Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:38 PM
Won Park

Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:27 AM
KI4WWU

Ironically, I placed an order for a refill of shave cream in the tub from Ben Silver just last night... George Trumper's Limes. At $40 it's expensive by grocery store brand standards but a tub lasts me at least 4 months and the results are terrific.

I use a standard throw-away 3-blade razor now since the safety razors and other fancy types get banged up too much as I knock the lather off on the inside edge of the sink with each stroke...

I asked my wife to place an order with Santa for a new Pure Badger shaving brush from theartofshaving.com also....

Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:52 AM
rmccoy

Try the George Trumper Skin Food, it's an excellent aftershave, and is available in their Extract of Limes. Also, the Trumper Best Badger Brushes are wonderful, I've had mine for about 10 years and it's still like new.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
Matt Taylor

Does anyone ever go to a barber shop for a straight razor shave? There's a place here in town that does it.

Hot towels, straight razor, pampering. Man, it's the good stuff.
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

I recently made a change in my shaving kit.

Edwin Jagger Safety Razor
Badger Brush
Shaving Soap
Double Edge Blades

Back when I was a kid and got my stubble, my dad, a boomer who grew up in the era of tv dinners, gave me a hand me down Norelco electric razor. That was the extent of the passing down of knowledge from father to son that I received. That first Norelco did indeed cut hair, but I think it took a fair amount of skin with it. My face would redden up after each shave and would burn like hell.

Fast forward a few years to college, I learned how to use a blade from a friend. I've been on the Gillette bandwagon since 1987, progressing through the latest and greatest new design. I'm normally not that concerned about cost, but a while ago I needed new blades and was at Costco and for some reason, I was surprised at the cost of the blades. Today's current price for the Fusion blades is around $2.50 per blade. I don't keep track of the price, so I don't know if the price has creeped up recently, but it just struck me as being costly.

I decided to jump off of the Gillette bandwagon and look into the old school shaving methods. Naturally, I looked into the straight razors, but I concluded that it was a bit much in terms of a commitment in money and time. At this point, I'm not ready to buy a few razors and spend the time to hone and strop them. That left the safety razor.

Blades are super cheap. The Derby blades that I bought are about $.20 per blade delivered to my house from Amazon. I love the whole ritualistic aspect to lathering up with the brush and soap. The razor has some heft to it. The Gillette razors just feel chintzy to me.

It comes down to whether one likes to shave or not. If you don't like to shave, the multi blade systems will get the job done. If you like to shave, you will get better results from a safety razor. Multi blade razors take as much variability out of the process as possible. You can't change the angle of the blade with respect to the skin. Technique matters when using a safety razor. When shaving the chin, you must keep the angle constant or you will cut yourself or do a shitty job.

I am able to get a much closer shave without irritation using the safety razor. If I wanted a really close shave with the Gillette, I'd shave with the direction of the hair and then shave again going against the direction. I'd get a close shave, but my skin would be irritated and red. With the safety razor, I can go against the grain, very gently, and get a super smooth shave without any irritation at all.

The safety razor isn't for everyone. You have to want it to work to make it work. You have to like to shave. If you don't like to shave, don't bother.
Old May 11th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Mike,
I've always wanted to try the safety-razor route so your success story has pushed me to go for it. I dig the safety razor because it has that nostalgic, older, slower, better feel to it without the medieval quality of the straight razor.
I learned to shave in boarding school when a friend taught me. My father didn't teach me, because he had also been at boarding school for this experience and his own father had died when he was eight. So I was taught by a friend and then also went the electric razor route for daily shaving. I still like the electric razor, but I mix it up with a close blade shave about once a week. It's not a rushed daily thing for me, so the safety-razor should work out nicely.
It should also go nicely with the Filson dop kit.
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Sweet.

Don't expect perfect results on the first go around. The goal for the first shave is to get the hang of maneuvering the razor around the face since the razor doesn't pivot. Once you get the hang of it, you can make the angle a little more shallow and go for the super close shave.

Check out Youtube. A guy on there, Mantic59, has some good information. His videos are goofy, but good at describing the process.
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:29 PM
peter takacs
WA7PBT

I also mix it up between a blade and electric, depending on the level of stubble and skin condition. Every 3 years or so I have purchased the top of the line Braun shaver.

My current one is an older 7526 Syncro.

The last few generations have come complete with a base station and travel accessories. The Series 7 is the newest iteration of my model.
http://www.braun.com/us/series-shave...-7-models.html

I consider this suggestion is overkill if you will never use the electric at home. This is because the higher end shavers are packaged with a cleaning/charging station.

If you choose on using the cleaning/home aspect of the system it requires periodic refills which are fairly priced ($10 for 2 is about 8-12 weeks of daily cleaning). I believe the cleaning contributes to smoother operation, shave/glide as well as a reduction in skin irritation (I have more sensitive skin). I believe it is also recommended to replace the blade block every 18 months (I replace it at least once a year).

I have had several Braun's over the years and I could still be using my first which was given to me by my grandfather 15 years ago.

You can obviously just throw the shaver in your kit (with the charger for longer than 1 week of daily shaves) and leave the base station behind.
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Steve Rupp
KC9LHY

My Merkur safety razor will be here on Friday.
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

I've been using a safety razor for 12 or 13 years now. I've got a fancy vibrating 4-blade something-or-another, but that's for when I hit the snooze button too many times. The fancy razors are better for shaving your balls, though.

