Christopher Snell
NW5W

Holy shit. Please sell these.
Old January 27th, 2015, 08:00 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu454
Here's another one, not nearly as pretty as the first. It appears to be 26". The seller couldn't tell me how it was choked, but one of the barrel pictures looks to have the IC **- stamped on it.

It's rougher than the previous gun. The appearance of the lettering leads me to believe that it has been reblued. It's cheap right now, though.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=465368229

I'd go for the first one-that one appears to have pitting on the finish and then re-blued
Old January 28th, 2015, 06:29 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghirst
I'd go for the first one-that one appears to have pitting on the finish and then re-blued

I just won the first auction. I'm in the midst of downloading a pdf of the Browning manual now.

(rubs hands in anticipation)
Old January 28th, 2015, 08:43 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
Holy shit. Please sell these.

I wish I could. Ballistol USA doesn't import that.

I also wish Ballistol were labeled like that in the USA.
Old January 28th, 2015, 08:43 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu454
(rubs hands in anticipation)

That's sweet, Stu. Post up some pics after you get it.
Old January 28th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
That's sweet, Stu. Post up some pics after you get it.

Thanks, John. Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
All Sweet Sixteens of that era have a gold trigger, although that one looks to be a newer replacement.

IC choke is very rare and desirable but you really need to nail the seller down on the true barrel length. There is no 27". It's either 28" or 26" and the 26 is a lot more valuable (and nicer in my opinion). I can't tell from the pictures since there's no full length shot.

These guns have gone up in value a lot and I don't see that trend reversing. If you want to get one, it's probably best not to wait too long.

Jack, I appreciate your previous posts regarding the Sweet 16. My family has had Light 12's in the house since before I was born. This will be the first Sweet 16. I'll endeavor to treat it right.
Old January 28th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Hot damn.

Congratulations! You got the best possible Auto-5 there is.
You're going to love it.

Old February 6th, 2015, 08:42 PM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Hot damn.

Congratulations! You got the best possible Auto-5 there is.
You're going to love it...

Jack, you called it. I picked it up this evening after work. I am in love. The folks at the tactical gun shop that I use for transfers were oohing and ahhing over it.

It's about an 85% gun; used with some light dings in the stock. As you said, this "ain't no London gun". I'm planning to order the parts kit from Midwest Gun Works.

I'll try to get some photos this weekend. They'll be crappy cel phone pics, but I'll try to keep my feet out of the shot and not use grandma's quilt as a background.
Old August 16th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Cesar Gomez

A power steering hose started leaking on the Rangie. It looks like it could possibly be an original hose.

Old August 16th, 2016, 07:35 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Nice.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 08:10 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

What are you guys wearing for boots these days?

I'm on my second pair of Blunnies now; I wear them almost everywhere in the fall and winter and they're always comfortable and look good with most casual pants. But, the boots are short and my pants hem catches on the pull-up heel strap when I get out of the truck and this drives me nuts. I'm looking for a boot without these, preferably something tall enough that it doesn't come untucked.

When I was growing up, nearly every male of high school age wore Red Wing Pecos 1155s. They were very comfortable and felt wonderful when you pulled them on. Amazing, for a mass-produced item. They had this classic South Texas look and while the rest of the country's young men were sporting Air Jordans, this is what we wore:

I wouldn't wear a pair today--Red Wing has long since gone to hell--but I do miss the fit and feel, and the tough cowhide.

I want to find a new pair of boots that have that same supple feel and natural leather look. I don't know where to start. A custom bootmaker is a consideration but I'm not necessarily looking for cowboy boots and certainly not looking for the exotic leathers and fancy multi-color details that you find at most of the custom shops. I just want some handmade everyday boots made from something tough like bullhide.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 08:25 PM
Ryan Loehr

I see that the Pecos is part of Red Wing's "Heritage" line.

For what it's worth, I have a two pair of Red Wing "Heritage" boots and I believe them to be of fairly decent quality. Most Red Wing retail stores I've been to don't carry them; they only carry the lower end, steel-toe stuff.

My Heritage boots are nice, thick leather and some of the more comfortable shoes I own.
Old September 24th, 2016, 06:14 PM
Cesar Gomez

I dig the Pecos lineup. My favorite is the 866 with the Crepe sole. It's quiet, comfortable and mud doesn't stick to it and also has many sizes available. The sole does wear out relatively quickly but Red Wing can resole them for you for a reasonable price. The leather has a beautiful smell and is oily to the touch. It also ages really well. I recommend you visit a Red Wing store to get the correct fit.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...-on-boot-brown

I own a similiar boot, the 877. Same leather and sole but different style. I tried on both and I think lacing 8" boots gets old really fast. Sometimes I wish I should have gone with the Pecos.

Old September 25th, 2016, 06:11 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

I've worn the same Ariat's for the past 8 years. The soles are so thin now my big toe is going to pop through any day now. My boots are not great boots and they're not made by some craftsman in the USA in some 200 year old shop. But damn they're comfortable. If I'm wearing jeans I'm wearing these boots whether it's around the yard or on date night. I think they're a good looking boot but more than that they're comfortable.
http://www.ariat.com/RAMBLER_M_FOO.h...AR TH#start=1
Old September 26th, 2016, 07:44 AM
KI4WWU

Try the Red Wing Pecos 1178. Has shorter heel as compared to the 1155. I wear mine daily during the fall and winter.

Old October 12th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
I'm on my second pair of Blunnies now; I wear them almost everywhere in the fall and winter and they're always comfortable and look good with most casual pants. But, the boots are short and my pants hem catches on the pull-up heel strap when I get out of the truck and this drives me nuts. I'm looking for a boot without these, preferably something tall enough that it doesn't come untucked.

After I read this, I decided to wear my Rossis around for a while. Rossi makes boots that are very similar to the Blundstones:

I've worn them with several pairs of jeans and have driven my Q7, my wife's Tesla, and my Disco and I haven't had a single occasion where the pull tabs got hung up on my jeans. I can only conclude that you are wearing the wrong pants. Maybe your inseam is a little too short on your pants?

When I was in Australia, I walked into a RM Williams store and I'm kicking myself for not buying a pair of these:

RM Williams makes some cool stuff.
Old October 13th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

I finally went dove hunting this past Saturday. I had the Sweet 16 mentioned previously here.

There weren't many birds about. Those that flew were wary and kept their altitude as much as possible. This may be due to the fact that this is a public field that the DNR host and it is likely hunted heavily from opening day on. There were some obvious slobs about; they seemed to fire at anything that flew by.

I still had a lot of fun.