User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old November 27th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochung
I'd stick to 235/85-16 BFG MTs + 4.11 gears.

Jack, that Trek Outiftters bumper wasn't bad ass enough. Also the production wasn't really there. I think I still have the phone number of the guy that actually made the bumpers. He's somewhere in the Burbank area.

Just think if the top of the brush bar was lowered to the very top of the headlights. Then add thin horizontal bars like on the CT disco bumpers. Square off the winch tray and take the slopes out of it.

That could be a sweet bumper.
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Steve Rupp
KC9LHY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
-1.4 LT230 with ashcroft low-low range gearset and 3.54s at the diffs

I would love to have 3.54's back in my truck. The 4.11's are noticeably louder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
-Detroit rear with GBR HD axles
-TT front with GBR HD CVs and halfshafts

I like the detroit tt combo and i can do the same obstacles as with the ARB front, but in my dream truck I want dual ARBs. It would just be so nice to be on slickrock with the diff locked and open diffs.

John- I'm with ya on the factory flanges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
DC driveshafts

I've never wanted a dc in the rear. No need for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
-Redrilled swivel balls (and they're those sweet black teflon type ones because it's a '99)

I can't wait to get rid of my disco swivels. I hate that railco bush and the flat bearings on top. My dream truck has 89 rangie swivels on it. I haven't had the ABS fuse in for 4 years so I have no use for that gay upper swivel pin. I just need to find a place to coat them in teflon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
-Hydraulic bumpstops on the rear axle

Oh yeah. Thom and I put a set on his truck a while back. They're so nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
-keep the backseat in just for looks

I don't think my back seat will ever go back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
-XM satellite radio, factory stereo

Gotta have the Sirius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
-Marc Olivares wannabe folding cook table mounted to rear door along with knife magnet

So the Marc O table is EE approved??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
-10lb CO2

15lb. Gotta blow out the interior after picking up the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
-Disco2 headlights

Seriously?? That's like putting D2 flares on a D1. No thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
LR genuine work lamp

I can't believe I still don't have a work light on my truck. I felt left out at ICS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
-LR factory rear ladder with black grip tape on the rungs

All it took for me was one slip on a dewy morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
-Hella rubber cheapie spotting lamps x4

John- I'm not sure if the FF Ultra Beam will fit in the ideal spot on the D1

Sounds like a pretty sweet rig though. I know how you guys love the stock look and i dig it, but there's a few things i just wouldn't do without. I really like having a little offset on my wheels. The truck just feels so much more stable with them. I also really love the BFG A/T's. They don't look great, but i can drive all day long with silent and pretty damn good balanced wheels. As far as the bumpers go, there's just nothing like a RTE. I would like a diesel though.
Old November 27th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

You guys are all missing one key ingredient to the dream D1 recipe.

A Co -Pilot.
Old November 27th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanablur

A Co -Pilot.

Yeah thanks, buddy, but you sitting next to me isn't really a part of my dream truck.
Old November 27th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanablur

A Co -Pilot.

I hear ya. A good co-pilot makes all the difference. And just wait until you get a back seat driver!
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Driver:
-Wilderness EMT
-Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, Frontsight or equivalent rifle training
-Complete 300tdi, R380 and LT230 rebuild with field toolset
-Bill Burke OTR annually
-ARES
-back racing bikes again
-International Four wheel drive Instructors accreditation
-Continuing education photography classes at Cal Arts
-California CCW
-Airforce E&E instruction
-Army Ranger advanced Nav course

The amazing thing is that these are probably the easiest to accomplish and have the greatest impact.
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Aaron gets it.
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Daniel Long

While AF SERE training is an admirable goal, I think you'd be better off with an in depth civilian survival class. The escape, resistance, and evasion portions of SERE would be just about useless unless you are on the run from someone. The A/B courses focused on the ERE part, ensuring that you are free to move for the PJs to be able to retrieve you. The survival aspect was there, but long term survival was not the primary focus, something a civilian would need/want.

A more effective route might be the BOSS 28 day course or, if you want a "former SERE instructor's" guidance, one of Reggie Bennett's Mountain Shepherd courses. If you choose one of the BOSS courses just make sure you hydrate, I'm sure they don't want another student dying on them.

