Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 12th, 2007, 07:50 PM
blued2

Land Rovers and Shotguns

I just got back from Asheville, NC where, for our 15th wedding anniversary, my wife and I spent the weekend at the Biltmore Estate.

I have to give my wife credit. For our anniversary she signed me up for the full day experience at the Land Rover Driving School located on the estate. The class was an outstanding chance for me to review the fundamentals of off-roading and a chance to drive some moderate trails over the stunning 8000 acre estate.

However, the big surprise of the weekend was the Sporting Clays. After reading the boards for the last few months I really wanted to try this. The Biltmore Inn runs a program in concert with Beretta (I assume). Both Lisa and I signed up for 2 hours of shooting. After some basic safety orientation we were given three shotguns to try. Lisa used a 686 White Onyx 20 gauge and I used a 686 White Onyx 12 gauge and a AL391 Urika semi-automatic 12 gauge.

I have to admit to being instantly hooked. All of the guns were much smoother than I anticipated. Lisa actually hit on her first shot. It took me about three shots to get out of the pistol shooter's aim mentality and just point and fire. After that we both shot fairly well.

The course is clearly geared for beginners. We each shot 20-25 rounds at an (excuse the incorrect terminology) up and down clay, 20-25 rounds at right to left flying clays and than about 10 rounds at doubles.

We both had a great time, although the recoil on the 20 gauge gave my wife a "wife-beater" bruise along her jaw line. Despite the beating she wants to continue shooting. The competitor in her really came to the surface. So I want to ask for the board's opinions on purchasing a first shotgun. I plan on continuing with clays and also eventually joining friends who bird hunt here in Louisiana. I loved all three Berettas that we used but realize my knowledge is limited.

Those of you who know me know that my height is inversely proportional to my herculean strength. My only problem with the shotgun came in "mounting" the gun to my shoulder. The instructor stated that if the stock was an inch shorter it would have been perfectly suited. So I do not know what customization or stock work would be most suitable for a short man...

All opinions appreciated.

Doug Goff
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:24 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Doug, I'm glad you're feeling the gun love.

A lot depends on what you are going to use the gun for and who's going to shoot the guns.

(1) Would you and Lisa be sharing a gun or would you get his and hers guns?

(2) You mentioned hunting as well as clay target. Are you looking for a gun to do both or are you intending to get separate guns for each task?
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:46 PM
blued2

John,

At this point I think we would share a gun although the 12 gauge semi-auto was a little heavy for Lisa. I think the more she shoots the more likely we will go the "his and hers" route.

Same idea with the hunting/clay issue. I would like to buy one to start with. I intend to mainly shoot clays so any hunting aspects will be a bonus. I would feel more comfortable borrowing one of my friend's hunting guns than I would the more upscale clay guns.
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:23 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

How about a 20-gauge field gun like Tom's and Jack's Ugartecheas:

These are lightweight field guns, with double triggers, automatic safeties, and extractors (empty hulls extract but don't eject when you open the gun). I think the Ugartechea extractors go for about $1400 or $1500, which is quite the bargain.

If you want an ejector gun, I like the Merkel 47 like this one:

The Merkel 47s go for about $5000 I think.
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:29 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

So many choices:

Old June 16th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Matt Taylor

Doug -

You and I must be the only guys in South Louisiana who for whatever reason never got into the excellent duck hunting down here.

I have zero shotgun experience as well, despite living in an area with a great reason to be a shotgun enthusiast.
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:31 AM
blued2

Matt,

I am still narrowing down choices but give me a holler in a week or so if you want to try to go shooting.
Old June 19th, 2007, 01:44 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

So, Doug, what have you narrowed down the choices to?
Old June 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM
blued2

John,

My first thought is the Beretta AL391 Teknys Gold Sporting gauge 12with 28" barrel. This seems like the best auto-loader option for both field and clay. I know your arguments against the auto-loader and the wife and believe them to have some validity, which is why I am also looking at the Beretta 686 White Onyx in 20 Gauge and the Ugartechea Grade One in 20 Gauge. I like all three guns and am trying to determine which gun would be the most versitile.
I also keep having a sinking feeling that I will end up buying two shotguns eventually as Lisa has made her choice clear (the White Onyx).
However, there is no huge rush and the more I read the more I am learning.
Old June 19th, 2007, 02:34 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I think all of the choices you listed are solid choices.

On the 391, just be mindful that a 28" barrel on a repeater is very long. I mean seriously long. That's the equivalent of a double with 32" barrels. That's huge.

To illustrate, check out my Super 90 in this shot:

My Super 90 has a 24" barrel. My K-20 right next to the Benelli has 30" barrels.

Here's another comparison:

My K-80 on the left has 28" barrels. My Super 90 on the right has a 24" barrel. Yet they are the same size. My K-20 with 30" barrels is longer than both of my 12s:

Your proposed 391 with 28" barrels would be even longer than my K-20.
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:50 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Doug,

Here's that 20-Bore M2 Super 90 I told you about on the phone:

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/l...thetic20Ga.jpg

The Benelli part no. for that gun is 11097. Benelli lists that gun as having a 24" barrel, black ComforTech buttstock, 3+1 magazine capacity, red fiber optic front bead, 45.3" overall length, 5.7 lbs. weight, 14 3/8" length of pull, 1 3/8" drop at comb, 2" drop at heel, and $1215 MSRP.

