Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 11th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Daniel Davis

Snap-on Advice

I've been looking over some of the Snap-on hand tools on their website and I would like some advice regarding sockets and wrenches to purchase. Would someone point me in the right direction for building a decent set? Sizes I wouldn't want to leave out for wrenching on my DII?
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Won Park

I would like same info for my D-90.

I would like to start with minimum field tool kit, then build on from there.

Since I do not wrench at home, where do I start spending money?
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:30 AM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

I too was in your shoes not but 6 months ago. Thanks to the help of John and Pendy I up with (and still adding):

SW361 1 1/8" SHALLOW SOCKET
FU8A UNIVERSAL JOINT
SGDMRC4-80 SHANK/BIT HOLDER MAGNETIC 9"
HBBD24 HAMMER, DEAD BLOW PEEN, 24OZ
SRPC4700 PLIERS, RETAINING RING
SDM253IRC BIT, POZIDRIV ACR #3
SDM252IRB BIT, POZIDRIV ACR #2
SDM251IRC BIT, POZIDRIV ACR #1
SDM223IRB BIT, PHILLIPS ARC #3
SDM222IRB BIT, PHILLIPS ARC #2
SDM221IRB BIT, PHILLIPS ARC#1
SGDMRC11AG SCREWDRIVER, RATCHETING, SOFT GRIP
XDHFM1719 WRENCH, 17-19MM 12PT
XDHFM1415 WRENCH, 14-15MM 12PT
XDHFM1213 WRENCH, 12-13MM 12PT
XDHFM810 WRENCH, 8-10MM 12PT
XDHFM1618 WRENCH, 1/2"-9/16" 12PT
OEXL30B WRENCH, COMBO LONG 15/16" 12 PT
OEXM220B WRENCH, COMBO 22MM 12PT
SOEXRM19 WRENCH, RATCHETING BOX/OPEN 19MM 12PT
SOEXRM17 WRENCH, RATCHETING BOX/OPEN 17MM 12PT
SOEXRM13 WRENCH, RATCHETING BOX/OPEN 13MM 12PT
SOEXRM10 WRENCH, RATCHETING BOX/OPEN 10MM 12PT
SOEXRM8 WRENCH, RATCHETING BOX/OPEN 8MM 12PT
OXIM8B WRENCH, COMBO MIDGET 8MM 12PT
OXIM10B WRENCH, COMBO MIDGET 10MM 12PT
OXIM13B WRENCH, COMBO MIDGET 13MM 12PT
OXIM17B WRENCH, COMBO MIDGET 17MM 12PT
OXIM19B WRENCH, COMBO MIDGET 19MM 12PT
SWM301 SOCKET, SHALLOW 30MM 12PT
SHBB24 BREAKER BAR 24"
F316 SOCKET, DOUBLE SQ 1/2" 8PT
SFM19 SOCKET, DEEP 19MM 12PT
SFM17 SOCKET, DEEP 17MM 12PT
SMF13 SOCKET, DEEP 13MM 12PT
FM22 SOCKET, SHALLOW 22MM 12PT
FM19 SOCKET, SHALLOW 19MM 12PT
FM17 SOCKET, SHALLOW 17MM 12PT
FM13 SOCKET, SHALLOW 13MM 12PT
F301 SOCKET, SHALLOW 15/16" 12PT
F181 SOCKET, SHALLOW 9/16" 12 PT
GSAF1E ADAPTER, 1/2"INTx3/8"EXT
GAF2A ADAPTER, 3/8"INTx1/2"EXT
GTA3 ADAPTER, 1/4"INTx3/8"EXT
GFAT1E ADAPTER, 3/8"INTx1/4"EXT
FXWP8 EXTENSION, WOBBLE PLUS 8"
FXWP4 EXTENSION, WOBBLE PLUS 4"
FXWP1 EXTENSION, WOBBLE PLUS 1"
FHLF936A RATCHET
TMMD13 SOCKET, SHALLOW 13MM 12PT
TMMD11 SOCKET, SHALLOW 11MM 12PT
TMMD10 SOCKET, SHALLOW 10MM 12PT
TMMD8 SOCKET, SHALLOW 8MM 12PT
TMMD7 SOCKET, SHALLOW 7MM 12PT
TMMD5 SOCKET, SHALLOW 5MM 12PT
TMU8B UNIVERSAL JOINT
THL936A RATCHET (converted to 3/8" head with rebuild kit)
T936 RATCHET

This is most of what I have so far, of course there will be stuff you'll need and will just have to add as you go. There are a few other air tools and punches that I have also but that's all personal preference. So sell your Rolex and start working on the list. I would say this is probably about $1600 in snap-on tools
Old May 12th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Daniel Davis

Perfect! Thanks for the list.
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:07 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Maybe Ho will chime in with some Disco specific tools or size sockets and wrenches you'd need. This is more d-90 specific, I think the disco has some 12mm stuff that the d-90 does not.
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Won Park

Plus, your truck is diesel

Thanks for the list, David.
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:41 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

I'm pretty sure nothing on the list is diesel specific
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:46 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I think you guys are going about this tool thing in the wrong manner.

