Quote:
Originally Posted by hks3sgte
Toyota's Automatic Manual transmission:

I'd buy that

Old October 13th, 2017, 02:43 PM
Peter Matusov
AK6PM

He's somewhere in Alberta.

Going 200 miles from the nearest gas station in an LR3 is an entirely different matter.
Old October 13th, 2017, 02:48 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Firth
I leave my rack and stuff on throughout most of the summer, as I take the kayaks out 3-5 times a week and camp most weekends (the storage boxes are used to store life vests and tent stuff so that the cooking/clothing/food stuffs can be kept inside (food especially for bear reasons)).

I keep fuel up there because I camp (sometimes 200) miles away from the nearest gas station and my preparedness has helped other road users who are less well equipped get out of a situation. I imagine that locations which are better served with facilities would not require this sort of contingent.

I keep the water on the roof for my dog, who quickly overheats in the summer. We like to go out and about with the frisbee, and the +40c we get up here is hard for him to play in. I have a hose and wet the dog down in between his runs as well as for him to drink afterwards. This is far easier and more simpler than carrying several water bottles in the back which need refilling every couple of days.

In the winter, most of the stuff comes off the rack, but the rack stays for the tracks and the shovel/jack. Up here, when snow can be 2-3 feet deep in places, many cars get stuck in the ditches and traction can be an issue. For their sake (and due to the extremes of temperature) I like my vehicle to be equipped to help out. When I had my RRC, I was much more comfortable just heading into the snow to help them out -- but I am not at all confident in my LR3's performance off road in snow or mud to want to risk that -- so I carry equipment to help instead.

If you live where there are more facilities and the weather does not go down to -50c with the windchill, then I would perhaps agree with your assessment; but my time in the Army has made me the kind of person that anticipates issues and adapts to them with what I can. I usually pull out 10-15 vehicles every winter -- some of them mums with children in the car.

This guy is so full of shit. I love how he throws in the bit about bears at Jellystone Park. I always thought it was improper to keep food inside the vehicle because the bears would break the windows. I checked Yosemite's site and sure enough it says not to leave food in the car:

Quote:
You may store food inside your car (out of sight, with windows completely closed) only during daylight hours. You may not leave food in a pickup truck bed or strapped to the outside of a vehicle at any time. Do not store food in your car after dark: use a food locker. Remember to clear your car of food wrappers, crumbs in baby seats, and baby wipes--and even canned food and drinks. Think about packing all your food and related items together for easy removal from your car upon arriving in Yosemite.

So this Overlanding Advenchurist isn't even following the Jellystone rules.

Note how quickly he changes from Jellystone Park to camping 200 miles away from civilization. That's like twice the distance from Los Angeles to San Diego, but he says he does it. Again, I call bullshit.

Then the water on the roof is for his dog and not for him. I don't know if you've noticed, but Overlanders' gear is NEVER for them. It's always for someone else. The bullet shitter is not for them; it's for their wife. The rooftop tent isn't for them; it's for their kids. This time it's for the dog. What a swell guy.

He's also lying about his LR3 and Rangie Classic. This guy claims he had full confidence in his Rangie Classic's abilities in the snow, but he's not as confident in his LR3's abilities. Has he even fourwheeled with his trucks? Because it sure as hell doesn't sound like it to me. [There is the remote possibility that he has a Nathan Woods LR3 with no traction control, no lockers, no air suspension, etc., but doesn't seem to be what's going on here.]

The final paragraph is the closer. He's been in the Army. And he rescues mothers and children. So, Peter, you're an asshole for even daring to question this guy's purest of motives in equipping his LR3 the way that he does. He does it to rescue people.
Old October 13th, 2017, 03:02 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee

That one looks as if the Cook Partner stove has been adapted to the IGT Frame.

What a fucking mess.

Of course he's at Dennis The Menace Park.

LOL. Check out what that guy did to his Cook Partner Stove photo. Here's the URL to the photo:

http://www.chaddahlquist.com/forums/expo/5_13_06.jpg

I remember Corey doing the exact same thing to his advenchur photos. Morons really do think alike.

What's funny is that I didn't even know the guy's name before. But now I do: Chad Dahlquist. The guy has one of those moronic websites where you can cut off the image file to go to the folder:

http://www.chaddahlquist.com/forums/expo/

The first photo in that folder is another pic of his Dennis The Menace Adventures:

What a fucking mess.

To try to fit in on ExPo as some kind of Snow Peak aficionado, this guy blew thousands of dollars on one of those huge Snow Peak family tents and then hit Dennis The Menace Park again in his FJ Cruiser for some more Adventures in 20 lb. Propane:

And this guy is a photographer? Just like the other retards on ExPo, he can't even angle the pic so that the RV and EZ Up don't appear in the background.