Here's some info on the ComforTech technology:

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/comforTech.tpl

That gun comes with shims for tweaking the buttstock to your liking:

I doubt it will come to it, but if you had to you could change out the comb with a taller comb to fit your face:

There are also three different recoil pads for adjusting the length of pull to your liking:

The pads are an extra-cost option I think.

I couldn't find it on Benelli's site, but Benelli also offers a 20-Bore extension magazine for the 20-Bore M2 like this one:

The extension magazine increases magazine capacity to 7+1.

If you are set on a repeater (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with a repeater), I think this 20-Bore M2 ComforTech is a great starter gun for you and your wife. It would be a sweet shooter that you would never outgrow, no matter how far you decide to take your shotgunning. It would even make a sweet Argentina gun if you got really into shotgunning. If you never get into shotgunning and plink only occasionally, this would be a sweet gun as well.
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:51 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Here's a Benelli vid:

Old June 20th, 2007, 09:52 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

cleaned Walmart out. 100 rounds for $15.86... what a bargain.

Anyone up for some shooting?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo_062007_002.jpg (82.8 KB, 34 views)
Old June 20th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Did you end up with a Glock 17? 19?
Old June 21st, 2007, 04:50 AM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

19, have had it for about a year now.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

I like having something I can toss around and not worry too much about it. Here is a 150.00 Sears and Robuck 16ga pump and a Benilli 12ga auto side by side. Both are tough guns and both shoot really well. Although the Benilli is mainly a turkey gun, it works well for birds, too, with just a change of the choke. It's a nice "all-in-one" gun....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hunting 002 (Small).jpg (56.3 KB, 35 views)
Old June 23rd, 2007, 09:53 AM
Ryan Tolentino

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanspeed
Here are some pics of the quarry from this past weekend to inspire you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
(just go easy on the bodycount pics....)

lol..
Old June 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM
blued2

After much thought and opinion I ended up with not one but two shotguns

The Beretta 686 White Onyx 20 gauge with 26" bbl and the Beretta 391 Teknys Gold Field also in 20 gauge and 26" bbl. Both the wife and I got what we wanted.

I have sent some pictures to John but my photo skills suck so I am attaching the links from Beretta's site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg J6862K6_white_onyx_s.jpg (6.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg AL391_Teknys_Gold_20_S.jpg (5.7 KB, 13 views)
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:31 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Here you go:

Old July 20th, 2007, 05:08 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Yesterday seemed to be show-and-tell day at the shop.

Not only did Ryan Sakurada come by with his 1200 Adventure, but Dave Lara came by with his M2 Super 90:

I was blown away by how nice the M2 is. My M1s seem so dated in comparison. Dave hasn't shot it yet. It's still NIB:

The M2's receiver has a very radiused appearance and alluring feel:

In contrast, my M1s' receivers are very squared and blocky:

The differences are subtle when looking at the weapons, but when you feel them the M2 is definitely more alluring to the hands.

David's M2 has the ComforTech buttstock:

This stock is set up a little low for me, while my M1 stock fit me perfectly from the Benelli factory. The M2 comes with stock shims anyway, and it's a simple matter to change out the shims.

The M2's chokes are longer:

The black choke is from my M1. The new M2 chokes are very sweet. I believe both the barrels and chokes on the M2s are treated with cryogenic stress relief.

The M2 forend looks all high-tech:

From seeing it in the pics, I didn't like it. But in person it's awesome. It's very narrow side to side and there's no huge beavertail effect as on the M1 forend. And I dig the snakeskin-style checkering on the forend and wrist. It's very comfortable and not abrasive to the hands at all like sharp checkering.

I'm eager to shoot with David. If I like this M2 as much as I think I will, I may have to get an M2 ComforTech for myself.
Old July 21st, 2007, 05:58 AM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Congrats to Dave L., was thinking about getting one for my apartment in NYC once I get my NYC long gun license. Thought I'd mix it up between the over/under and auto loader... glad to hear it's a nice gun. Would also like to join you on a shoot day.
Old July 21st, 2007, 03:36 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Congrats David!!!

I may need to get one.
Old July 21st, 2007, 03:53 PM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

Should we do a Gun World group buy and then some American BBQ afterward?
Old July 21st, 2007, 07:59 PM
blued2

Super Black Eagle II

Dave,

It must be the month for Benelli. I picked up a 28" bbl 12 gauge super black eagle II yesterday (Yeah, thats three in 6 weeks... a little crazy.)

Went shooting today and it shoots and handles like a dream. Went with the black synthetic with the Comfortech package. Highly recommended.

I hope to join y'all for some shooting come the fall the next time I am in LA.

BTW, as a typical American male incapable of assuming personal responsibility for my actions, I blame John Lee for inflicting this shot gun madness on me.

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/l...thetic12Ga.jpg

Doug Goff
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Daniel Long

Land Rovers/Shotguns

Beretta seems to think there's a connection between Land Rovers and the shotgunning sports as well.....

2007 Beretta Catalog