
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Whatever blade you use, make sure this is on your face at the time:

KIEHL'S is the ultimate.

All my personal products are from KIEHL'S. Shampoo, conditioner, face wash, lip balm, soap, etc..
All KIEHL'S.

Their men's collection is very complete but is suprisingly masculine and hetero.

KIEHL'S is all about the sports.

Even Madeline get's in on the KIEHL'S.

A hunting dog's life isn't always the cleanest.

So if she want's to look her best, she turns to KIEHL'S.

You may not be as hardworking as Madeline, but you probably deserve KIEHL'S anyways.
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:08 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanablur
The straight razor may have been a little much for the spider leg hair fu man chu... On my shag carpet of density that I carry on my face, it was as nice a shave as I've ever had.

It's quite understandable why you liked that shave. I think what's happening is that the barbershop shave is a very appealing thing. It's like a spa thing for men. There's a lot of ceremony and ritual in it. The barber throws a hot towel on your face. While your face softens up, the barber strops the razor back and forth. You can hear the steel against the leather. It's a very pleasant sound. Then he soaps you up with that bitchin badger brush. He tests the razor with his fingernail; it's fucking sharp. Then he's got this razor-sharp blade against your face and neck. If he wanted to kill you right then and there, he could easily do it. You can feel and hear the razor scraping away at your facial hair and face. You marvel at his skill. Then he wipes you down and slaps on the aftershave. Quite understandably, you come out of the experience feeling bad ass.

If he used a modern razor on you, it wouldn't be the same. You wouldn't be in the same danger. The shave would be closer, but it just wouldn't be the same. You would feel ripped off.
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:42 PM
craigc

[quote=JSQ]Whatever blade you use, make sure this is on your face at the time:

KIEHL'S is the ultimate.

All my personal products are from KIEHL'S. Shampoo, conditioner, face wash, lip balm, soap, etc..
All KIEHL'S.

Even Madeline get's in on the KIEHL'S.

Jack - completely agree - have used all those products and still do for my golden retriever...

You have to try this too - I like this shaving cream just as much.

http://www.bravesoldier.com/1/main.php#
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:51 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I tried both the Braun 360

and the baby Braun:

The baby Braun is out. It's a pile. I tried it and it shaved all right. Had I purchased this model alone, I probably would have been satisfied with it. But in comparison to the 360, the baby Braun is horrible. The baby Braun vibrates more and it pulls the stubble much more than the 360. In contrast, the 360 is very smooth and I feel very little irritation after using it. The 360 also gives a closer shave. I guess that's why the baby Braun sells for $15 and the 360 sells for $140.

The baby Braun is also quite large. It's just a hair smaller than the 360, so it really doesn't serve any use.

The 360 comes with a travel vault:

When encased in the vault, the 360 won't turn on inadvertently. The travel vault is very small, barely larger than the 360's outer dims. Inside the vault is a plastic guard for the 360's foil and a brush for manual cleaning while traveling.

I also tried the automated cleaning function on the 360:

It's actually really sweet. The 360 emerges from the cradle all minty fresh.

Here's the 360 charging in the cradle:

Per Rob's advice, I'm going to try the 360 for the next month and see how things go. At worst the 360 will be my trail razor. Time will tell if the 360 will replace the Fusion. I doubt it will, but one never knows.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Read Kerlin
KI6CSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by parantaeyang
what is Sweater Removal for $35+

Old May 9th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Rob Davison

that self cleaning is one of the keys to why the braun is so nice. my buddy cheaped out and got the base model a few years back when Braun started pushing this new line of electric razors and reported it started to have an odor after a few weeks. he returned it for the delf cleaning model and said it was a huge difference.

It does take a few weeks to get used to it. so go the full month if you can.

last, before using the auto clean , shave and then wait a few minutes before cleaning as i find i often have to go back for a spot i missed and have to yank it out of auto clean mode and use it with the alcohol solution on it and it burns like hell.

i autoclean after every use and carge when it says it needs it.

i replace the blades every three months instead of 6 months just cause i want the thing tip top.
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:39 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I'll definitely go the full month. I have to get accustomed to shaving with an electric. We'll see if I miss the ritual of shaving with a blade.
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:02 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I had to remember to shave before getting in the shower this morning. It's weird.
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:34 PM
KI4WWU

This has been most interesting. I've been shaving with Barbasol and a Gillette Good News! double blade disposable for the past 25 years. I tried a Gillette safety razor with Super Blue blades for a while in the late 80's and it cut the shit out of my chin almost everytime. No finesse there, just cutting. I did try some fancy Braun electric job in college. I must have just finished reading American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis or something and wanted to get all cosmopolitan. I never felt like the shave was as close, and my face felt strange, almost numb, for a while afterwards. Not for me.

So I enjoy the whole shaving process in the mornings. Hot shower, as hot as I can stand it. Then I hop out and lather my face up with the Barb. Hot water fills the sink and then I turn it off while I shave. Finish the shave and towel off the shave cream I didn't hit. Then I take a very hot hand towel and wrap it on my face. While holding that on my face I start the cold water running into the sink. As the hot towel starts to cool, I remove it from my face, then I cup the cold water in my hands and splash it on my face. I can feel the pores slam shut. Whole routine takes 30 minutes (shower and shave)

That's the best, well, second best way to start any day.

Old May 10th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Rob Davison

i shave the night before, 5 min shower in the AM and out the door in fifteen min after i wake up. eat two granola bars and drink a water before i get to the first red light, pull into work fashionably late at 8:04