Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 10th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Matt Kendrick
KI6CGL

you get up at like 7:30 everyday? damn, must be nice.
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:43 PM
reelpain

I heard Benchmade is coming out with a portable razor.

Saw a cute skit on SNL about the ridiculous "mach" series Gillettes.
At mach 3 you lost your eye brows, mach 4 you lost your lips, mach 5 you lost your nose...Well you get the picture. Quite funny!

What are they up to now "Mach 9" or some $*%@ !

I've got a small Hitachi I bought in Japan that has the plug on the bottom of the razor, very small and sleek. Does the Job, but Im still ugly!
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
i shave the night before, 5 min shower in the AM and out the door in fifteen min after i wake up. eat two granola bars and drink a water before i get to the first red light, pull into work fashionably late at 8:04

LOL-I will admit I shave and have my first cup of coffee while sitting on the freeway in the morning.
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:31 AM
KI4WWU

5 minute shower? I should work on speeding it up a bit, I bet I'm in there at least 10 or 12 minutes.

I'm up at 6am, breakfast at 630am (Kashi go-lean with fat-free milk and a Diet Coke), watch a little Fox & Friends news and I'm dressed and out the door by 715am (unless taking the kids to their school which means we don't leave until 740am) and at my office by 730am.

I suppose every man's routine is different, and for good reason.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
Rob Davison

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Per Rob's advice, I'm going to try the 360 for the next month and see how things go. At worst the 360 will be my trail razor. Time will tell if the 360 will replace the Fusion. I doubt it will, but one never knows.

Do we have an update John?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:05 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

We do.

I've been using the razor almost every day since I got it. I missed two days though because I inadvertently took a shower before shaving. On those two mornings I used the Fusion Power.

I like this Braun a lot. The Braun doesn't pull on the stubble at all. The shave is very close for an electric. I think it's as close or closer than any other electric I've tried. I think the best thing about this razor is the cleaning feature on the cradle. Every time I use the razor it comes out of the cradle all minty fresh and ready to shave. As you know, electrics get stinky over time. But not this Braun.

My only reservation about the Braun is that it doesn't shave as close as a blade. In the mornings it can be hard to tell the difference, as the Braun does a very good job (although the two mornings I shaved with a blade the shave felt super close because I had grown accustomed to the electric). It's in the afternoons when I can see some light stubble poking out of my skin that I realize my shave wasn't as close as I'm accustomed to getting with a blade. If I scratch my face while driving home at night, I feel more stubble than I'm accustomed to feeling with a razor. If I were going out that night, I would definitely re-shave if I had the opportunity. And I have very light beard growth.

I'm still on the fence about the electrics. It doesn't take me any less time to shave with the Braun than it does with the Fusion Power. In the field, shaving would be considerably more convenient than with the blade though, as I don't have a sink in the field and don't want one either. In the field, I would be considerably more likely to shave with the Braun handy.

We'll see. I need to do some more testing. I'm heavily biased toward the blade so I think I need to use the Braun more. I'll probably let my brother borrow it if he wants to try it. If he ended up liking it and intended to purchase one for himself, I would probably just give my Braun to him.

I don't know yet. Time will tell.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:10 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I really have to reiterate that shaving with an electric in the field is far from ideal.

I shave with an e-razor at home and have tried both on trips and the blade works out much better.

I'm sure that the only definitive way for you to decide for yourself will be a real world evaluation on your next outing, but I think you'll find that if it's dirty and dusty you will want to really scrub and clean your face before you mash an electric razor against the road grime on your skin.

If you just start in with the e-razor after your roll out of the Bibler you'll effectively be pushing dirt into your pores and you won't get any sort of clean freshly shaved feeling. The need to wash your face thoroughly to avoid this pretty much negates the speed and convenience of the e-razor as conventional shaving on the trail kills two birds with one stone. You will skim dirt and oil off your face simultaneously with the blade as well as getting the close shave.

Furthermore, mastering the trail shave is really not much of an art. A mug of cold water should be all you require. Shaving by touch without a mirror is no special task. Gabriel Garcia Marquez' title character in El Coronel No Tiene Quien Le Escriba found his newly accquired mirror of little use after years of "afetando al tacto".
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:13 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Jack, your points about the electric in the field are well taken. I'll have to try the electric in the field and see if I like it or not. I haven't shaved with an electric in the field yet. My thinking was that the electric would be very convenient because I don't have to break out the water, soap, and towel. But if shaving a dirty face with the electric turns out to suck, then I'll probably go back to the blade or not shaving at all.

Shaving with a blade in the field is not difficult at all, with or without a mirror. It might be with a straight razor but a modern razor is as dumbed down as can be. I can't remember the last time I cut myself with a modern razor. It's been several years at least.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:38 PM
Stephen Dickerson
KI6IXA

John, a couple of times you have mentioned your fondness for the 'fresh, minty' feel of the 360 when using it each morning. Unless you're running an inverter, I wouldn't expect the same results in the field. Perhaps you could try a few days of home use without placing the shaver in the cradle to see if it makes much of a difference in how you feel about it?

