Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 20th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

In the news tonight:

http://ksnt.com/2017/06/20/k-state-p...book_KSNT_News

Quote:
My child’s safety is one of the very most things that’s important to me especially in choosing a childcare facility.

This is what I'm up against.
Old June 21st, 2017, 04:20 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Is there no other daycare in the area?
Old June 21st, 2017, 08:40 AM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is what I'm up against.

She sounds like a real genius.

“So, I think it’s wonderful to know that they’re in a safe environment during the day when I can’t be with them.”

“I definitely think it’s something that all pre-schools should consider,” Pennington said. “I think, based on the faculty and staff that are there and the needs of the kids that are there in that facility.”

She thinks what? This chick would be pacified by a Gun Free Zone sign. So, I think it's wonderful based on the faculty and staff signs for the kids are safe and gun free, and stuff.

Old June 21st, 2017, 10:53 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I watched that video and Erin Pennington didn't strike me as a parent. She feels more like a liberal agent. She says all the right things and what she says feels a little too on point and rehearsed. She even recommends that other schools follow suit.

Even if she's not a liberal agent, she's a parent who was coached.
Old June 24th, 2017, 11:53 AM
KI4WWU

Anyone know why reporter Jared Thompson is wearing a tuxedo?

Old June 24th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Ryan Loehr

One issue--an issue that isn't really dispositive of anything, but it has a lot of people, both Democrats and Republicans, a bit skiddish regarding where people can carry guns--is that, as of July 2015, Kansas no longer requires any sort of permit to conceal carry. A lot of people from the entire political spectrum who have never contemplated concealed carry before are still coming to terms with that, rightly or wrongly.

I'm not sure about Pennington, but KSU, and Manhattan in general, is a fairly conservative populous. It's a lot of country kids from nearby small towns who wind there.

Even so, the majority of Democrats in Kansas are pro a broadly-interpreted 2nd Amendment--if they didn't grow up hunting, they knew lots of people who did.
Old June 25th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Kevin Price KJ6NII

Other less hoplophobic school principals permit and even encourage CCW parents to carry in schools.

True story.
Old June 25th, 2017, 12:16 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Ryan, when was the last time you were in Manhattan? This place feels as liberal as any college town. 2A rights are not popular on this campus. They might be more popular here than, say, UC Berkeley, but the university does not feel like a conservative bastion.

Erin Pennington is representative of the average mom at our childcare facility. I've asked several parents of our boys' friends what they thought about the new policy and they really liked it. They genuinely believe that it will make it more safe for their kids.
Old June 25th, 2017, 01:28 PM
Ryan Loehr

Quote:
Ryan, when was the last time you were in Manhattan? This place feels as liberal as any college town. 2A rights are not popular on this campus. They might be more popular here than, say, UC Berkeley, but the university does not feel like a conservative bastion.

Erin Pennington is representative of the average mom at our childcare facility. I've asked several parents of our boys' friends what they thought about the new policy and they really liked it. They genuinely believe that it will make it more safe for their kids.

I did not go to K State but the people I know my age who did are mostly conservative--maybe it's shifted since then. Manhattan--small town that it is--has grown quite a bit over the last 10 years. I had thought it was farmers selling their land and retiring in a college town. Maybe not.

The liberal college in Kansas has historically been KU.
Old June 25th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Kevin Price KJ6NII

Quote:

That's because they believe that anyone who carries a gun (police excepted, maybe, maybe not) is a hair's-breadth away from going off the rails. Why? Because they actually distrust themselves with great responsibility. They know that they are prone to road rage, even at the school dropoff. They call 911 when their neighbor has a party, and freak out if someone is smoking tobacco near them. They become irrationally angry at the minor transgressions of others, even if they are unaffected by them.

The idea that someone would be capable of calm, rational and deliberative thought, would have control of their emotions, and wouldn't completely overreact in an adversarial situation, is foreign to them. The idea that anyone could carry a gun without firing it, intentionally or accidentally, shooting them self or someone else, is preposterous. Guns go off, you know.

While they don't trust themselves, paradoxically they have an incredibly high self-opinion. They figure that if they are untrustworthy, then obviously everyone is untrustworthy. Because they doubt their own capability to handle a gun safely, they doubt everyone's.

They aren't afraid of people carrying guns, they are afraid of themselves. It's projection of their own fears and self-loathing onto others that feeds this nonsense.
Old June 26th, 2017, 12:11 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Quote:

I googled her name and "Kansas" got her Linkedin profile:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/erin-pennington-35655337

Her title:

Quote:
Public Relations and Communications

This KSU page also came up:

http://www.k-state.edu/vpcm/staff/

Quote:
Division of Communications and Marketing

She's in the "marketing" department.
Old June 26th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Wow. Nice find.

This smells strongly of Astroturf.
Old June 26th, 2017, 02:25 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I knew she was a pro. She was too good and said all of the right things.
Old July 25th, 2017, 11:32 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Old July 25th, 2017, 11:36 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Stu beat me to it-

Unfortunately I don't think this will help us in CA unless it goes to SCOTUS.
Old July 25th, 2017, 01:01 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I think Wrenn helps us in California. It certainly doesn't hurt us. At a minimum, it's another voice out there against the Circuits that ruled against right-to-carry.

