Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Great bike to get started with.
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
I have a friend who has an old Honda XR650, I think he'll sell it to me or let me use it indefinitely. I'll just have to borrow Jen's MKIII and rent a trailer to haul it to the city from Upstate NY. It hasn't been ridden in a couple of years so it'll need some love. Maybe I can get it done this week

That's sweet David.

I know Aaron would disagree because he's one of these guys that actually enjoys the punishment of riding a 600 LB bike on a trail, but i think that 650 will be a bit big for a first bike. I'd still take it for sure though.

That XR650 will get you used to handling a medium size motorcycle both on and off pavement. I hope that you make the effort to find some forest roads and two-tracks to practice on, you'll really benefit from the skills you'll learn. Also, unlike a 250 cc bike, you'll actually be able to ride that 650 on a highway.

As a point of interest, i know of several European countries that restrict the maximum displacement for the first 1 (or 2) years on a new motorcycle license to 125 cc's. In other words, all new motorcycle licensees are restricted to piloting a motorcycle of no more than 125 cc's for their 1st (and maybe 2nd) year of riding.

Riding is serious business, almost anything on the road is much less vulnerable than you will be on your motorcycle. If you haven't already, i recommend you take an MSF RiderCourse. I know it's a pain to take the time but the more you know the safer you'll be.
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Sheki-Honda makes two different XR650's. The one Murphy rode in Baja is an XR650R, and then there's the XR650L.

The XR650R is more of a lightweight dirt bike (around 280 lbs dry) and as you recall is a kick start bike. There are street-legal versions (Murphy was trying to get his licensed in CA with the Baja Designs kit).

The XR650L is a heavier (~330 lbs dry), more road-biased bike that IIRC is electric start ONLY (no provision to kick start at all).

I'm not really familiar with riding motorcycles in NYC but I would think my prerequisite for a bike would be a clunker that no one would want to steal. Do you have secure parking and is there a way of securely locking up a bike around the city?

BTW-if you make it out to Riverside you are more than welcome to try my KTM 450EXC. While street-legal, I would not want to take it on the freeway very far as it is rather light and is running non-highway tires.

Last edited by greghirst : June 4th, 2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
I know Aaron would disagree because he's one of these guys that actually enjoys the punishment of riding a 600 LB bike on a trail...

What are you trying to say? lol
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:50 AM
JimC

I second what Bruno said - definitely take a course. Just to use statistics from un-named sources, supposedly 80% of riders in single-vehicle accidents on the road are self-taught.

I had a really good experience when I took the course - long hours, but lots of good drilling that made me feel pretty confident on the fundamentals.
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:07 AM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Quote:
Riding is serious business, almost anything on the road is much less vulnerable than you will be on your motorcycle. If you haven't already, i recommend you take an MSF RiderCourse. I know it's a pain to take the time but the more you know the safer you'll be.

I looked into the classes here in NY, after successful completion you are given a NYS road test waiver. Since I am leaving in 2 weeks for CA I tried to sign up for one ASAP; however, they are all full through August. If they have similar classes in LA, I'd surely sign up and just take the road test in NY when I get back in July. I'll be in LA for 3 weeks so I'll have plenty of time to take the class as long as I can find one with room for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghirst
The XR650R is more of a lightweight dirt bike (around 280 lbs dry) and as you recall is a kick start bike. There are street-legal versions (Murphy was trying to get his licensed in CA with the Baja Designs kit).

It's an "R" with the kick start and no electric start. It is street legal, the light kit may have been an add on by the previous owner. It's an old one, the bike is orange with a blue seat if that helps date it.
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Sheki... you are welcome to try the mighty R1150GS Adv.
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:31 AM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Thanks for the link Bruno! I was just able to register for a class the last weekend of the month. This class will also give me a certificate wavier for the road test. My only issue now is do I get a CA motorcycle license and just transfer it when I get back to NY or do I take the road test in NY? Taking the road test seems like an unnecessary and stressful ordeal. I doubt NYS would honor the certificate from CA. I'll probably just go the CA license route for now.
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

As an asside... once you have more than one class of DL (like adding the motorcycle class), always check that all classes have been transfered when you change states, or even when you renew your DL.