I think life would be a lot easier for this guy if he just sold his overlanding advenchur gear and just bought an RV. He and his family could go on road trips and holiday weekend vacations and actually have a good time. And they wouldn't have to fake it any longer. They wouldn't have to keep their lies straight. They could just accept what they are and be what they are.
Old October 13th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Peter Matusov
AK6PM

Quote:
The final paragraph is the closer. He's been in the Army. And he rescues mothers and children. So, Peter, you're an asshole for even daring to question this guy's purest of motives in equipping his LR3 the way that he does. He does it to rescue people.
That's what ticked me off a bit.
I've spent some quality time picking 5-11 pants and various doodads overseas out of sheer boredom - so character type I can totally visualize.
Old October 13th, 2017, 04:11 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

When you encounter someone playing the High Road Card, he's probably a Low-Life in disguise.
Old October 13th, 2017, 04:38 PM
Peter Matusov
AK6PM

LOL.... I am trying to remember if Tony Simoneau was at the 2007 RR in Death Valley...
Old October 13th, 2017, 05:27 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I got this heroic anonymous email just now:

Quote:
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2017 5:22 PM
To: John Lee
Subject: Chimp

What a chimp, I bet you are related to that north Korean dictator. What a chimp, all these guys you cut down are out there enjoying their rigs, and you're stuck in mommy's basement on your computer. What a chimp. You should get out of the business of selling gear, your website sucks major too, who designed that piece of shit.

The timing suggests it's from that Chad Dahlquist guy, but my gut is guessing it's from Corey. Who knows.

As I have said many times before, these overlanding advenchurists claim to be all high road and such, but they're really squirrels trying to get a nut.
Old October 13th, 2017, 06:01 PM
Cesar Gomez

Quote:

The timing suggests it's from that Chad Dahlquist guy, but my gut is guessing it's from Corey. Who knows.

As I have said many times before, these overlanding advenchurists claim to be all high road and such, but they're really squirrels trying to get a nut.

The annual “EE Hurt My Feelings” thread is back up on ExPo, too.
Old October 13th, 2017, 09:42 PM
Matt Kendrick
KI6CGL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMatusov
LOL.... I am trying to remember if Tony Simoneau was at the 2007 RR in Death Valley...

He was. I ran into him gassing up at Kramer Junction. We chatted a bit and I saw that he had that Icom IC-7000 in his LR3. I asked for his call sign so we could keep talking on the way to DV. He stammered and gave me some L T Z four four niner. I was like, lol, ok.
Old October 14th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Jimmy Kelly

Quote:
The annual “EE Hurt My Feelings” thread is back up on ExPo, too.

Best quote so far.

Quote:
The EE guy could have saved himself a lot of customer goodwill if he had gone off on car camping instead of Overlanding.
Old October 14th, 2017, 10:26 AM
rich lee

ioverlanddoyou@gmail.com

you know he thinks this was the biggest email address score ever
Old October 14th, 2017, 10:30 AM
rich lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
Is there really anywhere in the Lower 48 that's 200 miles from the nearest gas?

I've been to pretty much all of the most isolated areas of this country in my truck but I don't think I've ever been more than about 75 trail-miles from fuel.

bingo.....

200 miles is some serious arctic tundra no mans land...
Old October 14th, 2017, 10:47 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Defender RV:

The rope and mud tires kinda sorta make it look like an advenchurmobile, but that's merely a facade. It's an RV in disguise.
Old October 14th, 2017, 10:55 AM
rich lee

one more - that picture of the snowpeak super tent...

rubbermaid drawers, a 5gal igloo water dispenser, that porch section or whatever it is, looks like what happens when 5 people pile into a cheap hotel.

i agree on this one, an rv would be SO much more fun for this family! go to the same places but no need to pack 80% of that mess.
Old October 14th, 2017, 11:20 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

American Advenchurr:

Quote:
Gentleman, EarthRoamer Xpedition Vehicles.

That quote is interesting. Let's look at it.

Gentleman? I've always described overlanding as "gentleman offroading". People (especially trashy people trying to get a nut) will disagree with that definition, and that's fine. But whoever wrote that caption seems to agree with the gentleman part. The problem with this XV-whatever is that it's not a gentleman vehicle.

This vehicle is a faker, and gentlemen don't fake it. It's a vacation RV not-so-cleverly disguised as an offroad adventure mobile. You can say I'm crazy because this vehicle has a winch, mud tires, 4x4, and so on. But I daresay I have never seen one of these in the wild. The only times I've seen them offroad was during some kind of professional photoshoot or at some kind of EarthRoamer event where the owners are being guided through Dennis The Menace Park by someone who knows what he's doing. That's not "in the wild".

This vehicle has a TV in it, and gentlemen camp without a TV. Shit-heads absolutely cannot live without their TVs. It's like a drug to them, and they're certainly addicted. The owners will tell you the TV for entertainment when they're on their eight-year journey through Mongolia, but that's as fake as the bowl of fruit in front of the TV that's there as a pathetic attempt at charm and will slide off the dining table at the first turn out of the parking lot.

This vehicle has a bigger-is-betterer feel to it, and gentlemen leave that the inferior poor people who have something to prove and are sucker enough to think their deficiencies can be remedied by blowing money.