Wrenn even explicitly talks shit about Peruta:

Quote:
Finally, the Third Circuit relied on the reasoning of the Second and Fourth Circuits for its decision to submit good reason laws to intermediate scrutiny. See Drake v. Filko, 724 F.3d 426, 430 (3d Cir. 2013). The only other circuit to address the issue, the Ninth, reasoned that a good-reason limit on concealed carry must be lawful since outright bans on concealed carry have been upheld. 5 Relying on this whole includes-its-parts reasoning, the Ninth Circuit expressly sidestepped our question of “whether the [Amendment] protects some ability to carry firearms in public, such as open carry.” Peruta v. Cty. of San Diego, 824 F.3d 919, 927 (9th Cir. 2016) (en banc).

Peruta ruled that the Second Amendment does not protect concealed carry. In a way, this is a correct reading of the Second Amendment because concealed carry was never protected under Common Law, founding era law, or 19th Century law. When deciding if concealed carry should be allowed in California, the Ninth Circuit "sidestepped" the fact that open carry is also banned in California and simply ruled that the Second Amendment does not protect concealed carry. Wrenn points this out and discredits Peruta.

Quote:
We do not agree with the Ninth Circuit that a ban on concealed carry can be assessed in isolation from the rest of a jurisdiction’s gun regulations. As we’ve noted, text and history and precedent urge that the Second Amendment requires governments to leave responsible citizens ample means for self-defense at home and outside. So a regulation’s validity may turn partly on whether surrounding laws leave ample options for keeping and carrying.

That doesn't mean Peruta is going to be overturned, but it does put Peruta in a light such that other Circuits would be less likely to follow Peruta.

Another reason I like Wrenn is it categorically overturns bans instead of undergoing some tortured and labored scurtiny analysis. In this case, it was a ban on carry. Heller dealt with a ban on handguns. I like this approach and look forward to the overturning other gun bans.
Old July 25th, 2017, 01:10 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Wrenn is a pretty funny case.

I like the way the opinion opens:

Quote:
Constitutional challenges to gun laws create peculiar puzzles for courts. In other areas, after all, a law’s validity might turn on the value of its goals and the efficiency of its means. But gun laws almost always aim at the most compelling goal—saving lives—while evidence of their effects is almost always deeply contested. On top of that, the Supreme Court has offered little guidance. Its “first in-depth examination of the Second Amendment” is younger than the first iPhone.

This is good too:

Quote:
Whatever the right to carry might cover, the District contends, it does not protect carrying in densely populated or urban areas like Washington, D.C. That is because the English right to bear arms had for centuries been fenced in by the Statute of Northampton, a law that banned carrying firearms in crowded areas. Indeed, Northampton-like laws had migrated to some colonies by the late 1700s, and then to several states in the mid-to-late 1800s. Thus, the District argues, the preexisting right codified by the Second Amendment did not (or did not at its core2) cover carrying in densely populated areas like D.C.

That argument pulls us—and both parties and several scholars—into dense historical weeds. The original Northampton statute took effect in 1328. Its language will faintly remind Anglophiles of studying Canterbury Tales—in the original. The rest of us may rest assured that the details of the text will matter less here than they did in English Lit:
[i]t is enacted, that no man . . . of what condition soever he be, except the king’s servants in his presence, and his ministers . . . and such as be in their company assisting them, and also [upon a cry made for arms to keep the peace, and the same in such places where such acts happen,] be so hardy to come before the King’s justices, or other of the King’s ministers doing their office, with force and arms, nor bring no force in affray of the peace, nor to go nor ride armed by night nor by day, in fairs, markets, nor in the presence of the justices or other ministers, nor in no part elsewhere, upon pain to forfeit their armour to the King, and their bodies to prison at the King’s pleasure.

This shit-talking of the Second Circuit is gold:

Quote:
The Second Circuit also finds that carrying outside the home matters less based on analogies to other individual rights. Thus, it asks: if our law “[t]reat[s] the home as special” when it comes to sexual privacy rights, why not when enforcing the right to use a gun? Kachalsky, 701 F.3d at 94. But of course, sex is different. In Judge Posner’s wry understatement, “the interest in having sex inside one’s home is much greater than the interest in having sex on the sidewalk in front of one’s home,” while the need to fend off violence might arise on sidewalks and in bedrooms alike. Moore v. Madigan, 702 F.3d 933, 941 (7th Cir. 2012).
Old July 25th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

I'm certain that Wrenn provides additional "ammunition" against Ninth's rulings and many of the laws here in CA that actively seek to limit if not ban 2A protections.

But that doesn't stop the seriously activist legislators who truly hate the 2A and will write new, nonsensical laws even though they know they are unconstitutional.

Who can forget this gem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
Old July 26th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Kevin Price KJ6NII

If I have the chronology right, when Peruta was filed, unloaded open carry was still legal in CA. Part of the State's argument was, "you don't need concealed carry: if you want to carry a gun, you can always carry openly." Then they outlawed open carry, and had to abandon the argument on appeal.
Old July 26th, 2017, 09:30 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I can't remember the exact chronology either. But one thing I do remember is that we never challenged the unloaded open carry either (asking for loaded open carry). Rather, we always went for concealed carry instead.

For reasons I can understand, the Alan Guras, Paul Clements, Cato Institute, Second Amendment Foundation, NRA, and so on have always fought for concealed carry rather than open carry. Their "I have to right to concealed carry because open carry is illegal in this state" argument worked in the 7th Circuit. But it didn't fly in the 9th Circuit.
Old July 26th, 2017, 02:55 PM
Kevin Price KJ6NII

I like their strategy. Open carry is for activists and gun store owners. Concealed is for normal people who just want to go about their business. Unless you're in uniform, open carry scares people. Concealed carry doesn't.