Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 8th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Jonathan Hanson

Eastnor Castle and Land Rover training

Roseann and I just returned from England, where we had several appointments with people from Land Rover. The highlight of the trip was a visit to Eastnor Castle and the Land Rover Malverns training facility, where we experienced a two-day driving course developed for the Royal Geographical Society. We had the benefit of one of their lead instructors, an expert driver and superb teacher who also just happened to be an extremely pretty brunette named Sarah.

. . . and, yes, a brand new Defender 110 with the Ford-derived turbodiesel.

The whole story will appear soon in Overland Journal, along with other stories on the Heritage Center museum, where Land Rovers from day one are displayed, a visit with Tom Sheppard, and another with Lois Pryce. Plus a feature on Foley's vehicle preparation service, who can lease you a fully insured and carneted Defender 110 for a trip through Africa, at the end of which you simply drop it off in Cape Town and fly home. We also stopped by Frog's Island, another high-quality vehicle preparation business.
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

damn!

Old March 8th, 2008, 05:00 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Check you out. You're all Barboured out. Nice.

Sarah Sensei is hot.
Old March 9th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Jonathan Hanson

I believe I have the only Hunter wellies that have been in the North Sea, the Beaufort Sea, the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, and the Sea of Cortez.

And possibly the only Barbour with mesquite scratches.
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH

And possibly the only Barbour with mesquite scratches.

Not quite.
Old March 10th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Jonathan Hanson

Excellent. I see an opportunity for a secret society.
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Your wellie club is going to be much more exclusive.

My Le Chameaus have only seen California lakes and farms with some Boston and Philadelphia urban weather before that.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Roseann

And I would have been the only member of the club in North America with zebra-striped wellies, except Jonathan threatened to leave me stranded in Hastings if I had actually bought them . . . I had to make-do with my 15-year-old Hunters, not quite as well-travelled as Jonathan's, though.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Jonathan Hanson

The Le Chameau Chasseurs are on my short list. Exquisite. Which do you have, Jack?

Zebra-striped "wellies" are not allowed in the club, period. I don't care where they've been.
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH
The Le Chameau Chasseurs are on my short list. Exquisite. Which do you have, Jack?

Zebra-striped "wellies" are not allowed in the club, period. I don't care where they've been.

Tom Kimura sports the neoprene-lined Chasseurs:

I have a pair of the simpler St-Hubert style Le Chameaus:

http://www.lechameau.fr/index.php?id=2623

I've had my wellies for quite some time. I believe I bought them at the Greenbrier when I bought my Barbour Beaufort. For a long time the Le Chameaus were just stylish rain gear for the Northeast, but since taking up waterfowling they have proven themselves in the field.

Tom scored us Le Chameau ventilated boot bags for our wellies:

At first we had to laugh at ourselves a bit because this seemed so over the top but they have proven to be very convenient. When we get back to the truck and our boots are all mucked up we simply put them in their bags and toss them in the back without worrying about getting mud and clay all over the interior. When we get home and clean our boots we just hose out the waterproof bags. Very easy.

My two favorite wellies are the Le Chameau leather-lined Chasseur and the Hunter Sovereign with Vibram sole:

They may look similar to the wellie novice but these are two very different boots. To me the Chasseur is the pinnacle of field luxury. Incredibly shaped and very comfortable. Perfect for a driven shoot and lunching at the estate. The Sovereigns are the toughest wellies I have ever seen. They are capable of abuse I would only think a leather boot could handle. Just the thing for rough shooting grouse in Scotland. Both of these boots also have good applications here in North America as Jonathan and I have experienced. I like the Le Chameau for easy duck hunting and the Hunters are well suited to farm field upland.

Zebra wellies eh?
I bought my sister a pair of orange Burberry wellies with a Burberry tartan liner along with matching orange and yellow mittens and Burberry scarf. I thought this was a pretty extreme take on the wellie, but it couldn't touch zebra.

