User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 18th, 2017, 05:45 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlittle

I read all of that in the loud, Sabado Gigante voice.

Old October 18th, 2017, 08:03 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Hey guys check out my Director's Cut build:

Quote:
Recipe:
Combine 1 ½ oz Johnnie Walker Black Label Director’s Cut, 1 oz clarified lemon juice and 1.5 oz honey syrup into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well and strain over large cold draft ice cube in a rocks glass. Garnish with ginger flavor Sensory Cloud by using a Le Whaf, a sensory cloud carafe.

Like most builds, this one became a contest. The builder was going to build his build bigger and betterer than anyone had before him. Little did he know that would doom him to failure.

Contrast that ridiculous build with how Blade Runner actually did it:

Quote:
Recipe:
Pour Johnnie Walker Black Label into a glass. Enjoy.
Old October 18th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

"It can drink okay, as long as nobody unplugs it." - Bryant
Old October 18th, 2017, 10:35 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Another Genius Director's Cut Drinker:

Dude, I guess you don't know this yet, but you're supposed to remove the sticker from the glass when you get it.

Blade Runner Drinker:

See? That guy gets it. No sticker:

Really, this isn't that hard. Figure it out.
Old October 18th, 2017, 01:03 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Sorry if I'm late to the party, but I just saw this on YouTube. How is this Volcano Grill (and not the ridiculously stupid Skottle) not the standard Overlandurr Advenchurist cooking device?:

It transforms. And it even looks like a lunar lander. Overlanders fucking love the lunar lander. Nearly all of their campsites are trying to look like Tranquility Base.

You can choose among wood, charcoal, or propane for fuel. So when you're in the Atacama Desert and there's no wood, you can use propane. When you're in a forest, you can use deadwood. If you're tailgating at the local douchebag football game, you can use charcoal. It's the best of all three worlds. Seriously, do the math.

It's modular. Uberlanders love modular. They even love the word modular.

Action videos:

It's a perfect pocket for the dutch oven, and I'm even digging the reversible griddle/grill. If you look at the shape of the oven, it's very similar to what the Chinese restaurants have for their woks. You could plop a wok on the Volcano and go to town like an authentic Chinese cook with wok skills.

The wood-burning abilities aren't stupid either. This Volcano would be a decent fire pan for those areas without campfire rings.

I didn't know what this cost so I checked Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...=volcano+grill

$130? Not bad at all. And the accessories are well priced too. If Snow Peak had the exact items for sale, they would cost two to three times as much, and maybe even more.

Seriously, I'm digging this Volcano. I've never seen one in person and of course I've never used it, but it's safe to say it blows away the Skottle.

Why is this Volcano not the standard overlandurr advenchurr cooking device? The problem with the Volcano of course is that it doesn't have a fake Afrikaans name like "Skottle" that everyone including the ganocky and inyoki people can still pronounce. And the manufacturer isn't some fake African company that's really located in Fullerton, CA like "TemboTusk". The Volcano Grill just is what it is, so the fake uberlanders won't like it for their make-believe trips to Dennis The Menace Park.

Also, the Volcano isn't an overland-specific device like the Skottle. Volcano owners aren't speshul like the members of the Secret Skottle Society.
Old October 18th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Peter Matusov
AK6PM

I'd venture to say that cleaning that Volcano is going to be a bitch.
Old October 18th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Kevin Price KJ6NII

I didn't watch the videos, but I'll wager that the spokesperson doesn't speak like a Boer.

True story, my buddy just picked up a couple of plow disks from a farm in AZ (for free), welded up a hole in the center and added handles and made them into skottles. But his go on a campfire and can be lifted up with the handles like a big-ass wok. They are about 22" in diameter and he says he can cook bacon and eggs for about 15 boy scouts in one shot. Now that, I dig it.

