Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old August 3rd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Less than 30 days...

Madeline and I are starting to get fired up for the bird season.
Dove Opener is, as always, the glorious First of September and beyond that quail, ducks, pheasant, geese...
Old August 3rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I'm hoping to get a few things squared away before bird season is upon us.

My love for the Model 12 that I bought my father is so strong that I'm going to try to pick up a Model 12 in 20 bore for myself to use for doves.

I called up a friend and made an offer on one he happens to own but doesn't shoot. I hope it pans out.

I'm learning that although many view dove as simply a "warm up" to the "real bird hunting" and believe it only generates excitement because it signals the start of the season, personally I've come to love it in its own right. Possibly because we're lucky to have two dove season here in Southern California, but I also really enjoy the challenging shooting and the spots that doves frequent.
For me the main drawback to early season dove is the heat. I've never been willing to go high tech on the clothing and abandon my traditional fieldwear sensibilities, but I think there might be a few options which will cool things off a bit without breaking tradition.
I'm going to see if I can't create a better uniform for hot weather doves in less aggressive terrain. My inspiration will be African Safari gear.

First I'm going to get a lighter weight lighter construction boot.

I love my Russell Moccasin TLC Hunters, but these are a heavy duty boot that is a bit overkill and a bit too warm for the early season dove.

I'm going to order up a pair of Russell's "Safari PH" Canvas stalking style boots.

My thinking is that these Safari "PH"s will be tough enough to stand up to dove hunting and open country upland, but won't be as heavy on my feet or as hot. Waterproofing is of little concern and I'd like wear these boots with a thin sock rather than the heavy wool I use with the TLCs. Russell even encourages you to wear the PH with no socks "for better ground feel". That sounds akin to the stories I hear of African-born PHs who hunt completely barefoot. I imagine that the Safari PH is just as carefully made as all other Russell's to prevent irritation. I like the thin moderate Huez sole on the Safari PH. The "crepe" sole on the other Safari boots just seems too mild for me, but I don't want anything near as aggressive as the "claw air bob" sole on my TLCs.

Next I'm going to pick up some lighter duty clothing. I've really been liking the latest offerings from LL Bean. So many of the Orvis, Beretta and other trendy wingshooting outfitters are just copying old LL Bean designs but making much lower quality products. LL Bean has had well made goods for almost a century and their pricing is very fair and the products are not "overbuilt".

LL Bean now offers a nice short sleeve poplin field shirt. I'm going to pick up a couple of these shirts for the hot weather. These types of shirts are very popular with the PHs in Africa. The epaulets are a dead giveaway. A light shirt like this with good pockets is very functional on Safari. I think the same will be true of hot weather upland.

I'm also going to ditch the McAlister waxed cotton faced pants for the early season in favor of a single ply pant. It needs to be thicker and heavier than khakis or the brush will pierce it easily but it should be lighter and thinner than the upland pants I wear for brush busting. Those have served me well, but they are hot! (the full waxed we wear for duck can get really roasty when it warms up)

LL Bean also makes the Katahdin Iron Works Pant. These or the Katahdin Iron Works Khaki should be tough enough for the dove field and far cooler than the waxed-face McAlister pants.

KI Khaki:

KI Pant:

Just to round out the LL Bean light weight apparel I'll pick up a canvas web belt and ditch the leather.

I'm considering picking up a dove belt to take the material off my back and shoulders. Again, my McAlister strap vest has served me well.

But it is a lot of material that I could ditch by going to a dove belt like those from Filson or McAlister. The safari PHs are very minimalist. They carry far less than bird hunters, but the dove belt is less than the strap vest.

Filson:

McAlister:

My only concern with the dove belt is that they really can't be loaded up with much. You tend to shoot a lot of shells on a good dove day and say you were carrying 30+ shells and had two bottles of water, subtract some shells, add some doves and it gets heavy. I may have to just get one and try it out to know for sure.

I'm excited to see how this new gear works out.
If it proves to be tough enough and is cool I'll test it against some light quail outings.

Last edited by JSQ : August 3rd, 2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 02:35 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Check out what I found on the Filson page:

Shooting glasses that don't look ridiculous.
Now there's an idea...

Here's the link.

