FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 9th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

that was great, love the angry white guy with the 2 mirrors on his helmet

Old March 10th, 2012, 10:43 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Eddy Merckx build:

This guy is Mr. old skool retro cred steel is real and he has Shimano Di2 electronic shifting?
Old March 10th, 2012, 07:42 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I like this video on the Campagnolo EPS:

I don't think that guy is bullshitting when he says his biggest reward is the satisfaction of the pro riders with the new EPS.

I also like these interviews with the crew who designed the 11-Speed drivetrain:

It's just an interview in a room. There's no music or other branding there. This interview probably cost nothing to make, but it's much more effective (at least to me) than some million-dollar Superbowl commercial with fireworks.

Speaking of cheap, head cheese Giuseppe Dal Pra's office is almost monastic:

Engineering:

Testing:

These are cool videos, but I wish the guys showed more interest in artistry. They seem single-minded on performance. Yes, performance is important. Perhaps it's most important. But art is also important. That's where nobody else can touch Campagnolo. And that's also where Campagnolo today is lacking. Technology without emotion is empty.

Bring back the artistry and passion. Make your technology become emotion once again. Heck, while you're at it, bring back the Campagnolo tool kit too:

Old March 11th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Cyber bullying. Possible monetary damages to future sales of trucks. This guy is something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendy Jarrett
Thank you Tom! I encourage folks to visit your links as the information is way more current than the 1964 law mentioned earlier-

And to that I'll add:

Jeff:
I feel the same about you. You and I both have been through several "phases" of trying to land on the mix that works best for us. And I too would come to your aid or help you in any way I possibly could.
There are people that think I was crazy for letting go of my 110, and there are those that think I was crazy to ever own one. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.

Regarding Copyright Law:
I am not a lawyer (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night), but this is from a corporate internet lawyer that is a colleague of mine:
"Copyright begins at the time of creation. Registration (required to sue and helpful to establish exact dates) is an option to better establish copyrights and maintain a right to enforce in courts. Notice is required in order to obtain statutory damages of up to $150K per use. Even though a copyrighted image does not have notice or registration, the copyright may be infringed. There are certain uses that are considered a "fair use", but the determination is difficult and fact sensitive. There is certainty in this defense however not impossible.

Say someone posted a copyrighted image perhaps it is an avatar or an image that has been traded around the net for years. If (insert online forum name) posts that image (via a registered user), then (insert online forum name) is liable if there is an infringement (this is why most businesses take great measures to only use photos or music in their content creative that they have ownership of or license to use).
If a third party does, then under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act offers safe harbor in some instances, but not if a person demands it be taken off a particular site."

Let's look at this situation from a more practical assessment- You don't know the sensitivity of the folks that visit here. They may range from the completely thick skinned survivalist, to the overly sensitive- emotionally unstable introvert. That is why I bring up cyber-bullying. As you know, there are folks that teach their kids "eye for an eye" and there are others that teach "turn the other cheek", but you'd like to think that folks that are adults would have moved past the need to be hyper-critical or poke fun (harass) other folks.
Every State is different with regard to cyber bullying laws, but I can tell you for sure that in Tennessee that cyber-harassment is a class A (S.B.113) Misdemeanor which carries up to a one year prison sentence and $2500 fine.

Let's look at the potential implications:
You had your D-90 up for sale to someone that has the money to purchase but is a novice buyer. He gets online and starts doing research- He is ready to buy your truck for the asking price, ... but then, he comes across one of the short or long tirades on EE about your particular truck -with images and all. He calls and says, ... "I can't pay what you are asking now, as I have come across some critical information on your truck" and he either a) backs out of the sale, or b) decides he wants to offer $10K less. Do you have a legal leg to take legal action for the net negative effect ... the answer is quite possibly yes. And if you had asked for the info to be taken down, and it wasn't, ... then even more in your favor.

Cyber bullying is when someone pokes fun or harasses someone online without giving "adult" thought to the potential net result (consequences). The surprising thing here is that these are adults (one would like to think).

As to the representation of "honor" and the use of a film short about suicide as an example. What a shameful way of thinking. I guess one could then interpret the Jim Jones incident as honorable as well? I think not. The posting that goes on at EE is akin to the same philosophy however, ... "follow the leader" or "what the leader does must be ok, so I'll do it as well"
My Dad used to ask, ... if everyone jumped off the bridge ... would you do it too?

In the end, I have heard from EE folks how Expedition Portal is "internet pansy" and should be more "real world" and folks should grow thick skin. I appreciate the ground work and the example set by Expedition Portal that shows that you can critique with class and sensitivity. You can give good example of why someone should consider a different course for their build, ... based on facts or experience, but do so in a way that leads, guides or directs folks ... NOT belittles or berates them.
In the end, Expedition Portal is the site the truly "teaches" -

In a World full of bad examples, I for one, am glad Expedition Portal sets a good one.

