User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 20th, 2017, 05:45 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

New York Strip Steak with Red Wine Mushroom Sauce:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...recipe-1925426

Okay, that one is starting to look a little disgusting. But a skilled cook could easily make the identical dish and present it beautifully and I would gladly eat it.

My point is that half a pound of mushrooms, a reduced cup of red wine, two teaspoons of thyme and three tablespoons of butter is hardly different from bottled steak sauce. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding himself.
Old October 20th, 2017, 05:50 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Barefoot Contessa's filet has everything under the sun and looks delicious:

That looks so good that only some chump vegetarian or vegan would turn it down. And yet there's so much sauce there that the filets are swimming in it.

Recipe:

https://www.today.com/recipes/ina-ga...recipe-t104290

Really, I don't see any real difference between all of that and steak sauce. I'm speaking about in terms of preserving the sanctity of the steak and all that.

I crack up every time I hear some gluten-intolerant bearded millennial hipster fuck talk shit about steak sauce because it's not "craft" enough for him. These are the same assholes who pour soy sauce on their rice at Asian restaurants. I cringe whenever I see someone do that.

You want disgusting? That's it right there. The rice is all brown and shit from the soy sauce. And you can't eat with chopsticks any more because the soy sauce took away the stickiness of the rice. And the entire yin-yang theory of Asian seasoning (no seasoning on rice and too much seasoning on the meat but they balance out one another) is lost.
Old October 21st, 2017, 08:30 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

What a total chump bike.

That Brooks leather bar tape, saddle, and saddle bag look terrible on there. This looks about as good as those Defenders with leather interiors.

His Colnago has braze-ons for the rear brake housing, but for good measure he also added the Campy brake housing clamps. Not only does that look stupid, somehow he ignores the fact that everything else on the frame like the shifters, front derailleur, bottle cage, and shift cable guides are all braze-on.

He wanted to be super old skool with the leather and clamp-ons, but his rims are aero V-sections. Moron has no clue.

I can't tell what hubs he has, but the skewers aren't Campagnolo.

His pedals don't have toeclips and straps because this guy is a pussy and is afraid to ride strapped in. If he actually rode during this era, he would be used to riding strapped in and be fine with it. This guy can't even fake it by having the clips and straps on there but not tightening them, because he's such a loser that he can't get into the clips without first pedaling several revolutions while grinding the toeclips into the ground.

The black hoods aren't Campagnolo. Nobody rode black hoods during this era. All of the hoods were latex color.

He was trying to be Mr. Retro Cred, but you can tell he has zero experience riding bikes from that era. The saddle is tilted down rather than level or tilted up. The bars are tilted up rather than being parallel to the top tube. His Super Record crank has the dust covers over the axle bolts. Nobody who rode during this era put the dust cover on the crank.

What a faker.

This is what a Colnago from the era looks like:

Old October 23rd, 2017, 06:46 PM
Matt Kendrick
KI6CGL

Not to mention what appears to be a first generation "aero" rim set.

Especially when everyone was on MA40's. I went to GL330's and thought I was hot shit, until everyone then went to GL280's.
Old October 24th, 2017, 07:25 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Barefoot Contessa's filet has everything under the sun and looks delicious:

That looks so good that only some chump vegetarian or vegan would turn it down. And yet there's so much sauce there that the filets are swimming in it.

Recipe:

https://www.today.com/recipes/ina-ga...recipe-t104290

Really, I don't see any real difference between all of that and steak sauce. I'm speaking about in terms of preserving the sanctity of the steak and all that.

I crack up every time I hear some gluten-intolerant bearded millennial hipster fuck talk shit about steak sauce because it's not "craft" enough for him. These are the same assholes who pour soy sauce on their rice at Asian restaurants. I cringe whenever I see someone do that.

You want disgusting? That's it right there. The rice is all brown and shit from the soy sauce. And you can't eat with chopsticks any more because the soy sauce took away the stickiness of the rice. And the entire yin-yang theory of Asian seasoning (no seasoning on rice and too much seasoning on the meat but they balance out one another) is lost.

This reminds me of how the artisanal bearded hipsters hate American cheese. These cheeseburgers are probably the pinnacle of cheeseburgers. They are my go to burgers at home now.

I follow Serious Eats on Facebook and like a lot of pages, they will repeat postings on FB every few months or so. This recipe calls for American cheese since it is designed to melt really easily. Every damn time, these hipsters go bananas because they'd never eat American cheese. It's not good enough for them. "It tastes like plastic". I swear these morons don't give a damn what something tastes like; they only care about the image of the food and whether each component is made from locally sourced, artisanally produced ingredients.
Old October 24th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

Those burgers looks awesome, Mike. Thanks for sharing.

I love American cheese - yellow American cheese. I make my kids 'the classic dad sandwich'. It's a cheap 80's sandwich my dad used to make when we were out riding motorcycles in the desert around Kanab, UT. Bologna, mayo, American cheese, mustard, iceberg lettuce - between white bread.

Old October 24th, 2017, 09:36 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I can take or leave American cheese. However, it's the only cheese for burgers and grilled cheeses.

American cheese is definitely like steak sauce. Designer-poor people dismiss both of them not because they actually dislike them, but rather because they heard on the interweb chat rooms that steak sauce and American cheese are degenerate.