And here's what Filson has to say:

Shooting Glasses Aviator Frame

Style Number 1002
$175.00

NXT, a bulletproof lens material and virtually unbreakable
Frames are made from strong, lightweight, nickel-free monel
Prescription lenses available as a custom order. Please call 800-624-0201
Superior anti-scratch properties; antistatic coating
Distortion-free optics
Heavy duty spring hinges
Adustable temples for a custom fit
Lenses create bright, high-contract images so you can see your target clearly, sharply, and quickly
Lenses produce full-color high definition optics for outstanding, in-the-field performance
HiDefSpex color lenses (HiDefSpex or HDS produces extremely sharp targets in addition to highlighting and enhancing the color of all targets by creating an extremely high contrast sight picture)
Includes a hard case
Includes a microfiber cleaning cloth
Imported

Fabric

Lenses:NXT, a bulletproof material
(NXT is stronger than any lens transparent optical material currently available on the market. NXT has superior anti-scratch properties. NXT is extremely light compared to other available lens materials)

Frame:Lightweight, nickel-free monel
(Monel is a metal that can be found in marine parts, pump screens, filters for dying chemicals. Monel is extremely corrosion resistant)

Fitting

Adjustable temples for custom fit

Sizes

One size
The lens size is 60mm across, 50mm high

Care

Use the microfiber cleaning cloth (included) that prevents scratching.

This durable and treated microfiber cloth comes in its own stuff sack with a hook for attaching to a vest, pack or belt loop.

Also we recommend that you purchase the Eye Glass Cleaner, sold separately.

Common Uses

Designed specifically for target shooting sports, as well as small and big game hunting.

FAQ

What is the difference between the Executive and Aviator style?
The only difference between the two styles is the shape of the lenses. The lenses on the Executive style are not as rounded at the Aviator. This is strictly a style preference.

Do these shooting glasses fit in your Style #2014 Small Leather Eyeglass Case?
Unfortunately, they will not fit in this case.

Country Of Origin

United States

I'm wondering about the tint?
Light enough for early morning?
Dark enough for high noon?
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I'm digging both the field shirts and the glasses.

Get some glasses. You need them.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:03 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

I like those glasses as well-get them.

Good luck this season-
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:04 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

I think you're silly. I've been known to hunt Dove in flip-flops. I mean, come on, it's Dove season. I'll be 85 degrees, and sunny; why sweat yourself to death? Enjoy it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hunting 007.jpg (56.8 KB, 679 views)
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:23 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Sept 1 we get our Dove Season and Goose season. We're all planned out to goose hunt on a 7-acre pond in the AM. I'll be hunting the Hulla Farm in Charles City, VA. It's right in the corner where the James Rover and Chickahomany Rivers come together on a 12,000 acre property. They supply the dogs, decoys, pig roast, and 4-wheelers. The place has been on the Outdoor channel several times over the last few years.

In the evening, we'll be hunting Dove in a 25-acre sunflower field.

I'll be sporting the Sears and Robuck 16ga on both hunts. The damn thing just works. Weird.

It's really not my type of hunting, at all. But, it's one of those thing you want to just try once. I might like it, but at the same time it sounds as if it could be lame. But, the deer hunting there is increadable! I hunted this probperty 3 times last season. No word to discrib it. It's just nuts. Just goes to show what a very strict 13-year game management will do.

Here is a crappy cell phone pic of one days hunt on the property. Nuts!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 010307_11461.jpg (11.8 KB, 66 views)
Old August 4th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Jonathan Hanson

Quote:
I think you're silly.

I don't.

My friend the gunwriter Steve Bodio once said, regarding side-by-side shotguns, "Why hunt a beautiful bird with an ugly gun?" The same aphorism could apply to clothing. Fight sartorial entropy!

(Beautiful guns certainly include Model 12s. Scott Brady, the publisher of Overland Journal, also has a couple of his father's 12s:

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6865)

My wife has a pair of Russell PHs with miles and miles of Africa under their (crepe) soles. She loves them. Although the footwear of choice in the bush in Kenya and Tanzania is more often locally made Batas of the old Clark's Desert Boot style. About $20 a pair in Arusha. We keep mulling over importing them and selling them though her organization, the African Conservation Fund. In Zimbabwe you can pick up the Selous boots Westley Richards sells here for $250 for about $50. Not sure whether that's worth visiting Zim.

The LL Bean shirts look good, similar to Filson's Feathercloth shirt which I've been wearing for years for dove hunting and everything else in southern Arizona. I stick to khaki as it shows sweat less than the olive and is cooler in direct sun.
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Yeah, if you stop and think about it, it really is silly. Kind of dorky even. I'm not saying hunting with flip-flops is a good idea, because it's not. It only goes to show you don't have to get all dressed up in over priced name brand clothing to have a successful hunt. You don't even need to drop a few grand on a "nice" gun, either.