But it doesn't have legs or a custom carry bag, so there's that.
Old October 18th, 2017, 01:57 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I'm guessing cooking on those plow discs is as old as plow discs. I don't see anything wrong with it. But there is a huge difference between welding up an old plow disc and something like this:

This is kind of like preparing lunch on the liftgate. Sure, the liftgate is too low and you have to stoop over if want to use it as a makeshift table. And if you want to sit on the liftgate, it's too high and your feet are dangling off the ground. But the liftgate is already there and it feels improv and clever to use it as a makeshift table or a seat.

It's quite another thing to build a kustum table or cooking device that's too low or too high. That feels moronic. I think the Skottle is too low:

The Skottle is so low that it might even be too low for this kid:

I can only guess that the TemboTusk people are idiots, or they designed the Skottle so that you could cook while sitting down (who would want to do that?). And the wok is fixed in place. And the Skottle isn't a converted plow disc, so its radii don't make sense to me. And I don't get the pool of oil in the middle thing:

Old October 18th, 2017, 02:42 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
I would like to talk about on board water.
I am trying to figure out what route I would like to go.
Something simple with pvs /abs plastic.
Pressured fitting or small electric pump that I could get from Amazon.

If I am going to all this trouble, should I do a full fledge on board water with pump and pressure regulator.

How do you keep your water from freezing during the winter.
Go!
Picture for attention.
Old October 18th, 2017, 02:47 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

You can't be serious. Rookie doesn't even have the Partner Steel Stove:

And his try-hard ghetto blaster is way short of the big-screen TV that real ballers like Jamie Oliver have:

Old October 18th, 2017, 02:50 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
My buddy's D2 G4 edition with OLP Anza tent and Wraptor awning.

And I thought Raptor was degenerate. Wraptor takes it next-level degenerate.
Old October 18th, 2017, 02:55 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old October 18th, 2017, 02:58 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

I have nothing against the basic form of Skottle cooking, the concave steel dish. In fact, the best tacos I've ever eaten in my life were made by an old man in a dish like a Skottle placed over a 55 gallon drum outside a bus station in Culiacán, Sinaloa. He would crisp up the meat on one side and crisp up the corn tortillas in some oil on the other.

The actual Skottle is, in my opinion, a shitty implementation of a great cooking method. As John pointed out, the 28" legs are way, way too short. Its basically useless off its little tripod. Compare this to a bowl-shaped cast iron cooker like the Snow Peak dutch oven: the cast iron can be put on top of a grill or on top of a white gas stove. You can also throw it directly on a fire if you want. Look at the Skottle:

It's obvious just by looking at it that you're not going to put it on top of your Coleman grill: it would tip right over. You won't put it directly on your fire, either, because it will be a bitch to pull off: it has no handles.

The Skottle also uses shitty Christmas tree stand eyelet screws and the most white trash of all heating methods, the Coleman propane can. Those cans are heavy and have shitty threads and they're nowhere near as space- or weight-efficient as white gas, my heat source of choice. Those shitty propane tanks are also huge and not easily crushed and wasteful.

You can do everything that the Skottle does (plus so much more) on a regular old cast iron skillet or dutch oven, and do it for a fraction of the price.
Old October 18th, 2017, 03:03 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old October 18th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Kevin Price KJ6NII

I keep thinking about these construction workers at a site next to my buddy's apartment when I was in college. Come lunchtime they would make a fire of 2x4 trimmings and upend a metal trash can lid on it, then use it like a griddle to heat up their food. I assume that they cleaned it up first with some water and a rag, maybe they put down foil. Maybe they just threw down their food on the dirty lid. It was legit- just burn stuff to heat food. It smelled a lot better than what I was eating.

Skottle. It's African. It comes in its own bag. You deploy it. It weighs 22lbs. It costs $285. You've probably never heard of it.
Old October 18th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMatusov
I'd venture to say that cleaning that Volcano is going to be a bitch.

turn it upside down and bang it against a rock like everything else

grease and shit will burn off eventually

I kind of like the Volcano thing. The way it transforms from nondescript circle of metal to lunar lander with one quick pull of the handle is mesmerizing. It even makes a satisfying "ka-chink" sound. Then like magic it condenses back down to a small circle of metal. Witchcraft, I say.