You cannot buy a comprehensive list of tools for your truck. Such a list doesn't exist. Even if such a list could be compiled, it would necessarily contain specialty tools that one person deems necessary while another person deems the same tool to be optional.

Just start wrenching on your truck and add pieces that you need.
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

I'd start with a set of wrenches and 3/8" drive sockets ranging from 8mm to 19mm.

Make sure you get pozidriv bits too. #2, #3, and #4.

Old May 12th, 2007, 01:17 PM
DJ Menasco

I didn't search, but I think Jack whipped up a Snap-On field kit a while back. I don't recall what was in the kit, but I think it was pretty generic. It seemed like a good base to build from.

EDIT: Found it!
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:13 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

That's a great kit Jack assembled but it won't have everything. It can't.

For example, check out the sockets:

The rear caliper bolts are 13mm 12-points.

The front caliper bolts are 19mm 12-points.

Right there we need two more sockets. Or do we? Maybe the 12-pointed ratcheting box of the wrenches might work. Or maybe the ratcheting box ends are too fat to fit within the caliper. Or perhaps the ratcheting box ends fit, but the handles of the wrenches don't have clearance.

For sure, the ratcheting box wrenches will not fit the driveshaft bolts because they are too fat. For this task, a slimline box wrench will be required. I have both combination wrenches and aircraft wrenches in 9/16". Others may think the aircraft is an unnecessary luxury and go only with the combination wrench for their field set. Everyone is different.

I have a ratcheting open end in 19mm for removing the bottom nut on the front shocks:

I find this wrench very convenient. The thin box end on this supplements the ratcheting Flank Drive Plus 19mm combo wrench in my field set. Others may, quite reasonably, conclude that the ratcheting open end is an unnecessary luxury on a field set and go with flipping the standard open end numerous times to remove the bottom front shock nut.

Also, we have 16mm and 18mm sockets in Jack's kit. These aren't used on the D90, but are used on the Disco2. The 12mm socket isn't used on either vehicle I believe. The 11mm would be handy on the D90, but not on the D2.

Jack's kit also contains needlenose pliers:

These are nice pliers. However, maybe a particular user might perfer the ergonomic pliers instead:

Or, perhaps the needlenose pliers are too specialized. Somebody might want to combine the needlenose pliers with rudimentary electronic tools:

Others might feel the needlenose pliers combined with the electronic tools are a gimmick, and would prefer separate needlenose pliers and electronic pliers:

Here's a stubby driver from Jack's kit:

Some people prefer the fixed drivers because there's no slop between the handle and the shank and between the shank and the bit. Others prefer the flexibility of interchangeable shanks and bits:

Jack's kit includes a soft dead-blow hammer:

This is a very nice hammer. However, I prefer the bronze dead-blow hammer:

I prefer the bronze because it hits with more "shock" than a soft mallet, but will not peen or otherwise jack up fasteners, mating surfaces, splines, etc.. I also have an almost-identical steel dead-blow hammer in my trail kit for when I have to hammer the shit out of something:

I don't carry a soft deadblow mallet because I don't have the room. Others will disagree and go with the single soft mallet, and they're not "wrong" by any means. I'm sure I'll be borrowing somebody's soft mallet some day on the trail.

My punches are the Facom soft-grip type:

Others will prefer the standard steel punches because they are so much more compact. The soft-grip handles take up a lot of room.

My magnetic tray is a relatively large MAC tray:

I like this tray a lot because it is relatively large, yet it is shallow. I prefer the shallow design because I store this tray on the lid of my Troy Box:

Others will think this tray is unecessarily large. For example, Sheki uses the ashtray-sized magnetic tray. I can hardly say he's wrong.

Every set is going to be different. It has to be. So the best way is to build your own based on your own preferences, your budget, and your tool box space.
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee

A little while back I started wrenching with a paper and pen near by. When ever I find that I am missing a tool I write it down.
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:15 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Exactly.

