Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 26th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Eric Siepmann

John,

OK. driver makes sense. I'll regear for than purchase. Grips remind me of bar tape these days. Cinelli black or white (depending on your taste) is the only way to go. Like tape, there are so many colors that are just plain fugly. Black stock seems to be the best choice for now.

Matt,

Good advice. Keep it coming! I hear you on hack teachers. Interviewed one at the course on Monday and he was not very impressive. Need to do a little more research on this. I definietly want to great foundation.

Got 27 in this weekend. and am off to the range this Friday. I like ot spend at least 30 minutes practicing the short game and then try to end with a few swings of th driver before heading to the tee box.

EwS
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Matt Taylor

Eric -

I don't know where you are located, but if you're close to EE, maybe give this guy a shot:

Ken Duzich, GSEM
Professional Golf Instructor
Torrance, California
(787)843-9414.

If elsewhere, follow this link to find a guy:

http://www.thegolfingmachine.com/ama...Instructor.php

The Golfing Machine is a book written by a guy named Homer Kelley. It's very complicated; people spend lots of time getting lost in it. It's an immediate turn-off for some people.

But the principles work. It's the most comprehensive look at the physics of the golf swing, and it allows for many, many variations based on what feels right to you.

A good Golfing Machine instructor will insulate you from the technical mumbo-jumbo if that's what you want. If you want to get deep into it, he'll help you do that as well. But the instructors have to pass numerous tests that demonstrate their knowledge of the physics at work during a golf swing. That right there separates them from most of the hacks on driving ranges.

But don't get lost in the technical side of things -- golf is about feel.

If you haven't already, check out Harvey Penick's Little Red Book. He describes the game the way it should be approached. If you balance his teachings with some Golfing Machine fundamentals, you'll be in great shape.
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

Han, if you want to keep the Apex blades, I think you should consider changing the shaft or something and make it a lighter swing weight. I think that will work out nice.

Eric, seems like you are really pumped up. just keep it on a nice pace so you don't get burnt out.

Vegas anyone for a weekend of golf and debauchery?

Old June 26th, 2007, 09:44 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
Grips remind me of bar tape these days. Cinelli black or white (depending on your taste) is the only way to go. Like tape, there are so many colors that are just plain fugly. Black stock seems to be the best choice for now.

Don't underestimate your equipment, or even the smallest aspect of it. You're too new to have likes and dislikes on grips, but I'm very particular about which grips I use on all of my clubs. And I don't mean "black" grips. For example, my woods are cord grips while my irons have rubber grips. I prefer round grips, but many prefer ribbed.

I try to take the John Wooden approach to golf. There are many things I cannot control and so I acknowledge that and don't try to control them. However, anything I can control I do. I'm very particular about all of my golf equipment. My equipment is clean, my grips are fresh and aligned perfectly, and so on. I wipe down the heads after a shot so that they are fresh and clean for the next time I use that club. I wipe down my ball with a damp towel before every drive and before every putt. When I damage a ball I toss it into my scrub ball bin and use it for short game practice. I won't play with a scuffed ball unless I have to. My spikes are fresh and not shredded.

That is not to say that golf is about equipment. Golf is 99.99% skill. However, my equipment is within my control and thus all of my equipment is tip top. Golf is hard enough. Why play with shitty equipment?
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Eric Siepmann

John,

My statement was directed more at the style of the grip as oppossed to the function. I have no idea about grips but I'll get around to that when the time comes.

Shitty equipment sucks. No matter the activity.

Matt,

I am in Chicago. Be nice for me to pop into EE if I could. One of these days I'll head back west to visit my cousin and make a daytrip to EE.

Ho,

Vegas baby! That would be very cool. Never been. Not much of a gambling man but it would be fun to check it out.

EwS
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:25 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochung
Han, if you want to keep the Apex blades, I think you should consider changing the shaft or something and make it a lighter swing weight. I think that will work out nice.

Eric, seems like you are really pumped up. just keep it on a nice pace so you don't get burnt out.

Vegas anyone for a weekend of golf and debauchery?

i don't think i can keep the apex... cuz i can't find them. do you still have your staff set?
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

Yes, I still have the Staff blades.

