Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:35 PM
montanablur montanablur is offline
Sinuhe Xavier
yes
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Neither here, nor there...
Posts: 584
Close Call For Bear Grylls

Thank god Bear didn't fall into that lava crevasse... The crew would have had to walk dozens of feet to get help... DOZENS...

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old August 16th, 2007, 06:53 AM
skippy3k skippy3k is offline
Scott Kirn
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 126
The guy is a fucking hack. I can't stand watching him. But I do end up watching him, just so I can yell at the TV. It's like pushing a bruise.

On the other hand, Les Stroud's "Survivorman" series just started up again this season. He was in the Kalahari desert, packing his own shit around. But what I really like about that show is that there is no slow motion shit, no high speed shit, no loud music or fancy cutaway shots...just plain old real footage.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old August 16th, 2007, 07:09 AM
skippy3k skippy3k is offline
Scott Kirn
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 126
Some of my favorite Bear Grylls moments;

1. Climbing up a narrow canyon wall in Utah to take eggs from a birds nest (with no ropes). After eating one egg raw, he tells the camera that it's actually very dangerous to eat raw eggs. Then why did you do it??? He then proceeds to fry the next two on a hot rock.

2. Climbing down a waterfall, rather than climbing down the path NEXT to the waterfall.

3. Jumping from a 30 foot cliff into a icy cold raging river so he can ride the white water rapids and "float down to civilization". I almost wished he broke his legs.

4. Catching a trout and tearing into it raw with his teeth like an animal.

5. The dirt streaks that are always on his cheeks....which look suspiciously like two hand prints.

6. He's always running and rolling down cliffs. (If you are in a survial situation, why run?)


But my favorite moment was when he laying in a shelter at night, saying how the hardest part of being gone for a week in a survival situation is the loneliness and having someone to talk to. But he's telling this to the camera crew that has followed him around for days!

It is unbelievable how many dangerous acts he "recommends" doing in a survival situation. Most of what he does will put you in a worse situation. It's a joke.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:31 AM
DJ Menasco DJ Menasco is offline
DJ Menasco
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy3k

It is unbelievable how many dangerous acts he "recommends" doing in a survival situation. Most of what he does will put you in a worse situation. It's a joke.

Sheesh. Did he piss in your wheaties or what?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:35 AM
utahdog2003 utahdog2003 is offline
James Reed
KI4PBH
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: FL
Posts: 50
LOL...no shit. It is TV, after all.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:43 AM
DougG DougG is offline
Douglas G. Gable
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cooperstown NY
Posts: 88
His show is a little far-fetched, but it is entertaining. Survivorman,
although more realistic, is kind of boring. I don't think I would consider someone from the British special forces a "hack" however.
____________________
Doug

61 Series II 109 SW
95 RRC County LWB
06 Range Rover
98 Discovery LE

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:20 AM
skippy3k skippy3k is offline
Scott Kirn
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahdog2003
LOL...no shit. It is TV, after all.

True. But the show isn't presented in a "sit back and enjoy this story" type of way. It's presented in a "this is what you do when you are in a survival situation". That's what bugs me.

Put it this way. Let's say the show was all about recovery techniques for off-roading instead of survival. And throughout the show the host continually demonstrates unsafe technique as the proper way to recover a vehicle. Wouldn't that bother you? That is essentially what he is doing. He's basically advocating the equivalent of stepping on a winch line during a pull to keep the cable under control.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:23 AM
skippy3k skippy3k is offline
Scott Kirn
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougG
I don't think I would consider someone from the British special forces a "hack" however.

Nor do I. Actually, I think he is an embarrassment to the British special forces. They deserve a better representation than this guy.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:58 AM
DJ Menasco DJ Menasco is offline
DJ Menasco
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy3k
True. But the show isn't presented in a "sit back and enjoy this story" type of way. It's presented in a "this is what you do when you are in a survival situation". That's what bugs me.

Perhaps that's the problem. I think you are viewing it as entertainment rather than educational.