People like to spend money, it makes them feel good. Someone goes out and buys a pair of $200.00 sunglasses and they feel good about their purchase. It's not that these glasses are better than the $50.00 glasses at Sunglass Hut, it's just the fact that paid so much for them and they get this sense of satisfaction. Certainly there is a difference in a 4.99 pair of glasses from the gas station and a 100.00 pair offered by Ray-Ban, but a lot of the time nice glasses are over looked for the more well known brand. This is a good read on sunglasses. Read that, determine what you really want out of a pair of glasses, then do your shopping. Just to use JSQ as an example, the Filson glasses are sexy and I dig the look. But come on, 175.00 for some field glasses without prescription lenses? Hardly.

I like LL Bean clothing - good shit and the prices are fair. But what cracks me up is the people who dress up like they're going to a Halloween party only to go hunting. These people make even JSQ look normal. Almost. I was Dove hunting last year and one of these clowns showed up with his father. Both guys were decked out in some of the most ridiculous gear I've seen to date. It's 80 degrees out side and they're wearing layered clothing, waxed pants, extra tall stalking boots with thinsulate, goofy bags hanging over their shoulders, etc.... I mean, damn. Come on! I could understand if you were snipe hunting in some think brier patches, you might want them waxed pants, layered sleeves, and a heavy boot. But, this is an empty corn field..... Not only did this clothing cost them a butt load of money, but they had to be miserable out there in the heat. Yet hey, they looked good, right?

As for "ugly guns", this goes along the lines of the sunglasses. Sure, John's K80 is super sexy to look at. Is it for everyone? John may be really happy with his gun, but JSQ may pick it up and hate it. So, would that be a super sexy nice good looking gun for JSQ? You have to shoot the gun that suits your shooting style. My Sears and Roebuck is a POS, lol. It's clunky, kind of heavy, it's an odd 16ga, and not perdy at all. But the gun just feels good and shoots great! There is nothing "nice" about it. If I had a good looking gun that I paid a lot of money for, would that kill more birds?

I just find it funny that people fall into the trap. It's all marketing and trying to keep up with the Jones'. I own some Filson, Orvis and Pella, but I also own some Carhart, Cabalas, and Rut Ware. I guess if you're comfortable in the field wearing nothing but Filson, good for you. Me, on the other hand, I'm just fine wearing what ever is fit for the season, regardless of brand.
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Jonathan Hanson

Silly. Dorky. Okay - you're right. I'll just hunt in baggy shorts, Hi-Tecs, and an untucked T-shirt. Why bother with anything else. Hey, I can go out to dinner at a nice restaurant in the same outfit; save a lot of trouble. After all, being dressed well won't make the food taste any better, will it?

You make a valid point about overdressing for the conditions, but that has nothing to do with this topic; in fact, it's the exact opposite of what Jack began the thread to discuss. No one here is likely to overdress for fashion. We appreciate high-quality equipment that performs as it's supposed to, lasts a long time, and, yes, looks good doing so.

Clothing is like anything else: The last 20 percent of quality costs a lot, particularly if it's the difference between having something like Walmart hiking boots made in China, or Russells hand-made in the U.S.

I hunt ducks with a mass-produced Remington 12-gauge. I hunt dove and quail with an English 16-bore double made in 1916 (which, incidentally, I bought in England for $600). The Remington kills ducks and I love it, but I do not get the same amount of satisfaction shooting it as I do shooting a handmade, walnut-stocked, engraved, six-pounds-even example of the pinnacle of the gunmaker's art. If the difference is lost on you, then you would indeed be totally wasting your money buying a fine shotgun.

But don't tell me I'm wasting mine.
Old August 4th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

So, you purchased the gun because you liked the way it looked, not because of the way it shot or felt in your hands? Sounds logical......
Old August 4th, 2007, 12:14 PM
reelpain

As I've said many times before; It's all personal preference! I, however have to say that you get what you pay for in many instances. If one can afford to enjoy the finer things in life..(like a $175 pair of hunting glasses)..Why not! You chastize people who spend to much on brands!...Is it coming out of your pocket? Just for perspective... Your on here because you drive a Rover I presume? Someone who drives a Toyota might think YOUR expendatures for a vehicle are excessive. Its about quality, workmanship, and many other factors that have seem to evade you..Keep shopping for your hunting gear at Walmart and Sears and see how many season's it lasts.

