Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old January 6th, 2008, 06:33 AM
KI4WWU

DII as Camper

I'm going camping next weekend and will attempt to just use the back of the DII to sleep in. One night, in the cold, and I just don't want to fool with the whole Cabela's Alaskan Guide tent routine.

I'm 6'2" so need as much room as possible. If I take out the back seats in the DII, will the dip in the floor (for rear passengers' feet) still reduce my useable flat sleeping space? In other words, won't just rolling the rear seats forward yield the same space to sleep?

Also, how difficult is it to remove the back seats?

-Ron

Old January 6th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

If the rear seats are folded forward.... no way. If they are out... maybe you will have room.
Old January 6th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Rob Davison

I've done this a few ways in a disco 1.

With the back of the back seats flipped down onto the sitting surface you can place a pelican 1650 behind the seat making in the disco 1 nearly a level surface. I then placed a recovery gear bag and a pelican 14xx box in the remaining space, pushed the front passenger seat up as far as it would go and slept caddy corner, head at passenger sear - feet near license plate on door. With a therm-o-rest on top of this it was pretty good, but you need to have the room in the back.

The second and my much preferred car camping cheat is to recline the front passenger seat as far back as it will go and throw a pillow in the lumbar area and cut some zz'z till the break of dawn.

Also FYI if you don't know this you should crack the windows about a 1/4" to prevent the car from getting all dewy on the inside.

Old January 6th, 2008, 12:19 PM
KI4WWU

Hmmm, looks like the rear seats dont want to come out easily.

I may pack a small tent and air mattress afterall.

Edit...

Seats come out with four torx bit bolts, but still not enough room. Wish I still had the 110....

Old January 6th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Scott Kirn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronward
Seats come out with four torx bit bolts, but still not enough room. Wish I still had the 110....

...or a P38. I remove the rear 3/4 seat, leaving the 1/4 seat for my 4 year old. When we sleep, he can fit behind the 1/4 seat when it is folded up, and I can stretch out on the 3/4 side with my head behind the passenger seat that is moved all the way forward. I had to build a wood extension to fill the passenger foot space, but it works great.

The only problem with sleeping in the back is you need to keep unpacking and re-packing your truck. That is, if you don't own a roof rack.
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:08 AM
KI4WWU

Right on. With the 110 I could roll the second row seats forward, and have plenty of room. The tub is such that a standard width sleeping pad fits in there nicely. Althought the smell of diesel can be overwhelming, it was a nice place to camp.

Old January 7th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronward
Right on. With the 110 I could roll the second row seats forward, and have plenty of room. The tub is such that a standard width sleeping pad fits in there nicely. Althought the smell of diesel can be overwhelming, it was a nice place to camp.

Roomie with one.

And you can just squeeze two.

Old January 7th, 2008, 11:26 AM
KI4WWU

Yeah, Jack. And that's with your 3-door's fixed bulkhead in place. Nice and roomy....