Women in wellies are totally hot.

And I love the wellipets for kids:

Old March 13th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Jonathan Hanson

Thanks, Jack.

If I'm going to upgrade my Hunters I'm going for the leather lined option for sure. The Le Chameau version seems to be about $100 less than the Hunter version.

I guess I'd be pushing it to do a premium rubber boot comparison test in OJ . . .
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Steve Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ

Women in wellies are totally hot.

Nice
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:01 AM
KI4WWU

Anyone recommend an on-line source for the Hunter? My local outfitters carry the Le Chameau but not the Sovereign.

Old March 18th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Old March 18th, 2008, 06:50 PM
KI4WWU

I'm liking the Hunter's. But I wouldn't want to traipse around a shallow duck pond's edge thick with reeds that puncture neoprene chest-waders routinely in a $480 pair of boots.

Anyone have experience with the Sovereign? Real world stuff? How's that compare to say the Hunter Classic?

Interesting discussion already. I'm in the market for a new pair of wellies...

Old March 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Jonathan Hanson

My standard Hunter wellies have shrugged off more abuse than I would have thought possible for almost 15 years. I wore them guiding sea kayak trips in the Sea of Cortez, and used them more than I should for shore hikes scouting for campsites and such. The natural rubber Hunter uses is amazing stuff. I suspect the Sovereigns would be nearly indestructible.
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Nadir_E

Jonathan - I took several sea kayaking classes at UCLA's facility in Marina del Rey last year (hope to take the last one this year along with the eskimo roll clinic). Have been thinking about a trip to kayak, surf, and wheel in Baja later this year. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on some good places in Mexico where these pursuits might find confluence.

Feel free to contact me off the board if you prefer - nadir dot elfarra at sbcglobal dot net.

thanks
-n

PS - the nicest pair of boots I own are Hanwags - only had 'em a year so far, so can't really give a full testimonial at this point.
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Won Park

Found the Barbour in Paris, today.

I scored a nice computer bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a_R0011916.JPG (212.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg a_R0011991.JPG (199.0 KB, 33 views)
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Jonathan Hanson

All this waxed cotton and wellie talk led me to choose a suitable subject for the next Classic Kit. I found some interesting stuff.
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Ryan Tolentino

Quote:
Originally Posted by parantaeyang
Found the Barbour in Paris, today.

I scored a nice computer bag.
nice...
Old April 5th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Todd Miller

Wellies

Ron- The London Trading Co. in Atlanta (Buckhead) sells Hunter, Le Chameau, Musto, and Leather Dubarrys from Ireland. She can also get Barbour boots. She has a UK Barbour acct. so has access to the shoes and boots.
She stocks a lot of English outdoor clothing. Worth a stop next time you are in Atl. Stop by LR Buckhead and I will go with you.

TM
Old April 5th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi
Ron- The London Trading Co. in Atlanta (Buckhead) sells Hunter, Le Chameau, Musto, and Leather Dubarrys from Ireland. She can also get Barbour boots. She has a UK Barbour acct. so has access to the shoes and boots.
She stocks a lot of English outdoor clothing. Worth a stop next time you are in Atl. Stop by LR Buckhead and I will go with you.

TM

LOL.

"The London Trading Co."

We've already talked about them.
Old April 6th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Chris Whybrew

I saw this magazine in the New Orleans airport last week. Looks interesting, perhaps amusing.

http://www.gardenandgun.com/

Here is an article that somewhat relates to the London Trading Company comments...see the pictures.

http://www.gardenandgun.com/stories/...l_country-80#1

Old April 6th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Won Park

so... how do you maintain and clean the waxed cotton stuff?
Old April 6th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Jonathan Hanson

Just wipe it down. My Bedale is over 14 years old and just now - well, maybe in the last couple years - really due for some reproofing. I need to order a tin as I can't find the one that came with it.

I think Barbour still has their refurbishment service for really tatty jackets.