Remember when it was hip for wannabe gourmet artsy people to bash showtunes? Apparently people actually like showtunes when they're combined with people of color in the third world:

Companies wouldn't try to sell you stuff with showtunes if it didn't actually work. Deep down everyone loves showtunes.
Old October 24th, 2017, 11:36 AM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

The Volcano has landed.

Old October 24th, 2017, 01:26 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

White American cheese is he best cheese for Mexican cheese dip.

I like cream cheese, apple jelly and fried jalapenos on my burgers.
Old October 24th, 2017, 03:36 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old October 24th, 2017, 03:53 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Hey guys check out my Overlanding Camel Trophy Defender Rig:

Old October 24th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Jimmy Kelly

Quote:
However, it's the only cheese for burgers and grilled cheeses.

Agree with this 100%. I also think it is the best for macaroni and cheese. I made some mac and cheese with 2 lbs of American cheese, some milk, noodles, and topped it with Cheetos. I don't think I've had better.
Old October 24th, 2017, 04:10 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Mr. It's Tactical was going for this:

Old October 24th, 2017, 04:11 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Old October 24th, 2017, 04:38 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
I can take or leave American cheese. However, it's the only cheese for burgers and grilled cheeses.

I just realized something: what's a patty melt other than a swirl of a burger and a grilled cheese? If I want American cheese on my burger and American cheese on my grilled cheese, why don't I care what kind of cheese is on my patty melt?

Swiss?:

Sure, I'm totally fine with that.

American?:

Sure, that looks good too. I'd happily eat that.

The patty melt got me thinking about the tuna melt. Maybe it's on the tuna melt that I'm a stickler for American cheese?:

I think so but I'm not so sure any longer.
Old October 24th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

My favorite use for American cheese is in spam musubi.
Old October 24th, 2017, 08:50 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Tuna melt for dinner tonight:

Even cold it was tasty. Actually, I'm glad the sandwich was cold because it's roasting hot in LA tonight.
Old October 25th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Cesar Gomez

How's the glass?
Old October 25th, 2017, 02:34 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

That Blade Runner glass is my current favorite. I still drink wine out of my Riedels, but pretty much everything else gets consumed from the Blade Runner glasses. They're very big and heavy and feel great in the hand, and they're really fun to look at and drink from.

Each glass holds 375ml, so that's plenty big enough for soft drinks, mixers, or other cocktails. Ginger ale:

Note how there's a good amount of condensation around that glass, but the bottom is nice and dry. You almost don't need a coaster or cocktail napkin with this glass.

Negroni:

I've since started making the biggie chunks of clear ice, and they make the Blade Runner glass even better. The big chunk of ice in that Wild Turkey pic is about 2x2x2. It's a big chunk but it still fits in the glass.

While it's a double-sized rocks glass, the Blade Runner glass doesn't feel stupid if you're drinking something neat from it. Cognac:

It sounds corny, but you kinda feel like Deckard when drinking from this glass:

That's definitely part of the appeal of this glass. Anyone who denies that is lying.
Old October 25th, 2017, 02:46 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

This pic shows two of my "tasting" glasses:

We had a steak & cognac night at my place a few weeks ago and were playing around with different glasses as well as different cognacs. On the left with the long stem is a Riedel Veritas Spirit. Beside the Blade Runner glass is a Tribeca whiskey glass.

Both of these are great "tasting" glasses and really accentuate the bouquet of hard liquors without blowing you away with alcohol. They give you more expression/resolution/loudspeaker of liquors than the Blade Runners do. If you're into splitting hairs, these glasses are really good for that.

I have two of the Riedels and eight of the Tribecas, but they're not as much fun as the Blade Runners so they don't get used as much.
Old October 25th, 2017, 03:01 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Bourbon night with the Tribecas:

One of my shooting friends is really into bourbon and brought those Gucci bourbons over to my place for tasting with another shooting friend. The Tribecas were perfect for that.

A huge disadvantage of the Blade Runners is cost. They're about $80 each. Just one glass costs more than my eight Tribecas:

https://www.amazon.com/Godinger-Trib...=tribeca+glass

The Tribecas are glass and always look terrible. Look at the photo above and the Tribecas almost look as if they're covered with fingerprints even though they're clean. Once you get accustomed to looking at crystal, glass looks terrible. Even the camera doesn't like it.

The Blade Runners are lead crystal and handmade in Italy. No two glasses of Blade Runners are identical, and I have nine of them. These glasses are expensive enough and nice enough that you may not want to bust them out around clumsy guests who might toast hard and chip the glasses. Otherwise I highly recommend them.
Old October 25th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Kevin Howard

While I'm a fan of 101 not sure I'd need a glass as robust as the blade runner. Perhaps I'm too young and still drink too fast
Old October 25th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Chris von C
N0H4MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
This reminds me of how the artisanal bearded hipsters hate American cheese. These cheeseburgers are probably the pinnacle of cheeseburgers.
Theres a/was burger joint outside of Philly thats been making smashed burgers for as long as I can remember. I cant remember the name of the place, I dont even know if its around. It has to have been about 15-20 years I think since I last saw the place but these were my favorite. Next time I'm back up there I need to see if they are still there.
Old October 25th, 2017, 06:28 PM
Chris von C
N0H4MF

Quote:
$10 says there's a Texas plate on that thing.
Old October 25th, 2017, 07:16 PM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

What thing? I can't see anything, just a bunch of grass.