User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 1st, 2012, 09:51 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
I would argue that they are hunters and that it is hunting. Just because it is not what you consider to be hunter is not how it is perceived by the world at large.

In the end you are all pointing a gun and pulling a trigger.

Rob, it's sad you aren't more hip to this considering where you're from.
As I pointed out, this isn't wild bird hunting. It's a canned commercial operation. Look at the parking space. And that pheasant is tiny.

But more importantly, hunting is not pulling the trigger. That's shooting. The vast majority of hunting I've ever done never involved the gun going bang.
Old March 1st, 2012, 10:18 AM
Keith Armstrong

I must admit...I've enjoyed the "hunting" more the the "shooting" for some time now. The dogs have just as much fun either way.

Jack - we've got a number of places around here where they'll hatch the birds in the barn and then turn them out when they're a little older.

They still behave largely like wild birds...you just get to have an extended season.

KAA
Old March 1st, 2012, 11:29 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I've shot preserve birds.
It's a distant second.

Much like having a picnic table in your campsite.
Old March 1st, 2012, 12:14 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old March 1st, 2012, 10:24 PM
marcus vitale
KI6NVU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Armstrong

Jack - we've got a number of places around here where they'll hatch the birds in the barn and then turn them out when they're a little older.

They still behave largely like wild birds...you just get to have an extended season.

KAA

no they dont, unless you mean they both fly, and sometimes the preserve birds dont even do that.

the entire " stocked " bird hunting is what makes SD such a disappointment for me. the birds are nothing like wild birds, and they mix with wild birds and have diluted or " dumbed down " the genetic make up of the wild bird population.

all this so someone can " shoot " more or extend a season. i would much prefer a day in the field with one awesome track or flush on a wild bird than shooting a limit.
Old March 1st, 2012, 10:28 PM
marcus vitale
KI6NVU

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCWhybrew
Aren't most photos, that aren't action shots or true candids, staged? Jack's pictures of his dog, gear, and Rovers are fantastic, yet they're staged.

The only problem I see with the picture posted was it didnt look right with the shotgun propped up against a sappling and a pheasant stuck in the sappling. Yeah, it could have been a lot better, but I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

it had nothing to do with how the photo was staged or composed. with that i have no problem.

its the parking space in the back, and the tiny bird. plus the bell is the wrong size.

same thing when guys take photos with hens. its a dead give away that someone went out on a dennis the menace hunt.
Old March 1st, 2012, 10:30 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Wild birds are wary, sneaky bastards. They also seem to have more armour plating for some reason.

Maybe that's why they taste better.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 05:35 AM
Stuart Ivie

.54 caliber muzzleloading double rifle. With a Scout scope.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:35 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
I've shot preserve birds.
It's a distant second.

Much like having a picnic table in your campsite.

Preserve birds are to wild birds as farmed Atlantic salmon are to wild Pacific sockeye salmon. Any way you slice it, they aren't the same thing.

My brother and I had a member ship at a local hunt club in Illinois. If you wanted to hunt pheasant, there wasn't much of a choice. I remember once when a bird jumped. I was shocked at how big the fucking thing was. I had a direct hit with the bird at short range. There was a massive cloud of feathers from the impact. The bird kept on flying like nothing happened. I took another shot with another direct hit. That shot had more of an impact on the bird,but it still kept on flying, but fell to the ground eventually.

Later on when we cleaned the bird, this freak of nature had a 3/4" layer of fat under the skin that was acting as armor plating. That kind of ruined it for me.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:50 AM
Rob Davison

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Rob, it's sad you aren't more hip to this considering where you're from.
As I pointed out, this isn't wild bird hunting. It's a canned commercial operation. Look at the parking space. And that pheasant is tiny.

But more importantly, hunting is not pulling the trigger. That's shooting. The vast majority of hunting I've ever done never involved the gun going bang.

I perceive that to some people hunting is about the pursuit or the methods employed that present the best or most frequent opportunity to find what they are perusing. To the rest of the world hunting = weapon+dead animal.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:30 AM
Kevin Price KJ6NII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCWhybrew
Aren't most photos, that aren't action shots or true candids, staged? Jack's pictures of his dog, gear, and Rovers are fantastic, yet they're staged.

Staged is staged to create a perception of reality. Staged shots are advertising. If you don't see a product obviously for sale in a staged shot, then the product being advertised is the photographer.

Pics of a Bike, Propped Up on Something, are the same. They are created to say, "here is my bike, shined up and looking awesome, so that you can see how awesome I am, even when I have just casually left my Bike, Propped Up on Something."
Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:29 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp
Staged is staged to create a perception of reality. Staged shots are advertising. If you don't see a product obviously for sale in a staged shot, then the product being advertised is the photographer.

Pics of a Bike, Propped Up on Something, are the same. They are created to say, "here is my bike, shined up and looking awesome, so that you can see how awesome I am, even when I have just casually left my Bike, Propped Up on Something."

You really can't tell the difference, can you.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:59 AM
Stuart Ivie

Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:58 PM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee

At least he took the time to make a good spare tire mount and also make sure the seats all match. And it was also smart of him to photograph it on a bright, sunny day so you won't realize that when it rains on this piece of shit you get wet.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:43 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:48 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:49 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:53 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:56 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:59 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:06 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

What a shit-kicker truck.

That 4x4 Off-Road sticker on the rear is hilarious as well. You see this all the time. Dodge has it. Nissan has it. Ford has it. Toyota has it. I'm sure other companies have it as well.

They call this branding. Like other branding attempts, this is a fail. There's a lot of stupid Land Rover shit out there in the Land Rover world, but I have never seen a 4x4 Off-Road sticker on a Land Rover. Why not? Because every vehicle Land Rover makes automatically comes with 4x4 Off-Road capability. It's so basic Land Rover doesn't even brag about it. It would be like Land Rover bragging that its vehicles came with tires or something. That's real branding.

It's like test targets for rifles. Some rifle companies brag how their super sniper tactical one-shot-one-kill edition comes with a test target. Big deal. Each and every Anschutz rifle down to the lowly Woodchucker that is made for little kids comes with a test target.

If you want real branding, branding that lasts, it takes more than some buzzwords or a sticker to do it.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:20 PM
Rob Davison

I love it when branding gets on your nerves. lol

Always makes me think of this old ad.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:38 PM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee

WTF is that? Are those stickers or worse....are they holes cut into the body?

Old March 2nd, 2012, 03:14 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old March 2nd, 2012, 03:20 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Sport utility vehicle (SUV) was overhauled by a British tuner based in the Middle East, Design Q, to the very concept of luxury. Their work is named after the Range Rover Q-VR. According to the creator, this SUV is a plane that creeps on the highway.

Imagine, the passenger door opened like the central part of the aircraft, lifted upward. Later, mini ladder would protrude to passengers riding with ease. Not only that, in it there is a mini-bar, cigarette boxes, and mini-spa. In the Range Rover engine stretch Q-VR uses standard engine-powered supercharged 5.0 L V8 510HP with 625 Nm of torque