No electric for me. Hate em.
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

I'm intrigued. I've always used Gillette disposable razors ever since they sent me a free one after I registered for the draft. Seventeen years of refills later, that may have been the most cost-effective marketing campaign ever.

A few years ago, I needed an electric shaver to take with me to the field when I went to my Officer Basic Course. I bought the top-of-the-line Braun model:

$200 down the drain. It is crap. It cuts my face and causes me to break out. The "hygiene" meter broke almost immediately and now there's no way to know when the shaver needs cleaning. I'm back to my Gillette Mach 3 Turbo.

I really like the safety razor idea and I want to try it out. I found this article, "Learn How To Shave Like Your Grandpa". I'm digging some of their blade suggestion:

There are lots of options for aftershave, too.

Check this one out:

"Not for sale on Catalina Island". Wait...what?

Old May 11th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Steve Rupp
KC9LHY

I was just at the store and checked out Gillette Mach 3 Turbo blades. $17 for a 5 pack. That's just ridiculous.
Old May 12th, 2010, 04:10 AM
KI4WWU

I just use whatever cheap Gillette blades that have 2 or more blades and the little glide strip. I spend $$ on the soap and brush and stand and all that. I shave once a day, so...

Old May 12th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Just a note on the blades...

Most of the razor blades are made by very few companies. Avoid blades that are "Made in China" as the coating on the blades is inconsistent and many times can be just raw steel cutting across your face.

All the blades currently sold under Martin's, Giant, CVS, DG, Family Dollar, American Fare, Personna, or Kroger are all the same blades in different packaging. Also, if you see any blades with a "part number" on the package (usually on the back in the lower left-hand corner) that looks like xx-xx-x, xx-xxx-x, or xx-xxxx-x, these are also the same as the above mentioned blades. All of these blades are made by American Safety Razor - American blades made in Mexico.
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:34 PM
rmccoy

I've been using a Merkur safety razor for the last three weeks and besides the learning curve, I'm getting better shaves than with the fusion that I was using. Of course it takes me twice a long but there is something to be said about having a traditional morning ritual. Plus my little boys like pretend shaving with the DE without the blade - I remember doing that with my granfather's DE 30 years ago.
Old September 5th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I asked my sister for a safety razor as a birthday present and she just sent me this nice Muehle from Kaufmann Mercantile:

http://store.kaufmann-mercantile.com...e-safety-razor

So far it's really great. All of what Mike said is true. It's a slower process but a better shave. The heft of the razor is great and I enjoy shaving so the whole tactile experience is much improved. One nice thing about the safety razor design is that with only one blade there's lots of space to be able to flush out the razor. I always hated how those 5 blade razors clogged up on the first couple of passes.

There's also a smug feeling that comes from owning a nice razor and ordering such cheap blades.
I bought some Derby Extras from Amazon for my time on the JV squad:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
And I got some Feathers for when I get called up to Varsity:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i01

I already had a standard badger brush, but I ordered one of those travel style brushes that screws into the handle.

Like Sinuhe likes to repeat: Convenience is the enemy.
Old September 5th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

I like the look of that brush.
2016 SoulCraft Dirtbomb
2016 FoundryOverland

You only lost went running out o gas ,the rest is exploring Javier

Old September 5th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Nice Razor. I started out with the Derby blades and they are still my favorite. I've tried the Feathers and I nick myself more without getting a closer shave. The Derbys are just more comfortable. I've tried a bunch of others and I keep coming back to the Derbys. Some people theorize that a slightly duller blade and a shallow angle works better and some prefer a sharp blade and a steeper angle. I just know that the Derbys work best on my face with my razor.

I have the same travel brush. It works pretty well, but I need to add more water to my bowl since the brush itself doesn't hold as much water as my home brush. I've found the most important part of the shave is getting enough water into the lather. It's kind of counter intuitive, but the smoothest shaves are had when you get as much water in the lather as you can before it starts to get watery.
Old September 5th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
I've found the most important part of the shave is getting enough water into the lather. It's kind of counter intuitive, but the smoothest shaves are had when you get as much water in the lather as you can before it starts to get watery.

Agreed.
2016 SoulCraft Dirtbomb
2016 FoundryOverland

You only lost went running out o gas ,the rest is exploring Javier

Old September 5th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Try the Personna Red's.
Old September 5th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Bobby Black

x2 on the personna reds. I've liked those the best out of the ones that I've tried in my mid-sixties Gillette. I have noticed some differences in using different razors; I feel as though I get a different "feel" when shaving with that combo one vs my Merkur with personna or other blades such as the derby or merkur. I find the feather blades a bit harsh for me.

You can order sampler packs of varying blades to try different ones. I've been ordering from westcoastshaving.com.

Old September 5th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

I ordered the 100 pack of Derby Blades. $.07 per blade. 100 blades should last me 18 months.
Old September 6th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Kevin Price KJ6NII

I use a venetian blind razor right now, but you guys are getting me interested in kickin it old school. Its hard to believe that one naked blade is going to be easier on my skin though.
Old September 11th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

That cheapy travel brush I ordered turned out to be out of stock on amazon and I decided after a second round of consideration to just get the nice Muehle one that matches my razor.

http://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/a...h/6/26/81_M_20

The Muehle is made of brass and nickel plated instead of chrome and the brush is genuine badger.
I'm glad I got a chance to change my mind and get the good one.
Old September 12th, 2012, 05:54 AM
KI4WWU

Just be sure to thoroughly rinse and dry that travel brush before stowing it. They can get skunky if you store it damp and forget about it in your Dopp kit.