I yield my soap box.

D
Old March 11th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Be careful. You might be sued for linking his comments.
Old March 11th, 2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
Cyber bullying. Possible monetary damages to future sales of trucks. This guy is something else.

That's awesome, what an absolute fucking moron.

Old March 11th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Kevin Price KJ6NII

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue
That's awesome, what an absolute fucking moron.
Wow. Be careful, you'll get sued.
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:21 AM

And his truck is only worth half of what he's asking.

Old March 13th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller
The officers that I know, am friends with, camp with, are gentlemen. They don't use offensive language or berate people who don't agree with them. They don't belittle people. They set a good example at all times.

This is rich.

(Hi, Bill. I didn't want to besmirch the hallowed halls of expo with a response. )
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu454
This is rich.

(Hi, Bill. I didn't want to besmirch the hallowed halls of expo with a response. )

Dendy, Corey, and Lothar of the Hill People are grasping at straws now. I think we're a day or two from thread lock/deletion.

I wonder if I could get them EE BBS accounts if I bought them each something from EE.
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
Dendy, Corey, and Lothar of the Hill People are grasping at straws now. I think we're a day or two from thread lock/deletion.

I wonder if I could get them EE BBS accounts if I bought them each something from EE.

Cap'n, I think you're on to something. Although I suspect Bill prefers to lurk. (Hi, Bill! )

Edit: I think that my campsite was copyrighted when I set it up. Perhaps I should contact my attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller;1066092
The owners of the company bash their customers.
They bash ExPo.
They advertise in Overland Journal while bashing the attending demographic.
John was even quoted recently in the pages of OJ. Scott quoted him.

I got to meet one of the craven little toadies recently at a charity camping event --- yes; he was car camping in a campground with his tent pitched perilously close to a picnic table, bathrooms and showers were frighteningly far away at 100 paces. Even with the large group and chilly temperatures we never ran low on hot water...
A mutual acquaintance introduced us and he said he was glad to meet me. I told him that he already knew me, that I was referred to as "William the Conqueror" on the Plumbers Snorkel Thread. He became silent, cast his eyes Earthward, and shuffled away quickly.
We had a great laugh.

They're children, anal expulsive juveniles, and this is their media du jour.
Paying attention to them, their antics, their advice, their wares, their advertising, their derision ---- only lends credence to the feces being flung by their keyboards and mouths.

Look away; don't shop with them.
I've also gone as far as to try and persuade OJ not to accept their advertising revenue. But that didn't work.

Now this is how a real man camps. No luxury. No RTT, no trailer, no tables. Eat on the ground with chopsticks (titanium Snowpeak, of course). Clean your semi-automatic with your tongue and spare underwear. Make your own bullets, kill your own food, eat your dead.
Manly men who prefer the camaraderie of other manly men.

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:49 AM

Damn, someone has a real hang-up.

People have repeatedly told me that I've wasted money on a winch or suspension or brakes or a tent or mountain bike or whatever, and the comments are meaningless....my personal interest is clearly not for them. Big deal. I think some people waste money on high-heeled shoes or the coolest sneakers or bling bling rims or the super-duper overlander conqueror expedition popup camping trailer. Big deal, their personal interest is not for me.

Old March 13th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

I suppose I should point out that the Hillbilly Hilton (no, that's what it's named), awning and tarp-covered tent weren't mine.

My stuff is confined to the manly site behind my D2.
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlittle

I hope I don't get sued by Alberto Contador.

Old March 13th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu454
I suppose I should point out that the Hillbilly Hilton (no, that's what it's named), awning and tarp-covered tent weren't mine.

My stuff is confined to the manly site behind my D2.

The fact that he does not pick up in the simplicity of your camp, or the tastefulness of your truck, speaks.

However, you should ditch the stickers and hood black-out, you redneck.

Old March 13th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
The fact that he does not pick up in the simplicity of your camp, or the tastefulness of your truck, speaks.

However, you should ditch the stickers and hood black-out, you redneck.

You can take a redneck out of the country...........
Old March 13th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Old March 14th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Christian Lalor

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlittle
I hope I don't get sued by Alberto Contador.
Be careful, he has a lot of free time on his hands right now.
Old March 14th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Is that a plate carrier or a bra?
Old March 14th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

11:40 at night and taking self portraits in the bathroom mirror.
Old March 15th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ

Is that a plate carrier or a bra?

Bra.

Also, I found his brother.

Old March 15th, 2012, 05:39 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Please tell me that's a joke.