This vehicle has zero art to it, and gentlemen need art as much as they need food or air. The black-and-white stormtrooper theme looks as terrible as the mountains on the side. The interior with its black granite counters, Keurig machine, and stainless sink are utterly lacking in any kind of charm. If this vehicle were a piece of furniture, it would be one of those giant leather sectionals with cupholders and a cubby bin for a giant bag of Doritos.

This vehicle is for pussies who are afraid to camp and can't shit in the woods. Part of overlanding is offroading. Offroading means going somewhere remote. Going somewhere remote means camping. This RV isn't camping. Of course the owner will tell you all of this is for his wife, but it's as clear as day that it's really for him.

This vehicle is called XV-something, and presumably the XV stands for Xtreme, XPLoR, Xpedition, and so on. All are totally lame. A gentleman doesn't try to be Xtreme. He leaves that for the fakers who do their Xtreme Xploration Xpeditions to Dennis The Menace Park.

This vehicle is ridiculously expensive. It probably costs a few hundred thousand dollars. Shit-heads think that makes it just the item a gentleman would want. However, that's not the case at all. A gentleman would want this vehicle as much as a super duper expensive Lambo or a diamond-encrusted Rolex.

This vehicle is kustum. I'm sure everything about is made to order. Fools think kustum is for gentlemen, but it's really not. Maybe things like custom Savile Row clothing might appeal to the gentleman. However, there is a huge difference between custom clothing that is made to fit a particular body and a kustum kar. Take a step back and look hard and you will see that it's poor people who love kustum because it makes them feel speshul or discriminating. Take food for example. Poor people make a big deal out of having a burger their way, or ordering a salad with the dressing on the side, or seasoning their food to their liking. In nice restaurants serving haute cuisine, you get what you get. There's no salt, pepper, steak sauce, ketchup, Tapatio, etc. on the table. They don't even ask you how you like your burger/steak/fish cooked. You just get what you get. Look at kustum guns. 99% of them are terrible and worth nothing. Gentlemen don't need kustum to make themselves feel good. That's what dumb poor people do.

Now imagine if the owners of that XV had something like this:

I see nothing wrong with that RV. In fact, I actually dig the "Cruise America" name of it. That's actually some cool shit.

There's no fakery here. It's just an RV. The people in it are on vacation. They're not trying to fake it that they're traveling to Mongolia on some Global Xpedition.

This RV is just an RV. It's not in disguise at all.
Old October 14th, 2017, 11:23 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Contrast that RV with this poseurmobile:

Note the kayak and mountain bikes. I'll bet you the owners of such a vehicle are fat.
Old October 14th, 2017, 02:31 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Quote:

Chimp? Dosen't he mean chump?

chimp
Performing low quality work very quickly. Based on the fact that the entire chimpanzee sex act, from erection to ejaculation is typically less than 3 seconds. The term is currently very common among frumdebars.

I don't know what frumdebars are, either. I tried to look that up as well but could not find anything.

But I think the guy meant chump.

Chump
1. a person, usually a man, so clueless about the opposite sex, that they cannot establish a romantic or sexual relationship with a member of the opposite sex, even when they have the opportunity.

2. a man who, after attracting a member of the opposite sex, acts so wimpy, clueless and ineffective, that the woman loses interest and move onto someone else.

3. a man who always ends up as a girl's "friend" rather than her romantic partner.

4. a guy so used to not having a romantic or sexual relationship with a woman, that when the opportunity arises the guy is so afraid of blowing it he puts himself in a servile position to the woman, changing his opinions on everything to her opinions, causing her to be seduced away from him by another man who takes charge and knows how to make a move.

5. A guy who, having attracted a girl's interest, is so needy or high maintenance that it creeps her out, and makes her lose interest.
Sorry, chump. You took too long to make your move, and now Cindy is dating Farouk

Man, what a chump Felix is. Denise came with him to the party, and he just stood by while Jorge stole her away from him
#wimp#pansy#nice guy#friend#creep

These overlander guys remind me of all the big-brother-trucker-wannabe diesel enthusiast guys with there 2500 and 3500 trucks on 20" chrome wheels, 8" lifts, and fat exhaust pipe tips. Like the overlander crowd these guys only leave home twice a year because they can barley afford their truck payment.
Old October 15th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Kevin Price KJ6NII

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMatusov
Here's a response I got for saying essentially the same (don't plan on using it -> no reason to keep it on the roof):
----------------

2-3 feet of snow... Wow. Sand ladders must help a lot.

Quote:
but my time in the Army

Homie played the ThankYouForYourService-card pretty late in the post. I expect that to be played right in the beginning if it gets played at all.
Old October 16th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Cesar Gomez

Old October 16th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

Everything horrible comes from Utah. #Utah

Quote:

Old October 16th, 2017, 10:04 AM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

That thing could use an extra axle under door #3

Old October 16th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Jason Rose
KF7YVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlittle
Everything horrible comes from Utah. #Utah

This that MLM guy that lives close to you?

Old October 16th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Chris von C
N0H4MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
Is there really anywhere in the Lower 48 that's 200 miles from the nearest gas?

I've been to pretty much all of the most isolated areas of this country in my truck but I don't think I've ever been more than about 75 trail-miles from fuel.
Shh, you'll ruin the fantasy.