Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old August 7th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghirst
Love the Hi-Power.

Not as big a fan of the "Ka-Chunk" A5 (but I'd still like to have one).

Do you still have that Hi-Power?
(you know the one that "suffers from high bore axis")

pics?
Old August 7th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Here's a few. Sorry for the horrible quality.

The Ka-Chunk is pretty nice when you're shooting trap and shoot 200 rounds in an afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020339 (Medium).JPG (33.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1020342 (Medium).JPG (57.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1020345 (Medium).JPG (40.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg P1020347 (Medium).JPG (36.8 KB, 241 views)
Old August 7th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Awesome.

Your A-5 has no rib. That's sweet.
Your wood looks very nice as well.

Is yours what's known as a "round knob"?
Old August 7th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Here's a little Winchester Model 12 adwork collage I made when I gave my dad the gun.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg COLLAGE.JPG (119.8 KB, 242 views)
Old August 7th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Dan, get the fuck out of this thread.

You are irrelevant.

No one here gives a shit about your lame little world or what you think about it.

hahaha, poor jackie. Enzyte might work better for you.
Old August 7th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

I've heard it referred to as a "Prince of Whales" type of stock, but it has a round knob on the end of the grip.
Old August 7th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Do you still have that Hi-Power?
(you know the one that "suffers from high bore axis")

pics?

No, I sold it years ago.

Remember, the Hi-Power does not suffer from high bore axis. Only SIG-Sauers and revolvers. But it's OK for revolvers because it's inherently part of their design.

Where's my FG42? It's easy to shoot offhand because of it's low bore axis...
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Scott,
I'm from Tuscon and my family still has a house there.
I make it back to hunt about four times each season.

Jack,

We are planning a few wingshooting trips this fall. I will keep you informed.

How has the 1997 RR treated you?
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Andrew Vick

I've got to jump in here. My father passed away when I was 11, and interestingly enough, I inherited an A5 from him which I shot for years. Your pictures bring back a lot of memories.

My A5 had been butchered with a Cutter's Competition choke tube, so I never really thought much about my brother-in-law taking it. Looking at those shots above, it would be nice to take it back, find a good barrel for it, and see if I could figure out the ejection issue. That damn thing was so frustrating on doves, as it wouldn't eject light loads and effectively work as a single shot.

Guess that's why I now shoot a Benelli for a "meat & tater" gun.
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionswest
Jack,

We are planning a few wingshooting trips this fall. I will keep you informed.

How has the 1997 RR treated you?

My response to your inquiry is still the same as it was in the OJ thread.

It's clear that you've got some P38 love.
I think you might be trying to will it to be the vehicle you wish it was.

I love the P38.

I bought it for hunting trips.
It's been a great nightlife car when I want more than a two-seater and it's been good for running to the airport and the like. Basically it's got some good street function. I also think it's the best looking truck Land Rover ever built.
But I bought it to drive to Arizona to bird hunt.
80mph on the highway. Enough room. Competent for basic offroading in stock form. Comfortable. Tailgate.
It's performed admirably:

But like I said, I'm not sure it's what YOU wish it was.

What you want is something with the same basic layout and advantages of the P38 but with none of the shortcomings.

That's this vehicle:

The MkIII is everything the P38 could have been. My personal preference is for the '03 or '04 variants powered by the venerable BMW 4.4 V8. Like most, when the MkIII arrived, I was skeptical. It seemed even more complicated than the P38. I worried that would make it even less reliable. But the early MkIII has passed the test of time in my book. I prefer the early MkIII for two reasons. One is my love of the BMW powerplant and it's long standing success. Two is that it is quite simply the oldest MkIII and the current high mileage examples are proof positive of its longevity. The few flaws have been identified and are minimal in comparison to the long term risks of the P38. Many might argue that the latest version of the MkIII with the Jaguar powerplant and rear locker is even more capable but it simply hasn't been around long enough to earn my trust like an '03. Regardless, the MkIII is superior. It's a much better vehicle than the P38. Rather than abandoning the weak points of the P38 in designing the MkIII, Land Rover refined them. The MkIII retains air-suspension and rather than being the achilles heal of the vehicle as it is in the P38 it became one of the MkIII's strongest attributes. Likewise with the ABS/ETC. Likewise with the computer controlled systems. Not only is the MkIII faster, smoother and quieter than the P38, but it will go places and do things I've never seen a P38 accomplish:

The P38 is very capable. It's design made it the most equally streetable and offroad-worthy design Land Rover had ever produced. But it has been eclipsed.

Although I'm aware of this reality I'm not abandoning my P38 and running into the arms of a MkIII. For me, the P38 does everything I ask. I don't necessarily need the extra performance that the MkIII offers. I think moving up to a MkIII would be little more than oneupsmanship in my case. I think it's important to be happy with what you've got if it meets your needs. I am.

Now if you want the features of the P38 and then some. And if you need to really really rely on your vehicle. Save your money, wait and get an '03 MkIII. They are already in the low 30s and only getting cheaper.

Last edited by JSQ : August 8th, 2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

One more thing Scott:

The MkIII has also proved itself as a long range vehicle-dependent expedition choice. The P38 never did. The MkIII can easily be equipped for much more laborious duties than my hunting trips.