Likewise, while I'll never go through Ranger School, I'd imagine a large portion of their navigation training deals with their specific gear, along with traditional methods applied to the military grid system. Great experience, but probably not the most ideal in that they are not specialized to what you would need.
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Daniel doesn't.
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Daniel Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Daniel doesn't.

Probably, but isn't the point of this little thought exercise to have everything you need and nothing you don't?

SERE would go against that, much of what you don't need and little of what you would.
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

I have to agree with Danny on this.

This raises an interesting point or topic to discuss. While I agree for the most part on all other points, these I do not. For lack of a better term I will use overlanding as what it is we do with our trucks. It is our lifestyle in a sense, whether it be to get to a hiking/biking trailhead, run a 4x4 trail, fish a mountain lake or just pitch a tent
and enjoy food at the end of a dirt road with a nice view. Like mountaineering, hunting, fishing or any number of sporting activities; there are many different styles.

Escape and Evasion, Advanced Nav... I will not pretend to be an expert on what those teach, although my understanding is that they instruct someone to survive until they are found. Please correct me if I am wrong. That is one style of survival.

Life being what it is and while it would be fantastic to be trained in all the different disciplines, the type of survival training I would be interested in, is the type that teaches you how to live long after they have given up the search. How to make tools, shelter and clothing when you have none, locate edible and medicinal plants and efficiently process an animal. All traditional wilderness skills that can leave modern technology behind.

Just ask Rupp how much he learned from David Holliday (he's the guy that took Bear Grylis into the desert and taught at BOSS for 25 years) in just a few hours standing around a campfire at my wedding.

BOSS is a great school, I am friends with several instructors there and have spent many days in the field with them. It is a different style for sure when you come to realize your truck and all the weight you carry on your back is more of a handicap than a help.

Like mountaineerings light and fast this to me is the purest style of survival.
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
-Yaesu 857 with full antenna forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Driver:
-Wilderness EMT
-Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, Frontsight or equivalent rifle training
-Complete 300tdi, R380 and LT230 rebuild with field toolset
-Bill Burke OTR annually
-ARES
-back racing bikes again
-International Four wheel drive Instructors accreditation
-Continuing education photography classes at Cal Arts
-California CCW
-Airforce E&E instruction
-Army Ranger advanced Nav course

You need to add:

-General or Amateur Extra license
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:49 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Extra.
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydisco
While AF SERE training is an admirable goal, I think you'd be better off with an in depth civilian survival class. The escape, resistance, and evasion portions of SERE would be just about useless unless you are on the run from someone.

Likewise, while I'll never go through Ranger School, I'd imagine a large portion of their navigation training deals with their specific gear, along with traditional methods applied to the military grid system. Great experience, but probably not the most ideal in that they are not specialized to what you would need.

You never know when E&E AND survival skills may be needed.

I have to admit, I have divided feelings about GPS use. I am much more of a compass-and-map person but I certainly like the ease and alleged accuracy(?) of GPS use.

I'd read about the LRDG sun compass but it wasn't until the Tom Sheppard article in Overland Journal that I actually saw a picture.

Now I want one.
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Why not the AF SERE and BOSS??

They each have a slightly different focus? Then both would be good.

I think Jack's point is that we all spend a bunch of time preparing our vehicles and that that we must also be prepared ourselves.
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

I had a list of plans for the D1, but for now, everything is on hold. This truck is too perfect to make even a slight miscalculation. I want to own this D1 for at least a decade...

I am going to spent December and January starting the research and specification process. Jack and John, you have both brought up a few great ideas.

December will be spent doing a full PM on the vehicle and addressing a few minor issues, including the distributor and rear window regulators/rollers. I have a set of the machined metal ones from Falconworks in Tucson. Other than that, the truck is genuinely flawless, not even a drop of oil on my driveway in a month.

The order for the first segment of modifications will be:

All FSM's. I like the manuals on disk EE sells
Factory Floor Mats (All)
Factory Seat Covers or SandStorm Seat Covers. I cannot find factory front covers in tan. Ideas?
Change all fluids, add PS cooler
Radio- FT-857d, faceplate mounted to roof console, or in center console. Open to other ideas.
iPod integration. No clear solution here yet. Will keep factory radio.
GPS with navigation, discretely mounted. No laptop mount for this vehicle.
Vehicle specific recovery kit
Vehicle specific ditch bag
Flashlights, gloves, headlamps and fire ext., all mounted and discrete.

