Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old July 20th, 2007, 07:48 AM
kai

What about this beast:

http://www.taurususa.com/whatsnew/revolvers.cfm

Probably on the large side for concealability, but a great concept.

For concealed, I carry a Kahr in 9mm. Any other Kahr owners out there?

Another option for the price is the Bersa 380.

Good luck ....This thread is going to go on forever!
Old July 20th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Daniel Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelpain
If your leaning toward a 9mm, I would highly recommend the Beretta 9mm. (Great gun! "bulletproof", easy to use, inexpensive and accurate.) Its thinner and conceals well.....

I'm assuming you are refering to a Model 92/M9 Beretta. I owned a 96 (exact same thing, but cambered in .40 S&W, only barrel/slide assembly and magazine are different) and generally agree with you. I thought it was a bit big for concealed carry. When someone mentions they want a concealable weapon the first thing that comes to my head is a .38 snubnose, hammer-less revolver or something of the same size like the afore mentioned Walther. Anything as large as an M92/1911/etc to me is just too large to be practical if you are going to carry it religiously. That'd be a similar difference between carrying a folding pocket knife or a full bowie, the bowie might be fine to wear out hunting, but I wouldn't want to wear it out to dinner.

The arguments between a handgun and a shotgun for home defense are endless and I won't add to them. For me a shotgun with 0 shot is fine. I've never been broken in to, but I'm guessing if it were to happen it'll probably be dark, I'll probably be scared senseless and having the ability for the rounds to compensate for my inaccuracy in that situation is a deffinate bonus, along with my current lack of a handgun. Having said that I'm young, with no little ones around, so for me a shotgun in the closet with rounds in the tube, out of the case is feasable. For you a lockbox with a pistol is undoubtedly the safer, more time conscious option.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
Tony DeSanto
Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronward
Love this thread!
Oh, a friend recommended I check out Crimson Trace lasers. Anyone use these?

2 of my friends both have these on their Kimber .45 Ultra Carry II's. These are not only fine guns, but the Crimson Trace laser grips are pretty sweet. They're very compact and you don't have to flip a switch or think about activating the laser; you just grab the gun normally and the switch built into the grip automaticaly activates under normal holding pressure.

If you like or are looking for an SA only weapon, this is a sweet setup.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:14 PM
blued2

Home and Carry Consistancy

My carry pistol is a .45 Kimber Ultra CDP II:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/fo...1&d=1185218248
large_ultracdp2.jpg

carried in a Kramer IWB holster:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/fo...1&d=1185218248
E_holster_lg.jpg

My home defense gun is the Kimber .45 Custom TLE II (LA SWAT Gun ). I am looking at Kimber's laser grip purely for the intimidation factor in any confrontation. A red dot on the chest is like staring down the barrel of a 12 gauge.

I have owned Glocks and my only complaint is they are a little to big for my small hands. I shoot the .45 regularly so the 7-8 round single stack is not a big disadvantage. Great thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large_ultracdp2.jpg (32.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg E_holster_lg.jpg (138.7 KB, 8 views)
Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:06 PM
anthony paris

i am a big fan of kimbers{own 2}but for someone w/little or no time to practice, a 45acp can be a bit much...recently springfield armory came out w/a 9mm "EMP"...it is"to my knowledge"the only 1911 frame
9mm currently for sale...i just bought one over the weekend and it feels and looks very much like kimber's custom shop line..only problem
is that they are very hard to find,most dealers have a waiting list for them...the EMP is small,compact & easy to carry.worth looking at.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:27 PM
Jonathan Hanson

Quote:
. . .for someone w/little or no time to practice, a 45acp can be a bit much.

Really good point. If your practice is going to be limited to a range session every six months, you don't want a caliber that's going to intimidate you every time you go. Even though no one notices recoil or noise when shooting in anger, you do when practicing, and infrequent exposure could easily lead to ingrained flinching habits. In a concealable pistol recoil and muzzle blast will be exaggerated, compounding the problem.

Caliber debates seem to be a mainstay of armchair gunslingers when nothing else is happening on their site of choice. There's certainly a progression in the effectiveness of calibers, but anyone who proclaims that the 9mm is harmless and the .45 is a death ray is talking nonsense.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
Douglas G. Gable

I knew this was the right place to get advice. Thank you all for the great information. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum.

61 Series II 109 SW
95 RRC County LWB
06 Range Rover
98 Discovery LE

Old August 14th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Anyone know anything about the Walther P22? I'm looking for a sidearm to carry during deer season for small game when deer are not moving....
Old August 14th, 2007, 03:47 PM
KI4WWU

Not much of a sidearm, but the 3.4" makes a nice little thug gun to keep handy.

Old August 15th, 2007, 08:30 PM
JamesWyatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH
...If you knew you were about to be forced to defend yourself against an unkown number of attackers, of unknown determination, and you had your choice of one of two otherwise identical handguns - same ergonomics, same accuracy, same caliber - one of which held seven rounds, and one of which held 15, which would you choose?...

A revolver. Jam-omatics, I mean automatics, might stop at round five anyway.

There are so many autos made today that are just total pieces of crap. Kahrs are top on the list. If a gun seems too good to be true (.40 caliber in pocket size), it probably is. My PM40 was a $700 piece of shit, even when shooting expensive Corbon DPX. Goddamn, I hate Kahr for that gun. The Glock .40 would eat anything I put in it. I owned several XDs guns and all ended up with some form of jamming problem by the time they hit 1500 rounds. As stated in one of the first posts, if you stay with Glock, Sig or HK, you're going to do ok.

Even though I'm not a big fan of autos, I have been intrigued by the new S&W/Walther PPS ultra-thin 9mm. It's the thickness of most guns that make them difficult to carry with in-waist holsters. Most guns IWB are not fully concealable in the summer with a t-shirt. I prefer a pocket gun for the summer months.

Right now I carry the S&W 360PD. Ultra-light .357/.38+P that will set you back over $700 new, but wow, it sure is light in your shorts pocket, like it's not even there. Even though the gun is so light, it still shoots Corbon 38+P DPX like a champ without much recoil at all. However, shooting full-power .357s through this gun is not much fun. Shooting .454 Casull in a Ruger Alaskan is easier, if that gives a good frame of reference.

You might get a good laugh out of this next one. I posted this photo in a gun thread on a Prius forum (I commute in a Prius). One person in particular didn't realize the type was done in Photoshop, and so I got a pretty good reaction out of them. Quite childish of me I realize.

Old August 15th, 2007, 10:16 PM
reelpain

Diggin' that little hand cannon, but it would conceal even better if it were hammerless. I can't imagine shooting a 357 load out of that "snubby". OUCH! Since we're sharing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0128.JPG (79.3 KB, 21 views)