Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 21st, 2004, 11:21 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

HELP! failed hill climb results in problematic shifter

(sorry for the cross post to dweb, but i've only been able to get on intermittently and EE is still goin strong)

Here's the story, I was attempting a very long, very rutted, very steep hill climb which was mostly soft dirt/dust when I reached the final crux ledge. I was moving along as slow as possible fast as necessary but being soft I was keeping up pace. The final ledge halted my progress and braking resulted in backwards sliding. I quickly tried to shift into neutral or reverse, but the truck had already stalled in drive. Power assisted breaking was no longer happening and we started to pick up speed sliding backwards down the hill. The trail was not entirely straight but I was focusing on keeping the truck sliding straight down the hill to avoid a rollover. Now Iíve had to retreat from some hill climbs before, but I got a different feeling on this one, a feeling I didn't particularly like: we were definitely picking up speed and fast. Now I have always avoided using the ebrake for any rolling maneuver, because as I understand from looking at it, it's a central drum type brake on the output from transmission/transfer case and as such doesn't brake at the wheels and if used in motion could apply nasty torque and pressure to the driveline. However, all that went out the window as we began to rocket our way bouncing down the trail with increasing speed and increasing likelihood of multiple rollovers. I slowly applied the hand brake and kept the truck going straight down hill, ignoring a slight bend in the trail and allowing the truck to ease into the manzanita (brush). We came to a safe stop.
That was exciting.

Not to be deterred, I aired down a little further, picked a different line and we cruised to the top.
Only to discover it was a turn around and we needed to go back down. I threw the truck in park and my friend and I jumped out. After Mr. Toad's wild ride I needed to get out of the truck and he needed a smoke sumthin fierce. Back with our feet on terra firma my friend pointed out, "your reverse lights seem to be on."
Huh. That's odd.
Jump back in the truck, shift into reverse. Truck only rolls forward with the engine revving when I try to maneuver. Shift back into park, then neutral, then drive then reverse. Here's what I figure out:
There is no longer Park. I can shift into park, but the transmission does not hold the car.
Reverse is halfway between Park and Neutral. Operates as normal.
Drive is where Neutral would be. Operates as normal.
All of the forward gears are normal but pushed forward one spot.
If I try to shift down into first there is loose resistance.

At this point I can start the truck by putting it into (D) = neutral and I can drive as normal with the truck in (N) = drive and (halfway between P and R) = reverse.

I can only guess I bent some sort of shift linkage but I really don't know.
I suppose this is why you shouldn't use the hand brake to stop a moving truck, but then again, I did prevent what would have been a seriously fast and out of control trip down this long hill backwards which would have undoubtedly ended in a rollover.

So this is a two parter:
1)How the hell do I fix my truck?!!!!
2)Would there have been a safer or less damage prone way to stop the backwards descent?

Thanks again and happy trails.
Old May 21st, 2004, 12:55 PM
KI4WWU

Yikes... you might have accidentally jammed the shifter in P on the way to R or D in your initial panic. The parking brake being applied may have compounded your issue, but I doubt it would cause the shifter linkage to move on you. Check the transmission mounts for breakage too.

Good luck, and hey be thankful you can walk, that sounds like a tragedy narrowly averted.
Old May 21st, 2004, 01:47 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Very interesting.

BTW, how did you like that Iceland DVD?
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:35 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Thanks for the replies.

On Dweb Curtis gave me a good tip and on quick daytime inspection it appears I did bend the linkage cable/rod right at the attachment. Hopefully a simple fix.
One interesting new development. When I poked my head under I found a torn wire hanging down in the vicinity. Shrouded cable containing red, yellow and white wires. You guessed it. O2 sensor wire. Torn right off. Hopefully be able to splice that back on w/o buying a new sensor.
Also evidence of some good abrasion on the underbody from some branches. Beginning to think that it was a foreign body poking it's damnself where it doesn't belong that caused the shifting problems rather than the usage of the parking brake.
hmmm

John,

Iceland DVD was very cool. Really spectacular footage and great bikes. It's neat to see the 650 in such a pack mule role rather than just light D/S use. I really liked the line about selecting the model of bike for the trip. Something of the effect of "The 650 is too heavy and unmanageable in slow technical sections and underpowered on long straights. I knew I had made the perfect choice." Really a simple statement but it cuts to the heart of what makes a vehicle/bike the right tool for the job. There is no right tool. Versatility rules. Of course that's the disco owner in me speaking.

