User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:29 PM
Trevor Tarr
K6TAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Trevor, the sooner you get your tech ticket, the sooner you can get busy with your general, etc.

I absolutely agree; that's what I've got to do.

Old November 26th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

I received the new follower for the Benelli today.

The red follower is the Benelli factory follower. A couple side by side photos for comparison.

Old December 7th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Jesse Ware
KB1NZE

I have this old Damascus London Gun that I am trying to figure out the value on and thought I would throw out a few shots of and see what you guys think about it. If you guys could point me in the direction to research the value of this I would greatly appreciate the help.

The story behind it is kind of neat as it was given to my father (who is 92 currently) by his high school shop teacher during his sophomore year in high school, which would be around 1935. It had been in the teachers family for several generations prior and his teacher had no more family to pass on the gun to. It has not been fired since then and is missing two screws, one that holds one hammer on and the other is the strap along the top of the stock behind the reciever/hammers.

The Specifics.

London Stub Et Twist 10 gauge Damascus barreled muzzle loader
OAL 49 3/4"
Barrel 34"
TP #1 14 3/8" , #2 13 3/8"
Drop 2 1/8 comb 3 1/4 heel.

Old December 18th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Jesse Ware
KB1NZE

Anyone have any advice for sites to do some research on shotgun values? I have found some of the online appraisal services, however I am a bit skeptical of them.
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

trying putting up a post with pics on

bbs.shootingsportsman.com

or

www.notssmbbs.com
Old December 18th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Jesse Ware
KB1NZE

Thank you Jack. I am not as into my guns as I used to be and just am overwhelmed with all of the sites out there.
Old December 18th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

Wow... Just wow.

Old December 18th, 2007, 03:10 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I like this one:

http://pillow-pal.net/
Old December 19th, 2007, 04:56 PM
ryanspeed

It's missing the condom pouch on the outside of the holster; for all of your personal protection needs...
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:36 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Futureweapons segment on the AA12 shotgun:

5:19 = "It's virtually, totally recoilless"

That sounds virtually, totally unpossible.

But this frag12 round is interesting. And combat shotguns are always interesting. I was disappointed that they didn't have some sort of schematic or CAD image of the method of operation, but it's futureweapons. What did I expect.

I'm going to have to wiki this thing and find out what it weighs.
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:13 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Oh God.

That AA12 looks ridiculous. The weapon is so large and clumsy that I can't believe anyone truly knowledgeable and skilled in combat shotgunnery would want it. One of the advantages of the shotgun over the rifle is that it can be snap-shot more quickly in the B range. Alternatively, the shotgun is more forgiving on moving targets or in poor light. This AA12 is so large and clumsy that it takes away one of the huge advantages of the shotgun. It might just be the most unpointable shotgun ever made.

The full-auto feature is a joke I think. This thing actually cycles more slowly than a Super 90. And that huge drum magazine is also a joke. The shotgun is not a sustained-fire weapon. Shotgun ammunition is very large and bulky and not really suited to box or drum magazine loading. I would rather have the ability to top up my shotgun than have to carry around huge drum magazines. Even that 20-shot drum looks ridiculous. I can only imagine what the 30-shot drum looks like.

The bit in the clip about titanium heavy shot is a joke. Titanium is not heavy. It's light. That's why it's used in race cars and aircraft. I think homeboy meant to say "tungsten" and not "titanium". But I guess the viewers of Future Weapons don't know what tungsten is. Titanium shot would be a joke. It would be even less effective than steel shot.

That Frag 12 load is interesting, but I can't help but think it will not be viable. The spring-loaded fins look very expensive and the explosive charge in the head must necessarily be very small. I'm not even sure the spring-loaded fins are necessary to the design, because we already we have fin-stabilized slug loads that do not have spring-loaded fins. I think the sping-loaded fins were put in there to make the round look more high-tech than it really is. But I think the idea of propelling miniature grenades from a shotgun is worthy of further development in case explosive technology could someday develop to make such a small payload more damaging than it is now. On the other hand, if explosive technology reached that point, wouldn't it be put to better use it in the 40mm grenade sizes?

This AA12 isn't doing it for me at all.
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:05 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I just rewatched that Future Weapons clip and it seems to me the AA12 is an open-bolt design. Why the designers chose open bolt is a mystery to me.
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:23 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I found a good pic of the FRAG-12 round:

http://www.mcwl.usmc.mil/images/phot.../Frag%2012.jpg

The spring-loaded fins might actually be necessary for this design. I'm not sure. This projectile is supposed to arm itself after being launched from the muzzle. I'm not sure if there is some kind of inertial device within the projectile that activates after the projectile is accelerated, or if there's some kind "fuse" type of device in the base that is activated by the burning propellant. I'm thinking the latter. In the Future Weapons clip at around 6:32, there's a shot of the back of the projectile and there's what appears to be some kind slit at the base. If that's the case, then fin-stabilized design of many current slugs wouldn't work.

Time will tell if this Frag-12 is viable. If it is, then I think the platform to shoot it is the Super 90 and not the AA12.
Old February 4th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

Overland Journal: A day to celebrate

This past Saturday, the Overland Journal staff spent the day at the Prescott Trap and Skeet Club, follow by the afternoon with a few new wines at a local wine institute. A good time as the team celebrated the successes of our first year in business, and the Disco made the most appropriate transport for the days festivities.

A few options from the inventory, including my (new to me) side-by-side sidelock.

Jonathan's W.J.Jeffrey Side-by-side

From the other side, showing the new sidelock and (also new to me) Beretta over-and-under 12 bore

Roseann Hanson, at the ready

Rovers and Shotguns...

Jonathan Hanson

More of the new (to us) Discovery I

Remington Super Trap 12 Bore Automatic. I like the older guns (principally the doubles) better...

With the new side-by-side

Stephanie, with the Beretta

Stephanie, taking aim
Old February 4th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

A few images from Veritas Wine Institute

Old February 4th, 2008, 03:14 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Oh man, feel the love.

I'm digging all of the pics, from the trap range to the in vino veritas pics. But this Wm. Jeffery's is my favorite:

That beaut looks like a shooting machine. Just stunning.