Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old August 15th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

Close Call For Bear Grylls

Thank god Bear didn't fall into that lava crevasse... The crew would have had to walk dozens of feet to get help... DOZENS...

Old August 16th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Scott Kirn

The guy is a fucking hack. I can't stand watching him. But I do end up watching him, just so I can yell at the TV. It's like pushing a bruise.

On the other hand, Les Stroud's "Survivorman" series just started up again this season. He was in the Kalahari desert, packing his own shit around. But what I really like about that show is that there is no slow motion shit, no high speed shit, no loud music or fancy cutaway shots...just plain old real footage.
Old August 16th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Scott Kirn

Some of my favorite Bear Grylls moments;

1. Climbing up a narrow canyon wall in Utah to take eggs from a birds nest (with no ropes). After eating one egg raw, he tells the camera that it's actually very dangerous to eat raw eggs. Then why did you do it??? He then proceeds to fry the next two on a hot rock.

2. Climbing down a waterfall, rather than climbing down the path NEXT to the waterfall.

3. Jumping from a 30 foot cliff into a icy cold raging river so he can ride the white water rapids and "float down to civilization". I almost wished he broke his legs.

4. Catching a trout and tearing into it raw with his teeth like an animal.

5. The dirt streaks that are always on his cheeks....which look suspiciously like two hand prints.

6. He's always running and rolling down cliffs. (If you are in a survial situation, why run?)

But my favorite moment was when he laying in a shelter at night, saying how the hardest part of being gone for a week in a survival situation is the loneliness and having someone to talk to. But he's telling this to the camera crew that has followed him around for days!

It is unbelievable how many dangerous acts he "recommends" doing in a survival situation. Most of what he does will put you in a worse situation. It's a joke.
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:31 AM
DJ Menasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy3k

It is unbelievable how many dangerous acts he "recommends" doing in a survival situation. Most of what he does will put you in a worse situation. It's a joke.

Sheesh. Did he piss in your wheaties or what?
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:35 AM
James Reed
KI4PBH

LOL...no shit. It is TV, after all.
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Douglas G. Gable

His show is a little far-fetched, but it is entertaining. Survivorman,
although more realistic, is kind of boring. I don't think I would consider someone from the British special forces a "hack" however.

61 Series II 109 SW
95 RRC County LWB
06 Range Rover
98 Discovery LE

Old August 16th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Scott Kirn

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahdog2003
LOL...no shit. It is TV, after all.

True. But the show isn't presented in a "sit back and enjoy this story" type of way. It's presented in a "this is what you do when you are in a survival situation". That's what bugs me.

Put it this way. Let's say the show was all about recovery techniques for off-roading instead of survival. And throughout the show the host continually demonstrates unsafe technique as the proper way to recover a vehicle. Wouldn't that bother you? That is essentially what he is doing. He's basically advocating the equivalent of stepping on a winch line during a pull to keep the cable under control.
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Scott Kirn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougG
I don't think I would consider someone from the British special forces a "hack" however.

Nor do I. Actually, I think he is an embarrassment to the British special forces. They deserve a better representation than this guy.
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:58 AM
DJ Menasco

Quote:
True. But the show isn't presented in a "sit back and enjoy this story" type of way. It's presented in a "this is what you do when you are in a survival situation". That's what bugs me.

Perhaps that's the problem. I think you are viewing it as entertainment rather than educational.

I believe he's attempting to emulate dire situations in order to inform, e.g. what happens when you fall through ice and the events there after. He didn't need to jump into friged waters, but he did. He didn't need to tear into that trout with his teeth (becasue he had a blade and a flint), but again he did. I doubt he's advocating you do the same to "get the feel" of it.

The way I look at it he presents the worst case scenario and then its solution. Its about disseminating information, albiet with entertainment.

And by the way he runs and pushes brush like its nobody's business becasue he's only given a limited amount of time to locate civilization.
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Douglas G. Gable

Scott, I agree with you, but I think that Bear Grylls himself is the real deal. I just think that he got caught up in this, and has no real control over the final product.

61 Series II 109 SW
95 RRC County LWB
06 Range Rover
98 Discovery LE

Old August 16th, 2007, 11:11 AM
DJ Menasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougG
I just think that he got caught up in this, and has no real control over the final product.

Good point.

There are probably many scences that don't fair as well as the show would like.
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

The problem lies in the fact that the show leads you to believe that he is dropped off with only a flint, water bottle and knife and has to survive on his own accord. They lead you to believe that the camera crew merely observes and doesn't talk to him or aid him.

There have been a lot of rumors about the show being fake and now it looks to be confirmed. What a bummer.

How can he be the real deal if he intentionally deceives the viewer?
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:43 AM
DJ Menasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
There have been a lot of rumors about the show being fake and now it looks to be confirmed.

Really? Can you provide a source?

Nevermind. I found an article.
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Scott Kirn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco
Perhaps that's the problem. I think you are viewing it as entertainment rather than educational.

I think it's the opposite. I'm viewing the show as educational, because that is how they are selling it. Thus my criticisms.