I just secured the leather and canvas series of the SandStorm luggage.

I need a new gun slip now too. The Galco canvas and leather is currently my top choice.

After the above, I am not clear on the specifics, though the general direction will be moderate and lightweight. Most needed is a suspension change (the factory shocks are tired) to accommodate the anticipated load. Less than 2" overall, hopefully closer to 1.25" increase in ride height. Tires will likely be an all-terrain 235/85 R16 on the LR steel wheels (tubeless). I am undecided on leaving them black or powdercoating them white. They are already in the garage, along with the OME suspension system and shocks. Drivetrain will be fitted with GBR upgrades and one or two ARB lockers, as they have proven through the years to be the most effective for my needs and driving style (and the fact that I live where it snows).

I will most likely not fit a roof rack (I am not a fan of racks)

One of my biggest questions is the front bumper. I am not too excited by the current offerings.

The truck will eventually receive a 300TDI conversion.

I am really looking forward to the build. We are going to feature the progress in Overland Journal.
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

oh, and I completely agree with the M8, D-LUX 3 combo. I have the D-LUX, and now just need it's bigger (and so much sweeter) brother.

I need to buy an new body soon anyways, so the leap is certainly tempting. The challenge is that all of my lenses are Canon L, and the team shares unique focal lengths to save money on redundancy and allow a wider range of options. The departure to the Leica glass would be significantly more costly than the body alone (which is about the same as the Canon I am considering).

Maybe the entire team should make the switch?
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Blueboy

Quote:
Factory Seat Covers or SandStorm Seat Covers. I cannot find factory front covers in tan. Ideas?

Have you checked with Rovers North?

They show beige LR Waterproofs available for the rear bench on a D1which could mean they might also have a frt set as well.

Unfortunately I sold my D1 set when I left Japan or I would have them for you in beige.

Jaime
Old November 28th, 2007, 02:08 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionswest

If you want a set, I'm sure they're still available. I say go Genuine Parts on the seat covers. They're really nice.

Quote:
Radio- FT-857d, faceplate mounted to roof console, or in center console. Open to other ideas.

857 is a very sweet radio. In function it's almost identical to that of the 706. My bias toward the 706 is is I like the 706's looks better.

857:

706:

Both are superb. You really can't go wrong with either.

Quote:
iPod integration. No clear solution here yet. Will keep factory radio.

There's that JL Audio CleanSweep:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?prod_id=369

I think it requires an amp and upgraded spreakers to get the full effect, but our JL Audio rep assures me the sound is superb in every way.

Quote:
I need a new gun slip now too. The Galco canvas and leather is currently my top choice.

I ordered a canvas/leather Galco slip for David Shechter. I think it's very nice.

Quote:
One of my biggest questions is the front bumper. I am not too excited by the current offerings.

My dream Disco1 would have the factory winch tray. Love it.
Old November 28th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Rob Davison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
You need to add:

-General or Amateur Extra license

How about a PLB too?

Old November 28th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
If you want a set, I'm sure they're still available. I say go Genuine Parts on the seat covers. They're really nice.

I have factory seat covers on my Defender. I prefer to sit on the covers because i don't seem to sweat as much, but i don't like the fact that i can't access my seat pockets. I like to keep a thin folded tarp in the passenger seat pocket, and a few pairs of disposable nitrile gloves in the driver's seat pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
My dream Disco1 would have the factory winch tray. Love it.

Agreed, nothing even comes close.
Old November 28th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

Sorry guys, not feeling the factory winch tray love...

But, I can say that they are pretty though, as I watched a couple drive an 03 Disco into a ditch during the Nevada Trophy with such force that it left a foot deep impression of the winch tray on the opposite side and slid the SD rack forward (cutting through the rain gutter) about 2 feet over the hood. No visible damage to the winch tray.
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Sorry guys, not feeling the factory winch tray love...

Like that roasted malt you poured for me, the factory winch tray is an acquired taste.

You'll come to love it - give it time.

Old November 30th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Nice phots Bruno!

I can't wait for the low rack!

Are those Hella 4000 Compacts?

Last edited by traveltoad : November 30th, 2007 at 07:56 AM.
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Bruno Tome
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
Nice phots Bruno!

Thank you Aaron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
Are those Hella 4000 Compacts?

Yes, they are.