Old August 8th, 2007, 10:03 AM
James Reed
KI4PBH

This is an excellent thread, but for the foolishness about what does and does not constitute a polishable shoe.

Jack, your observations about the american hunting tradition and dusting off those old adds from Winchester make me miss my grandfather.

Threads like this are the reason boards exist. Keep it going!
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:06 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Many might argue that the latest version of the MkIII with the Jaguar powerplant and rear locker is even more capable but it simply hasn't been around long enough to earn my trust like an '03.

Ahem. Don't forget the center locker as well. My recollection is that the early Mk3s had a viscous center diff. The new 2007 model has center and rear lockers.

The new traction control is also different. A slipping wheel doesn't even make a revolution before the traction control engages. It's amazing.
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:13 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

In that pic of the 07, the center differential is locked while the rear differential is open. The rear can also be locked. The computer does the choosing.
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

It is pretty amazing how quickly the computer decides whether to lock the center, rear or utilize the TCS.
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:54 PM
wsixhan
W6HAN

jack, before you praise the MKIII's as the better expedition vehicle... don't forget the front diff output flange failure problem on the 03's. i'm sure it's a simple fix and swap of parts, if you don't have the spare parts and tools you are fucked.
lucky me that mine failed as soon as i got off the freeway near my house. it was all noise and no go. i was surprised to know that once it fails, there is nothing one can do to make the vehicle regain drive. AAA is the only solution.
the worst part of it is that it's going to happen again due to bad design.

i would prefer the 05 or 06 better. i love the BMW 4.4 but i'd prefer the other improvements made on the 05~ over the BMW engine.

Last edited by hanchung : August 8th, 2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

Jack,

Thank you for reminding me of your earlier feedback. I suppose most of my memory of those posts were from Scott Kirn.

Your images are great. The rear flex shot is impressive.

Regarding the P38. The role for that vehicle will be as a North America travel vehicle. Driving to events, use as a travel vehicle and for some adventure articles, hunting, trips to the airport, etc. I have no commute, and want something more relevant (with some mild expedition kit) than the Trooper. Stephanie and I both miss having a Land Rover. We are just going to buy something reasonable for cash and use it until we leave for South America, and likely sell it.

For a true expedition platform, I am a fan of the Defenders, Tacomas and Land Cruisers (possibly the early Discos, but they are an aging platform). Just my opinion, and not meant to discount anyone elses machine of choice. I will likely be building a new expedition platform next year, in preparation for South America.
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanchung
the worst part of it is that it's going to happen again due to bad design.

Han, have you seen the double u-jointed driveshafts that people are now replacing the failed units with?

Here is a write up.

Old August 8th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Ahem. Don't forget the center locker as well. My recollection is that the early Mk3s had a viscous center diff. The new 2007 model has center and rear lockers.

The earlier MkIIIs came with a Torsen center diff rather than a viscous.
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Scott Kirn

I think Jack's analysis of the P38 is pretty accurate, as hurtful as it may have been to read. (Although I feel he may be selling the P38's offroad prowess a little short.)

I purchased mine for off-roading and long range trips, and it didn't take me long to realize that I chose a more difficult path in the world of Land Rover ownership. It's not so much a struggle to keep the truck running as it is trying to mold it into something it was never intended to be. At the end of the day, when I am out in the middle of nowhere, I am still reminded of all the things that could go wrong with the truck which I will not be able to repair in the field.

That begins to weigh on a person's mind.

Scott, I think what you described is a good use for a P38, which is similar to how Jack uses his. To expect anything more could lead to some unneeded frustration. It's possible, but I'm sure you've got better things to spend you time on! (I know I do.) I am still searching for that perfect blend of ability, comfort, and simplicity.

Scott
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Jack:

Do you know how the Scott Colison driveshaft addresses the crush sleeve/bearing preload issue on the differential ?
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:25 PM
KI4WWU

Jack, my PH's arrived today. Perfect fit too!

Old August 11th, 2007, 12:18 PM
reelpain

Is that a custom wench mount on the G4 MkIII Han? Its sweet! Never seen one.
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Jack:

Do you know how the Scott Colison driveshaft addresses the crush sleeve/bearing preload issue on the differential ?

My understanding is that this Scott Colison driveshaft or any similar design is meant to address the stress put on the differential splines because the factory shaft is inflexible at the differential end and only equipped with a rotoflex at the transfercase end. Because in the real world the motor/transmission/tcase unit does not remain perfectly rigid misalignment of the driveshaft occurs and puts damaging lateral force on the differential. The addition of u-joints similar to a conventional 4x4 driveshaft allows for flex and removes stress from the differential.

What is the preload issue and what is the failure that results?
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
What is the preload issue and what is the failure that results?

From what i remember, the official Land Rover service procedure for renewing a worn differential input drive tube was to replace the entire differential.

It seems there is a collapsible spacer that sets the bearing preload ( i presume on the pinion. .) for which LR had no 'acceptable renewal procedure'. Land Rover claimed that changing the input drive tube only, would result in bearing failure.

As the majority of failures are in the input drive tube splines, it would seem to me that it would be in Land Rover's best interest to change only the input drive tube on warranty claims, if an acceptable procedure could be devised.

The Scott Colison driveshaft requires that the input drive tube be removed from the differential, so i'm wondering how they have worked out the issue of the spacer.