In any case, good thread and nice pictures Jack. Enjoy the hunt this year and thanks for supporting our beloved New England economy..(LL BEAN)

As for me, I'll enjoy keeping up the Jones' just fine...I like my "finer things" and you know why, because I can!!
Old August 4th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Jonathan Hanson

Quote:
So, you purchased the gun because you liked the way it looked, not because of the way it shot or felt in your hands? Sounds logical......

Well, wrong, actually. I went through about 40 guns in the East Grinstead Gunshop - all of them well-made and beautiful - before I found one that fit me perfectly. It took that long because English guns of the period were made to fit individual humans, not mass production stamping tools. So LOP, drop, and cast-off were all different, not to mention barrel length and choke. When you find the right one it is instantly apparent.

And if you don't think a well-fitted shotgun will make you shoot better, you haven't shot enough.
Old August 4th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Jonathan Hanson

The tropical-weight (4.5-ounce) shirts from these guys:

http://www.long-grass.com/safarishirts.htm#

. . . might be worth a look.
Old August 4th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH
but I do not get the same amount of satisfaction shooting it as I do shooting a handmade, walnut-stocked, engraved, six-pounds-even example of the pinnacle of the gunmaker's art. If the difference is lost on you, then you would indeed be totally wasting your money buying a fine shotgun.

But don't tell me I'm wasting mine.

Dan-he just described the concept of "utility" in Economic theory.

Why own and drive a Land Rover?
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelpain
As I've said many times before; It's all personal preference! I, however have to say that you get what you pay for in many instances. If one can afford to enjoy the finer things in life..(like a $175 pair of hunting glasses)..Why not! You chastize people who spend to much on brands!...Is it coming out of your pocket? Just for perspective... !!

I will agree, to a point. Hell, I too spent $200.00 on a pair of glasses.

I chose these over priced POS's due to several reasons, mainly due to my over sensitive eyes to the sun. The gimmick of "name brand" also caught me by the toe and sucked me in. In all likely hood, I could have saved 125.00......

So no, it's not "because I can afford the finer things in life". That's just bull. That's called "little man syndrome"...... The Oakley marketing nearly caught me in just the right mood at that given time - nothing more. For others, they rely on the price tags to tell them what to buy. I see thins monthly in my own job, and all I can do is laugh all the way to the bank.
Old August 4th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Dan, if you fail to grasp why people buy "the finer things in life", then the discussion is pointless. People that agree with your way of thinking usually can't afford the finer things in life and come up with ways of justifying why the inexpensive things are just as good.

Why would someone buy a Rolex instead of a Timex?
Old August 4th, 2007, 05:35 PM
reelpain

Oops, I hurt someones feelings! Must be the sensitive eyes Dan? Dish it out but can't take up debate? I prefer to be an informed consumer versus an impulse buyer because of the "name brand marketing"..Better yet, I will go there; As far as "little man syndrome" I guess many of us on this site suffers from this according to Dan "the man's" theorum. But I assure you I'm far from little in stature!! But I do enjoy your opinionated view of others buying habits. Must be nice viewing from the cheap seats behind your computer, Oakley's and significant other..By the way, How much did you get your Rover for??

Again, its not about price, its about quality and function.
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH

And if you don't think a well-fitted shotgun will make you shoot better, you haven't shot enough.

LMAO, now you're going to tell me how to shoot? Hahaha. Line up the Pepsi Challange!

If you're telling the truth about buying the gun because it's fit, then I was wrong about my comment; you're an exception to the rule. In general, people with these type of guns buy them soly due to their looks and name. Then, they shoot them part of a season, store them away and forget about them until next year...
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghirst
Dan-he just described the concept of "utility" in Economic theory.

Why own and drive a Land Rover?

Haha, are you one of the guys who purchased their Land Rover due to the names "Land Rover"? You sucker!

Land Rover is a piece of shit, prove me wrong! Since what, 1983??? Land Rover has been dead in the USA. With he exception to the Defender for a few years, the Land Rover name has not stood what what it did with the Series vehicles. Land Rover build up their name with these vehicles then destroyed it with the Range Rover and then the Discovery. As for why I purchased a Land Rover, the story is buried in Dweb somewhere. Basically, I was looking for a 4wd SUV' I like the Jeep Cherokee and the Discovery. Then, I met Bill Montgomery at a job I was working at who in return introduced me to Kertis Hussy who has a dealers license. He was able to find me a Discovery for a fraction of what the used car dealerships wanted for them, so that what I ended up with. At the time, it was the blind leading the blind; had nothing to do with the Land Rover name. The I met people like Mike Noe and James Gall who got me hooked on lifting, rigging, and wheeling the truck. I would have been much better suited with a car and kept my Toyota "buggy" for the crawling.
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Dan, you illiterate shitkicker, why do you even bother with the EE board?

