Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old July 30th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Daniel Long

Double Cardan U-Joint Orientation

Precision's 344 universal-joints for the DII double cardan front driveshaft have grease fittings that are angled to one side.

Does anyone have any knowledge as to which direction the fittings should be facing?

While replacing the joints in the rear driveshaft to replace my rotoflex I ran into a clearance problem in one joint and had to remove and replace it,

and would really rather not have to do this with the supposedly fragile and expensive double cardon shaft.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Daniel Long

One more quick question, the u-joint pictured above when installed feels "tight". What I mean by that is that it takes a little bit of effort to rotate it through its full range of motion, where as the one at the opposite side of the shaft is almost frictionless in its movement and will droop to full limit of motion under gravity's influence alone. The "tight" one will not droop under gravity.

Should I try replacing it with a different joint? Is this semi-normal? Maybe a problem with the shaft itself?

Regardless as to the reason I won't switch out the u-jointed and rotoflex driveshafts until after my move in a month, but the double cardan I will have to rebuilt before the 1600 mile drive.