Quote:
I believe he's attempting to emulate dire situations in order to inform, e.g. what happens when you fall through ice and the events there after. He didn't need to jump into friged waters, but he did.

That isn't how he presented it. He basically said he needed to get to the water, so he jumped. He never indicated that it's smarter to find a safer path. He also never said "if you find yourself falling from a cliff into a river, here is the best way to land".

Quote:
Its about disseminating information, albiet with entertainment.

So do you think it's educational or entertainment?

Quote:
And by the way he runs and pushes brush like its nobody's business because he's only given a limited amount of time to locate civilization.

So what you are describing is a game. Therefore, they should sell it as a game show. But they don't. It's deceitful.

Anyway, I call BS. Look at the video above. He's 100 feet from the road. What civilization is he running to?
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:52 AM
James Reed
KI4PBH

from the news article link above comes a quote very fitting to this thread...

"If you really believe everything happens the way it is shown on TV, you are being a little bit naive.”
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Scott Kirn

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahdog2003
from the news article link above comes a quote very fitting to this thread...

"If you really believe everything happens the way it is shown on TV, you are being a little bit naive.”

I much prefer this quote:

“Born Survivor is not an observational documentary series but a ‘how to’ guide to basic survival techniques in extreme environments,” the spokeswoman said.

They are selling it as a "how to guide". My argument is that it's a crappy, and potentially dangerous how to guide.

Again, I will point to my example above. If this was a show about basic recovery techniques, then I'm sure some of you would have an issue with them perpetuating unsafe tactics.

But in the end, I agree, it's just a TV show.
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

Quote:
Some of my favorite Bear Grylls moments;

1. Climbing up a narrow canyon wall in Utah to take eggs from a birds nest (with no ropes). After eating one egg raw, he tells the camera that it's actually very dangerous to eat raw eggs. Then why did you do it??? He then proceeds to fry the next two on a hot rock.

2. Climbing down a waterfall, rather than climbing down the path NEXT to the waterfall.

3. Jumping from a 30 foot cliff into a icy cold raging river so he can ride the white water rapids and "float down to civilization". I almost wished he broke his legs.

4. Catching a trout and tearing into it raw with his teeth like an animal.

5. The dirt streaks that are always on his cheeks....which look suspiciously like two hand prints.

6. He's always running and rolling down cliffs. (If you are in a survial situation, why run?)

But my favorite moment was when he laying in a shelter at night, saying how the hardest part of being gone for a week in a survival situation is the loneliness and having someone to talk to. But he's telling this to the camera crew that has followed him around for days!

You forgot the one where he parachutes into a tree, states he's 60ft up and then jumps down. Clearly he was only 8-10ft from the ground so the camera shakes while he performs a British Special Forces roll to break his "fall".

Absolutely classic fucktard BS TV.

I did however enjoy when he boiled the reindeer meat in the hot spring.
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:37 PM
DJ Menasco

Quote:
I think it's the opposite. I'm viewing the show as educational, because that is how they are selling it. Thus my criticisms.

I see. I didn't view it as a selling piont as much as they have some good ideas. The rest is obviously flash. Like the jump into the river for no apparent reason. While I don't advocate the sadist approach you seem to take [his legs breaking] it was readily apparent to me it was needless.

Quote:
That isn't how he presented it. He basically said he needed to get to the water, so he jumped. He never indicated that it's smarter to find a safer path. He also never said "if you find yourself falling from a cliff into a river, here is the best way to land".

I think we're talking about different episodes. I was refering to the episode where he jumps into a frozen lake. I believe he chutes into the alps? I liked the tid-bits of information he had to present, but I think he cheated the "experience" by having a fire on standby AND stripping down so he'd have some dry clothing. Meh.

Quote:
So do you think it's educational or entertainment?

It's both. Some bull some truths. Like most things you have to sift through the bull. Some of the information apprears quite usefull, although he makes it more simplistic than it acuatlly is.

Quote:
Anyway, I call BS. Look at the video above. He's 100 feet from the road. What civilization is he running to?

That was pretty funny......er interesting.

I take home some information, but like the majority who have posted a lot of his session are questionable, but I don't get my panties in a bunch over it. It's a TV show.
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:40 AM
stevevz

I think that shows like Man vs. Wild and Survivor Man are entertaining and present an ‘entertaining’ overview of some basic survival skills. I would not expect to find an authoritative source for survival in a 20min primetime TV show. The techniques demonstrated in the show were not invented by guys named Bear and Les. They are well documented practices that are described in detail in publications like the US Air force survival manual. I have heard both shows accurately state that mental aptitude is the #1 survival skill. If the show was actually intended to teach in-depth survival techniques, it would be so incredibly boring that I would be able to kick my Ambien addiction. The shows main audience is the arm chair (Hummer aftershave wearing) ‘want to be’, not the true outdoor adventurer.

The guy has summited Everest (Mt. circus ) and has crossed the Artic ocean……he certainly has some credentials. He also states that he was honored to be asked to do the show for the Discovery channel because he knows that there are many other people that would be more qualified. Hotel stays, camera crew rescues, pre-built bamboo rafts……..still one of the better entertainment choices in a sea of programming stupidity.