I believe he's attempting to emulate dire situations in order to inform, e.g. what happens when you fall through ice and the events there after. He didn't need to jump into friged waters, but he did. He didn't need to tear into that trout with his teeth (becasue he had a blade and a flint), but again he did. I doubt he's advocating you do the same to "get the feel" of it.

The way I look at it he presents the worst case scenario and then its solution. Its about disseminating information, albiet with entertainment.

And by the way he runs and pushes brush like its nobody's business becasue he's only given a limited amount of time to locate civilization.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:05 AM
DougG DougG is offline
Douglas G. Gable
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cooperstown NY
Posts: 88
Scott, I agree with you, but I think that Bear Grylls himself is the real deal. I just think that he got caught up in this, and has no real control over the final product.
____________________
Doug

61 Series II 109 SW
95 RRC County LWB
06 Range Rover
98 Discovery LE

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:11 AM
DJ Menasco DJ Menasco is offline
DJ Menasco
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougG
I just think that he got caught up in this, and has no real control over the final product.

Good point.

There are probably many scences that don't fair as well as the show would like.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Mike_Rupp Mike_Rupp is offline
Mike Rupp
WZ7V
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mercer Island, WA
Posts: 864
The problem lies in the fact that the show leads you to believe that he is dropped off with only a flint, water bottle and knife and has to survive on his own accord. They lead you to believe that the camera crew merely observes and doesn't talk to him or aid him.

There have been a lot of rumors about the show being fake and now it looks to be confirmed. What a bummer.

How can he be the real deal if he intentionally deceives the viewer?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:43 AM
DJ Menasco DJ Menasco is offline
DJ Menasco
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
There have been a lot of rumors about the show being fake and now it looks to be confirmed.

Really? Can you provide a source?

Nevermind. I found an article.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:02 PM
skippy3k skippy3k is offline
Scott Kirn
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
Perhaps that's the problem. I think you are viewing it as entertainment rather than educational.

I think it's the opposite. I'm viewing the show as educational, because that is how they are selling it. Thus my criticisms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
I believe he's attempting to emulate dire situations in order to inform, e.g. what happens when you fall through ice and the events there after. He didn't need to jump into friged waters, but he did.

That isn't how he presented it. He basically said he needed to get to the water, so he jumped. He never indicated that it's smarter to find a safer path. He also never said "if you find yourself falling from a cliff into a river, here is the best way to land".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
Its about disseminating information, albiet with entertainment.

So do you think it's educational or entertainment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
And by the way he runs and pushes brush like its nobody's business because he's only given a limited amount of time to locate civilization.

So what you are describing is a game. Therefore, they should sell it as a game show. But they don't. It's deceitful.

Anyway, I call BS. Look at the video above. He's 100 feet from the road. What civilization is he running to?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:52 AM
utahdog2003 utahdog2003 is offline
James Reed
KI4PBH
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: FL
Posts: 50
from the news article link above comes a quote very fitting to this thread...

"If you really believe everything happens the way it is shown on TV, you are being a little bit naive.”
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:13 PM
skippy3k skippy3k is offline
Scott Kirn
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahdog2003
from the news article link above comes a quote very fitting to this thread...

"If you really believe everything happens the way it is shown on TV, you are being a little bit naive.”

I much prefer this quote:

“Born Survivor is not an observational documentary series but a ‘how to’ guide to basic survival techniques in extreme environments,” the spokeswoman said.

They are selling it as a "how to guide". My argument is that it's a crappy, and potentially dangerous how to guide.

Again, I will point to my example above. If this was a show about basic recovery techniques, then I'm sure some of you would have an issue with them perpetuating unsafe tactics.

But in the end, I agree, it's just a TV show.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:45 PM
benlittle benlittle is online now
Ben Little
KE7BEN
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy3k
Some of my favorite Bear Grylls moments;

1. Climbing up a narrow canyon wall in Utah to take eggs from a birds nest (with no ropes). After eating one egg raw, he tells the camera that it's actually very dangerous to eat raw eggs. Then why did you do it??? He then proceeds to fry the next two on a hot rock.

