Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 12th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

Sopranos

Okay...

So watch that final scene again.

The answer lies with everyone that was there...

The guy at the counter that goes to the bathroom is credited as Nikki Leatardo, Phil's cousin. He is also wearing a Members Only jacket, the title of the first show of the last season.

The boy scouts are from the model train store.

The brothers at the end of the counter tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear in season 4.

The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body.

There were three people in that restaurant that wanted Tony Dead, David Chase was just saying Tony would never escape his past.

The Sopranos was a show of subtleties... And that last scene was a reward for the true fans.
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

http://testpattern.msnbc.msn.com/arc...11/222698.aspx

It sounds like there is a lot of ambiguity on what transpired in the final scene. I'm sure its what David Chase wanted. This will be one of those final scenes that will be talked about for a while.
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:04 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I've never watched the Sopranos.

I do like this A&E commercial though:

Old June 12th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

http://www.amazon.com/Sopranos-Compl...1673057&sr=8-1

Its just a few clicks away from your mailbox.
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:29 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

My brother is all into that show. I just never got into it. Same goes for that "Sex and the City" show. Never saw it.
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

For me, that show was about remembering my childhood. Having Italian blood on both sides of my family, it reminded me of scenes of our family gatherings. It was the little stuff that most people look over which is what I loved about it. Lines like, "bring the gabagool over here" and the use of "madonn'", those kinds of things.

They did a really good job of portraying the family dynamics of an Italian-American family.
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

That A&E spot is classic... I've never seen it before thanks...
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Rob Davison

I noticed the keep me hangin' on song was played more than once. I'm, a big fan of the vanilla fudge version and I thought that I heard it was that version but it sounded rocked out. It was actually played twice in the show once at the beginning, just the instrumental and once in the middle.

I think this is a finale to be studied. I am going to begin to renege on any negative statements I made, It might just turn out to be a beautiful ending once I figure it all out.
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

I'll send you all the previous seasons so you can catch up...
Old June 12th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Matt Taylor

The Sopranos never did it for me. It wasn't that the mafia thing was trite and played out. It wasn't that it was so popular that I wanted to run away.

It was that the writing just wasn't that great. They would start things and never finish them. They would serve you something as though they were making a statement, but they weren't. The whole writing of that show was throwing crap to the wall and letting people read into it.

I watched a few seasons, but couldn't get deep into it. I tuned into the last episode because of anecdotal accounts of how good the last season had been up to that point. I found the last episode to be just like the entire series -- it got close to being compelling, but drifted into long periods of boring stuff that didn't further advance the theme.

To me, the best show on HBO is The Wire. Hands down, slam dunk. There is a whole culture of ghetto, crime, drugs, and limp-wristed, misguided law enforcement in this country that goes largely unnoticed. The Wire is a very accurate explanation of a culture that exists in all large cities.

Sure, it's basically a cop show. But if you live in a city with ghettos, you instantly identify with the real world delivery of The Wire. You crave to understand how this culture can be so fucked up. The Wire explains it to you.

Awesome characters, awesome writing, all inspired by actual people in Baltimore's history.

The Wire rocks a million Sopranos faces.
Old June 12th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

The subtleties made the Sopranos... It was a thinking mans show.
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Matt Taylor

To each his own, I guess. I think David Chase would like to believe The Sopranos was a thinking man's show, but I don't think he ever pulled it off well. He got close.

Northern Exposure was a well written show that sparked some thought. It delivered nearly every time, which is amazing given the number of shows.

The Sopranos was purported to be such a show, and it had its moments, but it never truly delivered. A writer is trying to advance a theme; the characters, plot, setting, etc all contribute to our understanding of the theme, as well as to how the writer wants us to view it.

The Sopranos never advanced a theme. The show was a portrait of family life in the Mafia. That's very interesting, and when the show started it was a unique take on the Mafia we all came to know through movies, etc.

But what's the theme of the show? What point is the writer trying to make to us?

It had all the requisite shit that artsy writers throw into their work: dream sequences, parental conflict, crap like that. But ultimately, what did that show say? Only that family life in the mafia is very similar to family life outside the mafia.

Now, The Wire is not a "thinking man's show." It's a different thing all together. But it's awesome. It gives me a detailed look at something I want to look at. It creates characters that I invest in and care about. It unfolds and ties up all loose ends.

Maybe I just don't "get" The Sopranos. That's possible. But I think the whole thing just blew up because it was an very interesting take on the mafia, and the writers were in over their heads regarding the popularity of the show versus the actual content. So they created the trappings of a well written show, but without the meat. They created story lines that hinted at something, then abandoned them. They never inspired thoughts in the viewer other than "what are these guys trying to say here?"

I dunno. Maybe I just didn't get it.
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Rob Davison

The point has always been the mob life is a dirty-gloomy-always-lookin-over-your-should-never-see-it-commin kinda life.
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

I watched it a couple times...

Seemed like just another TV show to me.

Much of it may have been lost on me because I was not a regular.