I've been thinking about some Mizuno irons. But I think I'll just keep playing the Staff blades. I just need to practice some more. It's not like new irons will change my game.

Old June 26th, 2007, 02:37 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Ho's Staffs:

Old June 26th, 2007, 07:50 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

those blades have "aged".
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Matt Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochung
It's not like new irons will change my game.

It's not like a timex can't tell time either, or like you couldn't wheel in a Suzuki, or like keds aren't as functional as Prada.

Old June 27th, 2007, 07:36 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

so i go to a ktown store to look around. they had so much stuff everywhere it was hard to find the mizuno rack. this dude points me to the middle of the store and there it was. they had the MP-67 and some MX models. i was pleasantly surprised to see a set of MP-37 in the middle of the rack...

let the games begin...

thanks guys for the input and great info.
still looking for the right driver.
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!

Old June 28th, 2007, 08:01 AM
craigc

Sweet! Han - congratulations!
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:10 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Shit. I am so jealous.

Congratulations on the new sticks.
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:08 AM
wsixhan
W6HAN

MP-37's are indeed quality sticks. so far i'm very comfortable w/ the blades. i want to take them to a pro shop and get them fitted.

man, the heat is on. i want to work on the short game more this week and hopefully i can play 18 this saturday.

john, thanks for the info on the blades.
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Eric Siepmann

Awesome Han. Those look sweet!

July 6th can't come fast enough. Mizuno fitter and I am already working the deal with the shop.

ews
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Matt Taylor

Gorgeous. Korea Town provides again.
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:50 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

so i was talking to my dad today about golf clubs and told him i was looking for a titleist driver... he says, here try this... damn, he pulls out a 905T 9.5 from the trunk. i didn't know he had one in the bag. LOL.

so i'm taking the 905T for a test "drive" tomorrow morning on the course. looks like i'm stuck w/ the 905T though. he comes back later on today and says he bought a taylor made driver he's been looking at for a while. =)) oh well...

tomorrow should be interesting.
Old June 30th, 2007, 03:24 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Han, now that you're a Mizuno Man, I highly recommend one of these for you:

http://www.golfjoy.com/Mizuno/Accessories/Den_Caddy.htm
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Rob Davison

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Han, now that you're a Mizuno Man, I highly recommend one of these for you:

http://www.golfjoy.com/Mizuno/Accessories/Den_Caddy.htm

Old June 30th, 2007, 05:56 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

That's the older Mizuno den caddy, the sweet one.

Just don't get this degenerate one:

EEEEEEEEEK.
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:37 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

LOL!!

that's nice. i should get one for sure. i'm feeling the MP love.

so today, i hit 21 over par. it was an easy short course par 70 very walkable... but had difficult greens(for me at least) overall not bad for working on short game(or to realize that i sucked at it). i hardly touched my mid irons today. not bad on the fairway but sucked shit on short game and putter specially. man, i thought i felt ok w/ my putter but when it all comes down to making that par or boggey or double boggey putt... things are so different. many times i felt giving up thru the putt. i'm gonna go look at some putters next week. and the wedges, i need something more. i have a titleist 56 deg wedge but the shaft and grip are f'd up. i'll proly upgrade the shaft.

the 905T worked well. i was hitting most fairways and w/ good distance. excellent feel. def. a great driver.
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

damn, cmon, when was the last time you played? 10 years ago? 21 over par ain't bad!

you still using the bulls eye?

Old July 1st, 2007, 12:54 PM
Eric Siepmann

Han,

Great you got out as well. Had some gardening to do at the condo but managed to break 100 for the first time this year at a decent park district course on Friday. Not bad. I seem to have developed an issue with my wrist hinge on the drive. Very inconsistant out of the tee box. Short game is improving. Not so many 3 putts.

Anyway, got a little carried away Friday night and wailed 250 balls on the range. Got some blisters but managed to get some consistency back at least.

How are those sweet sticks playing?

EwS
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:46 AM
wsixhan
W6HAN

yeah... bulls eye still have it. i do like the feel of the putter but i think i need more help . perhaps a scotty putter?

MP-37's are nice. nice on the range mat and nicer on the field grass.