My wife wants me to get a good camping cooking solution that we can deploy in the field, other than my standard dirty old grill over the red hot fire coals, or my dirty old metal pot over my little pocket rocket stove. The Volcano may be it. I'll always cook greasy shit on my grill over the fire, but I like this propane option as well as the contained wood fire for when there are burn restrictions. Think I could wrap the outer hull in gold foil for the true lunar lander look?

Edit: the Volcano is nice and round in it's storage bag and I could stow it on my spare wheel under my trasharoo. What a value added bonus.

Old October 18th, 2017, 03:14 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

THIS XL CAMPING SKILLET WILL EAT YOUR GRILL FOR BREAKFAST:

http://www.insidehook.com/nation/tem...amping-skillet

This part is interesting:

Quote:
When assembled, the Skottle stands 28 inches tall and weighs 22 pounds (food not included), so it isn’t the easiest piece of equipment to tote around. But anyone who’s ever slaved over a hibachi (and/or run out of space on one) should appreciate the elevated pan’s height and size.

I don't know who this Evan Bleier is, but I don't think he has any clue how tall or low most things are. Even my rookie ass knows that the average household counter is 36" tall. Add the height of the grates and the pot/pan/wok itself and you're way taller than 36". And yet the average American female has no problem with that height. What makes this guy think a 28" high Skottle should be appreciated?
Old October 18th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee

Attached Images
File Type: jpg favelas3.jpg (375.6 KB, 5 views)

Old October 18th, 2017, 03:48 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue
My wife wants me to get a good camping cooking solution that we can deploy in the field, other than my standard dirty old grill over the red hot fire coals, or my dirty old metal pot over my little pocket rocket stove. The Volcano may be it

I hope you get it, because I'm curious. My Inner Overlander is digging that Volcano.

As for cleaning it, just don't clean it. I'm serious. Remember my old coffee machine?:

That was the Official EE Shop Coffee Machine for about 10 years or so and I don't think we ever cleaned it. We rinsed out the pot before filling it, but we never did the de-scale thing, vinegar action, or anything else for that matter. Fuck it.
Old October 18th, 2017, 03:52 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

What a pathetic attempt at art.
Old October 18th, 2017, 04:05 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Bill, if you get the Volcano, be sure to score this wok:

That would plop right into the Volcano and blow the Skottle right out of Dennis The Menace Park.
Old October 18th, 2017, 04:18 PM
Peter Matusov
AK6PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue
turn it upside down and bang it against a rock like everything else

grease and shit will burn off eventually
Not sure about that, Bill. Even this ridiculously simple thing required about 10 minutes of cleaning before I put it away -

I can only imaging how much crap will accumulate in the Volcano.

EDIT: I am not talking about "shiny spotless" cleaning. Just so the grease stays mostly off and does not permeate the bag.
Old October 18th, 2017, 07:31 PM
Chris von C
N0H4MF

I totally forgot I used to follow a Snow Peak thread over on expo and since I logged in to read the cry-baby thread, I got an alert that there was an update, more specifically, a post about REI having a half off sale on the SP double burner stove which is the last big wish list item I've wanted for my cooking kit... I went to check it it and holy crap its up to 260+ pages! Cant remember the last time I had checked in on that thread but apparently I have a lot to catch up on there.
Old October 19th, 2017, 05:42 AM
Cesar Gomez

Coke Zero
Old October 19th, 2017, 09:35 AM
Chris von C
N0H4MF

Nice... I try to post for the first time in 7 years over there in the Snow Peak thread and get dB error. What are the chances that I happen to hit the site just when they have a real dB error or more likely that I'm still on that stupid ban for calling out the moron who drilled his cb mount square in the middle of a skin panel 400 years ago?