Or stick with the Fusion Power. I'm a big fan of the massaging shave for home and field use.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I haven't had the Braun for that long, but I've tried running it a few days without the cleaning function in between a few shavings to see if the closeness of the shave was affected. I couldn't tell any difference. That was just a few shavings and I have a light beard. I'm sure if I let the razor get very dirty it wouldn't shave as well.

The Braun also stayed minty fresh for a few days without cleaning. I'm not sure what causes electrics to get stinky over time. I don't know if it's the old hair inside the razor, or the dead skin, or the body oils from the hairs or skin. But old electrics definitely have a smell to them.

I'm guessing the Braun 360 with regular cleanings won't get stinky so long as it is cleaned frequently. The cleaning function on the Braun's cradle works really well. There's some alcohol-based solution inside the cradle and it really cleans up the foil and blades. On the times when I let the razor go a few days without cleaning I opened the foil to see the amount of hairs and dead skin inside the blade area. There was a lot. Then I cleaned the Braun in the cradle and examined the same razor area after the cleaning. The thing was surprisingly clean. I think the Braun cradle works well enough that manual cleaning would be completely unnecessary with this razor.

I think I still prefer the Fusion Power to the Braun, but I'll continue to test out the Braun some more to give it a fair test. I'm heavily biased toward the blade so I want to give the Braun a chance.
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

So John, do you think you will ever completely give up your blade?
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

No electric shaver will replace my Gillette collection.

I will use electric shaver for quickies, but like Ron mentioned, the skin therapy that the wet/razor shaving offers is unmatched.

Old May 24th, 2007, 05:14 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I still have more testing to do, but I doubt I will switch from blade to electric. The modern blades like the Fusion Power are just too good.

I might keep the electric as a trail razor. Or I might give it to my brother if he really likes it. Or I might keep the electric as an alternative to my blade. We'll see.
Old June 4th, 2007, 04:39 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I let my brother borrow the Braun. If he likes it, I'll let him keep it.

I'm back to the Fusion Power for the time being.
Old June 4th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Rob Davison

i knew you didn't have it in you.
Old June 4th, 2007, 05:13 PM
fang

e

While I personally never shave in the field (a week probably my longest time ever spent out and about) my choice would be a disposable razor and I'd probably just shave dry after washing my face.

Something to keep in mind with electrics is you won't get as close shave you want/expect if you've been using a blade everyday. It takes time for the skin cells on your face to adjust to such a delicate process, as opposed to dragging a sharp knife across your face everyday. So give it a coupla weeks on the electric.

Also keep in mind that everyone's facial hair grows differently, and in different directions on one's own face so you have to learn how to use the electric on your own face, depending on your hair-growing pattern. You won't necessarily get the same results dragging the electric across the same directions you do with your blade. The right electric for your face, used according to your hair pattern, should find you a happy camper; but as John pointed out, since you're not cutting away skin cells which cuts hair deeper, your electric shave will be nice and close right after your shave but you'll be stubbly be end of day again.

Electrics are better for your face, in this respect.

So after shave lotion? I hear Clinique is the best, but on the trail I use kerosene.
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:48 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I spoke with my brother today about the Braun 360. He's in love with it. It's been only a short while, but he's very happy and he thinks he's going to keep it as his everyday razor. He says that he gets a very close shave with the Braun 360 (he used to pass his old blade razor very lightly against his face because of skin irritation) and thus far he has no skin irritation at all.

So, Rob, even though the Braun didn't do it for me (I'm going to stick with the Gillette Fusion Power because I like the closer shave), it all worked out well in the end because my brother loves it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:09 AM
brian...

For those of you who do shave by blade what type of shaving cream and after-shaving lotion (if any) do you use?

I've been using Kiehl's Ultimate Brushless Shave Cream for the past 4+ years which lathers quite well for a small amount and softens the facial hair rather nicely:

And their Multi-Purpose Facial Formula lotion afterwards:

I previously used Clinique's Men Shaving Cream but they changed the formulation which resulted in a fragrance similar to that of certain noxious plastics.

And has anyone ever contemplated one of these:

Sharper Image Gel+Foam Hot Lather Shaving System

Brian...
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:53 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I use soap when I blade shave. Just regular soap.
Old June 9th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Oh John, the horror! Don't you know that soap is going to dry your skin and give you wrinkles?
Old June 9th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Scott Kirn

John, I'm shocked. Soap? Have you tried other products and just not liked them? This is what I use. Yeah, it's hoity-toity, but it's the real deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shave.jpg (26.9 KB, 11 views)
Old June 9th, 2007, 04:30 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I just use regular soap. I've tried the gourmet stuff and I do like it. But the soap works well enough for me. I'm very particular about the razor but not about the lubricant. So I just use soap.
Old June 11th, 2007, 06:41 AM
brian...

I think that an intervention might be in order.
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Rob Davison

Old July 5th, 2007, 12:47 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I saw my brother yesterday.

He said that he was so happy with the Braun 360 that he's given up the blade razors for good.

He even gave me his Fusion Power razor, so now I have one for the field and one for home.

So everyone is happy.