Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old July 20th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

LOL.

I actually considered riding the GS and asking Kerry to drive the Discovery to Colorado (this was a wheeling/riding vacation), just to avoid the trailer - but then i remembered Iowa and Nebraska.
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

I had a chance to sample the new KTM 690 SM. The new LC4 is awesome. It is very smooth and has plenty of power.

Although i'm not interested in a 690 SM, this is very promissing for a 690 Adventure/Baja - whatever KTM decides to call it. If KTM can keep the new Adventure down to ~ 350 LBS, this will be a very sweet bike.

This 690 Baja looks very production ready. This model, when fitted with a (sold separately) KTM Adventure kit is rumored to be the replacement for the iconic 640 Adventure. We'll see.

Dealer's meeting is coming up very soon (next week ?) maybe we'll get more news then.
Old July 24th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

I like it!
Old July 24th, 2007, 08:27 PM
RyanS

[quote=Bruno]I also think Ryan's GSA would look better with one of these laying on the seat;

Bruno - The XD is on my list. I was up at Laguna this weekend, and thought I might come back with one. Unfortunately I arrived at the vendor too late, and they were sold out. But I definitely do plan on getting one. The GS Adv made this the most comfortable ride I've ever had to Laguna. And it does surprisingly well in the twistys on knobby tires.

David - In all seriousness, I'd really recommend that you get something smaller than a 1000. The issue really isn't whether you can ride it under normal conditions. The question is what you will do in your first panic situation. Everything will be amplified on the bigger bike. If you like the Monster, get the smaller size (620-695). When you feel you've mastered everything on that bike, get your dream bike. Then you'll be ready for it, and appreciate it even more.
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS
The GS Adv made this the most comfortable ride I've ever had to Laguna. And it does surprisingly well in the twistys on knobby tires.

Oh hell yeah! The mighty GS will carve a corner with the best of them... even with knobbies! The TKCs grip well enough to touch pegs and C-stand (on left side), even with a loaded bike. The only problem I have found with the TKC tires is when they are ridden agressively (on or off road) they get used up very quickly.

A loaded bike riden hard on tarmac will use up the tires in 1500-2000 miles. On mixed riding (dirt and tarmac) 1200-1500 miles.
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS
David - In all seriousness, I'd really recommend that you get something smaller than a 1000. The issue really isn't whether you can ride it under normal conditions. The question is what you will do in your first panic situation. Everything will be amplified on the bigger bike. If you like the Monster, get the smaller size (620-695). When you feel you've mastered everything on that bike, get your dream bike. Then you'll be ready for it, and appreciate it even more.

I agree!
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

The TKC's lean over real well and i find them very predictable when they slide, on or off pavement.

Ryan, the XD is sweet and sure looks good with the GSA, but it is loud and cold. Even though i know it looks goofy, i still wear my BMW system 4 EVO when touring.

David, i don't know if you like the styling of the KTM 690 SM, but i think it would make one sweet commuter bike for you. It feels very light and agile and you will love the power - you won't be tired of that bike for a long time to come. The new 690 LC4 single is very nice .. BMW nice !

I wouldn't buy the 690 SM because i know that on my first ride i would find that seasonal road that turns into a two-track, that turns into a single-track, that turns into armageddon, that just begs to be explored.
Old July 25th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

I am really looking forward to more info on the 690 Baja/Adventure!
Old July 25th, 2007, 09:06 AM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Thank you guys for all the advice and recommendations! I was at EE yesterday and was telling John how I don't think I'm going to get the 1000cc S4Rs, I don't like the huge radiator mounted in the front. Instead I am leaning towards the 800cc S2R, this bike is also not nearly as sport tuned as the S4Rs. I don't think I can bring myself to buy a sub 700cc bike. I will be heading back to NY today and hopefully will have my friends Honda XR within the next week. I'll ride it as much as time will allow... commuting to and from work and then around town. I'm hoping to log in an hour or 2 a day on it so I'll feel comfortable enough when I make my next trip to LA to buy a Monster. I do like the dual sport bikes but would want one for NY not LA, I don't see myself doing any adventure riding as I have my truck and would rather go that route. I think the dual sport in NYC would be good because of it's more comfortable riding position and more forgiving ride. The streets in NYC are pretty fucked up and dealing with traffic will be interesting.