My only complaint about the video is that fat Amercian slob. Watching him muddle his way through the trip was just painful. I'm well aware that this is an amateur trip and i'm not expecting a Dakar level performance but that guy was one of the worst riders I have ever seen. Not only did his corpulence aid physics in its inevitable victory but a total lack of technique made the whole fiasco that much more of a debacle. It was a sorry comparison to the hardy Scandanavian whose technique, experience and fitness made him not only the better rider but the obvious strategic and logistical leader. I felt like he was some sort of badass tour guide and the American was just another loser client.

Now I'm sorry for any hurt feelings if anyone on this forum has any personal connection to that guy but the DVD speaks for itself. If I rode like that and I knew I was going to be filmed, I would either put in A LOT of practice hours (like Aaron obviously does) or I would demand to be edited out.

Final comment: Nordic type accents make for the best narration ever. It's true for Dweb productions and it's the same for the Iceland DVD.
Old May 21st, 2004, 03:15 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Thanks for the compliment. But most of the time I'm practicing this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_15.jpeg.jpg (55.6 KB, 312 views)
Old May 21st, 2004, 05:48 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Helge Pedersen is indeed a bad ass. Anyone who rides around the world on an R80 must be a bad ass. His narration is indeed awesome. It adds just right the right air to the Iceland scenery.

I didn't think Chris Poland's riding was bad. I'm a rookie though so I really have no clue. There was very little footage of Helge doing the same obstacles so it's hard to say. As for his size, I wouldn't go so far as to call the him a fat slob. The brother's got a weight problem, but he can't help it. He's half Samoan.

Old May 21st, 2004, 11:02 PM
curtis

Jack - glad that helped. If you bent the selector linkage I may have a spare I can send you. If it is the cable you *might* be able to bend it back, but are probably better off replacing.

Aaron - just think how much easier that KTM EXC400 will be to pick up My hat goes off to you GS guys. Javarillas recant of trying an enduro on a GS still has me laughing.
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Ho Chung
W6HC

how about something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adv50.jpg (65.8 KB, 235 views)

Old May 26th, 2004, 11:22 AM
curtis

LOL. Funny thing Ho, that Mini 50 MAY be Bennetts next birthday present.

I am looking into a '97 or '98 KTM 400 RXCe for myself:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KTM400RXCe.jpg (92.5 KB, 199 views)
Old May 26th, 2004, 12:48 PM
curtis

LOL. That 950 is one bad mofo. Too much bike for me. Hell, most of the trails we hit the 400 is almost too much. If I owned the 950 I would keep having nighmares of either cracked fairings from dropping it or herniated discs from picking it up
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:58 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Curtis,

Check out this movie:

http://www.motorsports-network.com/video/KTM950hi.wmv

The music is very pleasant. Close your eyes and imagine yourself riding your very own KTM 950.

Imagine you're doing the 21 hairpin turns of Alpe d'Huez. Beautiful Alpine scenery in the background. Snow during the summer. Marco Pantani's record is nothing to you. After that, you decide to copy Hannibal's route through the Alps, just for shits and giggles.

Or imagine hammering down a straight road that is perfectly straight beyond the horizon. You're hammering and thinking the KTM 950 has given all it's got. But then, unbelievably, it gives more.

Or you're pulling a Kristian and taking your 950 on the trails on your day off. You're seeing places you've never seen before. The air is fresh. You're with your trail buddies and enjoying the unbearable lightness of being. You feel alive.

Live a little.
Old May 27th, 2004, 01:24 AM
curtis

John,

I closed my eyes, but then I could not see the video. The music was nice though.

Seriously, in about seven hours I will be tearing it up on some *real* trails. The pick of the litter will be a 2002 CR 250 and a 1997 350 Warrior. My ride buddy and I will be switching off during the day.

Street bikes scare the shit outta me. Screw up on a dirt bike and you might go to the hospital, but its your fault. Screw up on a street bike (or let another driver hit you) and you might die. The only reason I have the KTM 400 RXCe in my sights is that there are a lot of trail networks that require a little pavement to make them meet. I am all about the dirt.

As far as "live a little": You should know by now that I am an unpaid professional recreationist

I will try to post some pics this evening regarding my Thurday excursion