Start wrenching and you buy what you deem necessary.

Also, use your field set whenever you wrench on your truck. You will quickly realize what you have and what you don't in your field set.
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

I would start by building your perfect ratchet(s). Then build the kit from there.
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:30 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Also get a hard copy of the Snap-on catalog from your Snap-on guy or snapon.com. This catalog has all of the specs and dims for each tool. It's invaluable. Study the catalog and what's available while you're taking a dump.
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Rob Davison

not sure if its on the list, but Disco 1, D-90 and RRC guys this is a nice tool cause its 1/2" drive, most big sockets are 3/4 or 1" drive.

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Impact-...9&category=648

this is what you might use if you need to get to a front CV or a brake rotor off.

dont really "need" it in a field kit though, hammer and screw driver will work fine in a pinch to get that nut off.
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:01 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Daniel is asking about a D2.
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Daniel Davis

I appreciate the input. Securing a catalog will be my next step. Stepping into that Snap-on truck with cash from my tax return could prove to be an expensive step. I did get a significant amount due to having been deployed for a year in Iraq. Gotta love the letter q (non-taxable combat pay) on your W2. Just have to be willing to be shot at.
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Rob, its good to see that you've seen the light regarding the 1/2" drive 52mm socket.
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Rob Davison

Mike, the light sees me and I'm glad you saw it.

I also mention that one could use a hammer and screw driver.

Old June 24th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Baby steps.

Old July 13th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Ronnie McKinney

Hey guys! I hope all is going well at the shop and in the land of Rovers... I was cruising another message board I frequent and saw a thread and thought of EE. A lot of this guys Snap-On memorabilia is cheezy 80s crap but there are a couple of cool things like the train if you have kids, or the portable chairs/cooler combo that might be good for a weekend outing. Anyway, I thought I would pass it on...
Old July 14th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Muskyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
I think you guys are going about this tool thing in the wrong manner.

You cannot buy a comprehensive list of tools for your truck. Such a list doesn't exist. Even if such a list could be compiled, it would necessarily contain specialty tools that one person deems necessary while another person deems the same tool to be optional.

This is great advice.

I have long been a advocate of building a tool sat as you wrench on your truck. as you perform a task look at the tools you need and then add them to your field kit by duplicating that tool.

once you have worked on a few dozen different tasks you will be well on your way to a very complete field tool set.

The tools that people need to think about are the odd job tools. A good solid brass drift and some quality cold chisels are examples of what I am talking about. These are the tools that get you outa a bind when something breaks that is out of the ordinary items that you service.

Building a tool set for the field needs to be more then a single vehicle specific tool set. You also should be in a position to work on other makes and odd lot stuff like trailers, wiring, pipe fittings and such.

Also never forget that you can buy all the tools out there and still not know how to use them part of building a tool set is knowing how to perform the tasks needed to get you back on the road and the biggest part of that is diagnosis.
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Muskyman

As much as I like those Snap On hammers a few years back I had one shatter in my hands on a 11* winter night while changing a rear diff.

They are sweet for sure but for really cold climates a simple fiberglass handeled hammer might be a better choice.
Old March 25th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

A buddy hooked me up with an axle housing to replace the one I broke last weekend. After a good pressure washing, I'm really pleased with what I have. It's virtually rust-free and the welds look solid. The plan is to have some small trusses added to reinforce the tube welds. I'm sure that this isn't necessary but it will give me peace of mind.

The new housing still had the stub axles on it and I want to ditch them and use my newer ones. With the axle resting on jackstands, I tried to break the bolts by hand but was unable to. I decided that it was time to make a little upgrade to my tool kit: my first air tools.

The Snap-on MG725 impact wrench:

The Snap-on FAR7200 air ratchet:

It came with a set of Blue Point ratchets. I wouldn't have bought these on their own but now I have a good second set.

1/2"-drive Flank Drive impact sockets, 10-24mm

I also picked up a 27mm impact socket for the lug nuts and a 30mm for the rear trailing arm nuts. Bought a 1/2" drive wobble, too. Not sure if I'll ever need it but it's nice to have.

The Snap-on AT4101 blow gun, just because I've always wanted one:

Finally, I wanted to do it right when I reassemble my axles so I finally bought a proper torque wrench. What an upgrade from doing torque by hand-feel on the last rebuild. The Techwrench ATECH2FR100A:

These tools are a big deal for me. I've lusted over them for years and after rebuilding all four hubs and swapping diffs and axles with only hand tools, I'm very excited to be able to re-do the job quickly and correctly.