Just so you can lamely post the same tired pictures over and over again?

Just so you can preach on with your Git-Er-Done gospel?

Just so you can be one of the gang here and then go and tell people not to patronize EE when you're on dweb?

Your internet chest beating is even more ridiculous here than anywhere else.

You don't get it and you never will.
Hanging around this bbs is just pathetic.

I'm sure you'll claim you don't give a shit about anything that people here value. You'll affirm how secure you are in your identity and how obvious our fallacies and shortcomings are. But none of that will explain why you bother to read this BBS and post here. Of course, like all losers you'll claim you were just trolling like you do as "Hank" on LRO, but to everyone here it's patently obvious why you're really here.

It's patently obvious.

For ages you stood shoulder to shoulder with all the cheapfuck moron hordes on dweb. You were such a loud obnoxious advocate for the cause and they like you so much that they elected you their leader and mouthpiece. But unfortunately for you and them, over time a small crack formed in the backwoods budget everything mentality. You started to see that POS budget shit like Procomp shocks and Pepboys tires didn't stack up to the pricey good shit. You started to take your sport seriously and you realized that when you didn't cut every corner or pinch every penny you started to see some performance. At first you didn't want to let on, but after a while you started to feel pretty strongly about all the cheapfuck junk that your buddies loved. You began to speak out against it. The tide shifted.

I'm sure for a while longer you'll claim you just learned to be discriminating and that you just know where quality matters. You'll hold up all of us here as brand worshippers and snobs who pay top dollar for EVERYTHING. But sooner or later you're going to figure out that we don't just pay the most for everything sight unseen. We pay for the good shit.
That's it.
Now we don't bother talking about the mediocre shit that works fine and we all use. It's not that fun to chit chat about. The good shit is a lot more entertaining.
No one would read the EE BBS if we all felt the need to post everytime we used some functional generic product. No one would read "Just picked up Permatex Anti-seize!" or "Just drank a coke!". Those thread would be boring as shit. But we all use anti-seize and we all drink coke. They do just fine, but no one wants to read threads about them.
But some kickass product?
I mean something so superior that the manufacturers know they can demand a premium and do.
That we ALL like to read about.

Even you.

Don't kid yourself.

If it seems like all we talk about on the EE bbs is pricey top shelf shit, it's because that's what we're excited about. Getting the best stuff. None of us bother to post about the cheap everyday shit that "just works". It's too obvious.
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Chris Whybrew

Hey, leave Jack alone! Let him buy all this stuff...I like looking at the pictures. Agreed, he is a bit too fussy with his equipment, but I do like the photojournals. I would rather look at his pictures than the catalogues.
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
Dan, if you fail to grasp why people buy "the finer things in life", then the discussion is pointless. People that agree with your way of thinking usually can't afford the finer things in life and come up with ways of justifying why the inexpensive things are just as good.

Why would someone buy a Rolex instead of a Timex?

Oh, now I can't afford "finer things"? Here we go.... I bet the tires and wheels on my truck cost more than the value of your truck...

I don't have to justify anything. I grew up poor, yet now I have a coffee table that cost more than my fathers first home. It has nothing to do with money. What it HAS to do with is the people who are so overly consumed by name brands and price. To a point I would agree thet you get what you pay for; and in a lot of cases that is true. But not here.

It's like the hunt I will be joining in September; thats a $5,000.00 hunt for one day. Will I kill more Geese because I paid so much? Will I see more Doves? Will I have a better time? Hardly. I would much rather be stomping around out there with Jack and could really care less if I even saw the first bird.
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Jonathan Hanson

"If" I'm telling the truth? Not very gentlemanly of you, Dan.

You seem to be an expert on the motives of those who buy high-quality guns, which is odd, since you drive a Land Rover, and everyone knows people only drive Land Rovers to look stylish.

You also continue to offer spurious and irrelevant retorts. When did I tell you how to shoot? All I said was, you'll shoot better with a gun that fits than you will with one that doesn't. Do you disagree? If so, I'd be interested in hearing your evidence to the contrary.

You have misinterpreted the entire thread, by assuming that people such as Jack, myself, and most of the people on this forum buy expensive things simply because they're expensive. You've got the wrong group.

Back to the topic?