I have known people who had the motorcycle class get left off and it is a pain in the ass.
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
What are you trying to say? lol

A few weeks ago i went riding with some, new to me, guys. I knew something was up when i pulled up to our breakfast meeting spot and there was a parking lot full of dirtbikes. I'm not talking about 'dual-sports', no sir, real dirtbikes, with real dirtbike tires, and some glued-on headlights and tail lights obviously there solely for the purpose of getting a license plate.

As we got deeper and deeper into the woods i kept thinking to myself, "it's not that my bike is too big and clumsy, i'm just not skilled enough".

It's true, a bigger, heavier motorcycle, requires much more skill than a small, light one, when the going gets tough. So keep working that gold wing of yours thru the trails - it will just make you a better rider (and it'll build muscle too when you repeatedly pick it up )
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

It has been so long since I have riden a dual sport.... and even longer since i have riden a true dirt bike... I would be scared to get on one. I think I would hurt myself.
Old June 4th, 2007, 01:22 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Aaron strongly urged me to take the motorcycle safety course when I got my motorcycle and I'm very glad I did. The course was very good.
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
I have a friend who has an old Honda XR650, I think he'll sell it to me or let me use it indefinitely.

Something like this one?

1985 XL600R
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:07 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Quote:
Something like this one?

1985 XL600R

That's the one.
I was hanging out with the friend tonight, he told me that I can use the bike until I get my own, no rush.
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Wow... look what else I found...

2006 525 EXC
Old June 5th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Wow... look what else I found...

2006 525 EXC

Very nice Aaron.

I don't know if David is ready for the 55 HP - 250 LBS - 70 MPH wheelie package.

I think that's got your name on it !
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Wait . .

I take that back, this has your name on it;

Old June 5th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Very nice Aaron.

I don't know if David is ready for the 55 HP - 250 LBS - 70 MPH wheelie package.

I think that's got your name on it !

That is exactly what I was thinking.
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Wait . .

I take that back, this has your name on it;

I know...he is only 10 miles from my house.

But I can't tell if it is still for sale or not. He has two for sale posts going... one is disussing the bike as for sale. The other says he is keeping it.

Bruno... is it worth getting? Or is it not enough of a dirt bike?
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Aaron, i think the LC4 is a good choice for you.

I say that because i know how you ride your GSA, and i know that you don't mind a little heft on the trail. I think that the LC4 is going to feel light and nimble to you.

On the road, the LC4 is ok, not great, nothing like your GSA. I wouldn't want to ride long stretches of highway on it, at over 65 MPH, it's just too rough. The LC4 is simple, very competent and durable, perfect for riding in challenging third world road conditions where speeds don't exceed 65 MPH.

If you intend to ride the LC4 in the same places where you've been using your GSA, the LC4 will be a pleasure. On the other hand, if you intend to follow your local dirt-bike crowd, on their EXC's, WR's, KLX's, etc. i'd definitely recommend the EXC.

I feel pretty confident going down that unknown single track (you know the one . . at the end of the day . . "let's see where that goes"), on the LC4.

The EXC is a pure dirt-bike, single track, trench-digging, trailer-it-to the-trailhead machine.

David, did you see this DRZ for sale in NJ ?
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Thanks Bruno!!!
Old June 5th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

You're welcome Aaron.
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Quote:
David, did you see this DRZ for sale in NJ ?

Thanks for looking into it for me. It's a nice looking bike and seems like a good starter. The thing is, with my friend offering to let me have his bike indefinitely and for free, I suppose I'm not really looking to buy now. I'll keep his bike until he pries it from my hands or... I feel comfortable enough to get myself a new bike.
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Oh yeah, if the XR plan works out, i totally agree.

Don't buy anything until you're ready to make a good decision on what you want/need.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 03:40 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Note David's pants and shoes from yesterday:

Why was David sporting long pants and boots yesterday when it was broiling hot?

Because David went to his final MSF motorcycle class in the morning before we met up for brunch and shooting.

David passed the course and got his certificate. David already has his learner's permit, so his motorcycle license is now a mere formality.

Kick ass. Congratulations.