Thanks gain guys, of course please keep the advice and recommendations coming.
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:48 PM
marc olivares
KE7MAF

Skeki,
i had a Dark monster back in 2000 just before my little boy was born. i've had a few bikes in my short life (BMW, BSA, Triumph, AJS, DUCK, Motoguzzi) i really liked the bike, though i would not go that route again.
in fact i just recently (as in today) picked up an 05' Tiger.
i'm no longer a "KID Chauffeur" during the day and my wife took pity on me not having a bike to ride.
So after a 6 year dry spell i'm back on 2 wheels.
i've always been a big fan of the Tigers. they're lighter than GS, they're easier for short guys like me to handle, and they fit nicely in to my "all british" vehicle theme. (rover, sunbeam, triumph)

ironically i also got a XD helmet like John posted up, Man i'd forgotten how nice Arai helmets are.
when it stops raining i'll snap off some shots.

nothing like rain on my first day back in the saddle

Old July 26th, 2007, 04:11 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc olivares
...in fact i just recently (as in today) picked up an 05' Tiger.(

Awesome!
Old July 29th, 2007, 10:57 AM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Well I think I may have found a bike in LA. It's a 2006 Ducati monster S2R800 with 2200mi, the guy is asking $7k, never dropped. I'm going to have my friend look at it today. It's Orange with a black stripe and black frame almost completely stock... for now.

I was talking to another friend of mine in NY about bike he told me what ever I do do not get a Motard. He and the other 3 people he knew with them all had them stolen. They just cut the lock, lift them into a van and drive off. The bike are so light and so desirable that they just cruise the city looking for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S2R800.jpg (217.8 KB, 28 views)
Old July 30th, 2007, 08:58 AM
marc olivares
KE7MAF

here's my new toy!

love the bike, though i have to agree w/ Bruno's take on the XD helmet.
it's a little noisy, but damn it looks cool
500 miles on the clock over the weekend

all gear's up and ready to go!

Sheki, ride a few of those monsters before you buy one.
the riding position may turn you off. in my experience, it's not a tall guy friendly bike.

Old July 30th, 2007, 09:23 AM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Congrats on the bike! I've heard the same about it not being comfortable for tall people; however, at a whopping 5'8" I shouldn't have any problems. I'll know in an hour if I'm buying the bike, my friend is on his way now to go look at it. I have the cash in hand and am ready to Western Union it to my friend if it's all good.
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:26 AM
marc olivares
KE7MAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
...however, at a whopping 5'8"...

for some reason i was thinking you were taller than that.
you should be fine on the monster, i'm 5'8" as well and it was a nice fit for all but really long rides.

good luck!

Old July 30th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
500 miles on the clock over the weekend

Awesome, congrats Marc. What do you think of the Tiger so far ?

David, I like the color on that little street racer bike you're considering buying . .

Old July 30th, 2007, 12:30 PM
marc olivares
KE7MAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Awesome, congrats Marc. What do you think of the Tiger so far ?

"it leaks oil and the lights dont work... F'n british!"

no but seriously, so far i'm fairly pleased
it's snappy and nimble on the throttle.
handles well in the twisties for a bigger bike.
and even though it's smaller than the GS,
it's still pretty tall for a short guy like me.
i just ordered a Wilber shock to lower the thing a bit
hopefully that will give me warm fuzzies at stop lights.

Old July 30th, 2007, 12:40 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Well both my friends said the bike was super clean and real nice, so it's a done deal. I just Western Union'd the money (they fucking charged me $310 service fee... bastards).

My friend will pick it up tonight. Now I just have to plan another trip to CA so I can ride my new bike!
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:41 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

$310 to wire money?

Dat's no way to treat yo mamma.
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
Well both my friends said the bike was super clean and real nice, so it's a done deal.

Bam !

I want a CA motorcycle so i can join in on the fun.

John, are you waiting for the 690 Adventure ? or will it be an HP2 ?
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:58 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I'm waiting for new shafts for my wedges.
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
"it leaks oil and the lights dont work... F'n british!"

no but seriously, so far i'm fairly pleased
it's snappy and nimble on the throttle.
handles well in the twisties for a bigger bike.
and even though it's smaller than the GS,
it's still pretty tall for a short guy like me.
i just ordered a Wilber shock to lower the thing a bit
hopefully that will give me warm fuzzies at stop lights.

You'll get used to it being tall. If you can, set the rear preload up as low as you can stand it so that it sags a bit with you sitting on it.

I learned a little trick that works well . . when you ride with your friends, use one of their bike's back wheels to put your foot on when you need to stop - works great !

I wonder how a set of these would look on that Tiger;

They would go perfect with that nice XD.
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
I'm waiting for new shafts for my wedges.

Can't ride those wedges with Sheki.

David, wait till Aaron reads this, he'll have you out on the Mojave road with that Duc in short order.
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:37 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
$310 to wire money?

Dat's no way to treat yo mamma.

I know, the guy was hot to get the money because he was buying a new bike. The bike was priced to move and I didn't want anyone else beating me to it. To wire the money via the bank would have taken a couple of days and I didn't want to wire it to his account. I didn't want some guy I never met with $6800 of my money my bike and the title. So I looked at it as insurance, I Western Unioned the money to my friend who will go with the cash to the guys house and pick up the bike, title and all the extras tonight.
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
I wonder how a set of these would look on that Tiger;

They would go perfect with that nice XD.

I have seen them on a Tiger... they look great!