I miss Willis and Geiger stuff, their products up to the mid-90s, I think, when they started branching out desperately and dealing in imported junk. I wore my last W&G bush jacket to tatters. At least Filson makes an acceptable substitute.

Oh, and . . . on "affording the finer things." It's all about priorities, not money! My wife and I live on a penurious freelance income and an even more penurious conservation organization director's salary. We just know what's important to us in life (that would not be a 3,000 square-foot house and 60-inch flatscreen). Remember John Gierach's line when an interviewer asked him how someone with a leaky roof and a 20-year-old truck could afford a collection of vintage bamboo fly rods. He said, "Isn't it obvious?"
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Dan, you illiterate shitkicker, why do you even bother with the EE board?

Just so you can lamely post the same tired pictures over and over again?

Just so you can preach on with your Git-Er-Done gospel?

Just so you can be one of the gang here and then go and tell people not to patronize EE when you're on dweb?

Your internet chest beating is even more ridiculous here than anywhere else.

You don't get it and you never will.
Hanging around this bbs is just pathetic.

I'm sure you'll claim you don't give a shit about anything that people here value. You'll affirm how secure you are in your identity and how obvious our fallacies and shortcomings are. But none of that will explain why you bother to read this BBS and post here. Of course, like all losers you'll claim you were just trolling like you do as "Hank" on LRO, but to everyone here it's patently obvious why you're really here.

It's patently obvious.

For ages you stood shoulder to shoulder with all the cheapfuck moron hordes on dweb. You were such a loud obnoxious advocate for the cause and they like you so much that they elected you their leader and mouthpiece. But unfortunately for you and them, over time a small crack formed in the backwoods budget everything mentality. You started to see that POS budget shit like Procomp shocks and Pepboys tires didn't stack up to the pricey good shit. You started to take your sport seriously and you realized that when you didn't cut every corner or pinch every penny you started to see some performance. At first you didn't want to let on, but after a while you started to feel pretty strongly about all the cheapfuck junk that your buddies loved. You began to speak out against it. The tide shifted.

I'm sure for a while longer you'll claim you just learned to be discriminating and that you just know where quality matters. You'll hold up all of us here as brand worshippers and snobs who pay top dollar for EVERYTHING. But sooner or later you're going to figure out that we don't just pay the most for everything sight unseen. We pay for the good shit.
That's it.
Now we don't bother talking about the mediocre shit that works fine and we all use. It's not that fun to chit chat about. The good shit is a lot more entertaining.
No one would read the EE BBS if we all felt the need to post everytime we used some functional generic product. No one would read "Just picked up Permatex Anti-seize!" or "Just drank a coke!". Those thread would be boring as shit. But we all use anti-seize and we all drink coke. They do just fine, but no one wants to read threads about them.
But some kickass product?
I mean something so superior that the manufacturers know they can demand a premium and do.
That we ALL like to read about.

Even you.

Don't kid yourself.

If it seems like all we talk about on the EE bbs is pricey top shelf shit, it's because that's what we're excited about. Getting the best stuff. None of us bother to post about the cheap everyday shit that "just works". It's too obvious.

First, you're going to comment about my "illiterate" posts', then come out with a post using single, double, and even triple line spacing? Classic!

I guess you're feeling that I'm picking on you. Well, I'm not. It's not just you, Jack. I just find it funny.

You claim you're buying the "best". Why? What makes the above products the "best"? Is it the double stitching in the clothing? The cotton blend they feature? The style? The name? What? I'll agree that LL Bean makes some nice stuff - no one is doubting that. But is it really what you need? Are there other companies that make the same quality clothing for less money? The answer is yes.

You then want to comment on my "cheapfuck" ways. Why? What is so cheapfuck with what I've posted on Dweb? I built some stuff to save a few bucks, which, in the end, cost me a whole lot more. I built, learned, built again and again, and then got some stuff right. It cost more in the end, but you'll never find a thread where I claim procomp shocks were the cats ass. You're making stuff up now. Agin, classic.

I've been hunting since I was 4 years old. For a very long time it was rabbit, squirrel, and deer, but for the last 20-years I've been hunting birds. Never have I ever wished at any point that I had some LL Bean or Filson to better my hunt. Never have I needed some cheese ball sunglasses to better my hunt. Never have I ever needed a pair off boots specially for bird hunting. And for sure, I've never needed the "best" to "get-er-done". You buy it because it makes you feel good, not because you need it. Why now just save the money you spend so carlessly and retire at 45? Then, you can have some real fun with the rest of us.