2. Climbing down a waterfall, rather than climbing down the path NEXT to the waterfall.

3. Jumping from a 30 foot cliff into a icy cold raging river so he can ride the white water rapids and "float down to civilization". I almost wished he broke his legs.

4. Catching a trout and tearing into it raw with his teeth like an animal.

5. The dirt streaks that are always on his cheeks....which look suspiciously like two hand prints.

6. He's always running and rolling down cliffs. (If you are in a survial situation, why run?)


But my favorite moment was when he laying in a shelter at night, saying how the hardest part of being gone for a week in a survival situation is the loneliness and having someone to talk to. But he's telling this to the camera crew that has followed him around for days!

It is unbelievable how many dangerous acts he "recommends" doing in a survival situation. Most of what he does will put you in a worse situation. It's a joke.

You forgot the one where he parachutes into a tree, states he's 60ft up and then jumps down. Clearly he was only 8-10ft from the ground so the camera shakes while he performs a British Special Forces roll to break his "fall".

Absolutely classic fucktard BS TV.

I did however enjoy when he boiled the reindeer meat in the hot spring.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:37 PM
DJ Menasco DJ Menasco is offline
DJ Menasco
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy3k
I think it's the opposite. I'm viewing the show as educational, because that is how they are selling it. Thus my criticisms.

I see. I didn't view it as a selling piont as much as they have some good ideas. The rest is obviously flash. Like the jump into the river for no apparent reason. While I don't advocate the sadist approach you seem to take [his legs breaking] it was readily apparent to me it was needless.

Quote:
That isn't how he presented it. He basically said he needed to get to the water, so he jumped. He never indicated that it's smarter to find a safer path. He also never said "if you find yourself falling from a cliff into a river, here is the best way to land".

I think we're talking about different episodes. I was refering to the episode where he jumps into a frozen lake. I believe he chutes into the alps? I liked the tid-bits of information he had to present, but I think he cheated the "experience" by having a fire on standby AND stripping down so he'd have some dry clothing. Meh.


Quote:
So do you think it's educational or entertainment?

It's both. Some bull some truths. Like most things you have to sift through the bull. Some of the information apprears quite usefull, although he makes it more simplistic than it acuatlly is.

Quote:
Anyway, I call BS. Look at the video above. He's 100 feet from the road. What civilization is he running to?

That was pretty funny......er interesting.

I take home some information, but like the majority who have posted a lot of his session are questionable, but I don't get my panties in a bunch over it. It's a TV show.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:40 AM
stevevz
 
Posts: n/a
I think that shows like Man vs. Wild and Survivor Man are entertaining and present an ‘entertaining’ overview of some basic survival skills. I would not expect to find an authoritative source for survival in a 20min primetime TV show. The techniques demonstrated in the show were not invented by guys named Bear and Les. They are well documented practices that are described in detail in publications like the US Air force survival manual. I have heard both shows accurately state that mental aptitude is the #1 survival skill. If the show was actually intended to teach in-depth survival techniques, it would be so incredibly boring that I would be able to kick my Ambien addiction. The shows main audience is the arm chair (Hummer aftershave wearing) ‘want to be’, not the true outdoor adventurer.

The guy has summited Everest (Mt. circus ) and has crossed the Artic ocean……he certainly has some credentials. He also states that he was honored to be asked to do the show for the Discovery channel because he knows that there are many other people that would be more qualified. Hotel stays, camera crew rescues, pre-built bamboo rafts……..still one of the better entertainment choices in a sea of programming stupidity.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Omega Speedmaster hanchung General 3509 Yesterday 03:36 PM
My experience with RUD chains michael Technical Discussions 60 October 18th, 2014 02:32 PM
Record of SCLR Alcohol Thread johnlee General 101 July 7th, 2008 11:42 AM
The EE Shop Will Close Early Tomorrow (11/03/06) johnlee EE Announcements 0 November 2nd, 2006 07:16 PM
The EE Shop Will Close Early Tomorrow (09/30/06) johnlee EE Announcements 0 September 29th, 2006 09:28 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:54 AM.




Copyright © 2001-2012 Expedition Exchange Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.