User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:16 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
That's a drop bag for partially expended magazines and loose rounds.

It's the same one I recommended might work for you for loose shotshells at Gunsite. I think you're sporting it in this pic:

Yes you did... and yes it worked really well. Thank you for the recommendation. I asked because it's placement on your vest. I couldn't tell if it was forward to be more accessible for another use.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:50 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
Yes you did... and yes it worked really well. Thank you for the recommendation. I asked because it's placement on your vest. I couldn't tell if it was forward to be more accessible for another use.

I tried putting it in the back and I couldn't reach it.
If I put it on the pistol belt then I can but if it's on the back of the vest it's too high and out of the way. I wanted the vest to have all the carbine stuff on it, without needing the pistol belt.

Having it on the side of the vest actually worked out ok. It obstructs the pistol magazines a bit, but not enough to be a problem.

Old June 4th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Matt Taylor

I came across this video, and I know there's a joke here, but I can't put my finger on it. Something about excess, maybe? Whatever, it makes me chuckle:

Fat Guy With a Little Gun - Watch more free videos
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I am at a complete loss for words:

Old June 6th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

The sequel:

Old June 7th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

I tried to come up with a response but I realized that I am 13 times... or was it 14 times... more likely to survive this thread if I just throw it aside.
Old June 7th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
I tried to come up with a response but I realized that I am 13 times... or was it 14 times... more likely to survive this thread if I just throw it aside.

I liked this youtube video response:

and the sequel:

Old June 7th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Yeah.... need to practice the shoot 'n scoot.
Old June 7th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

I'm digging this uniform...

Old June 7th, 2008, 01:41 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

This would go nicely with that outfit:

Old June 7th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Chris Whybrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
I tried putting it in the back and I couldn't reach it.
If I put it on the pistol belt then I can but if it's on the back of the vest it's too high and out of the way. I wanted the vest to have all the carbine stuff on it, without needing the pistol belt.

Having it on the side of the vest actually worked out ok. It obstructs the pistol magazines a bit, but not enough to be a problem.

I am curious why you and Tom were wearing "flak" jackets? Richochets, other target shooters behind other hills??

Old June 7th, 2008, 05:01 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

These guys are crazy:

Old June 11th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Kevin Buckley

So GI JACK, is there anything more wannabe than some white collar guy running around the desert doing 2 gun combat drills in a flak jacket and taking pictures of it? Apparently you are now cosmically channeling Jeff Cooper and know all things about firearms after 1 course.

As for me going hunting in africa being "lame ass", why don't you tell me about your extensive hunting experience so I can feel jealous?

Please do also tell me all about your handloading experience, how many calibers you load for, what wildcats, your bullet casting experience, your competition experience, what competitions you have won, etc? What rifles and pistols have you built personally or commisioned from custom gunsmiths?

As for my bread van powered series truck, please enlighten us all on how much better english engines are than japanese. God knows those toyota hilux's suck.

Or ignore me and be the petulant child that you are.
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

What? No more love letters?
Old June 12th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

What about sights on your pistols? I busted my ass a while back crossing a creek and broke the rear sight on my Glock 19. I was able to get it back on and it's been okay, but I'd like to go ahead and replace the broken sight.

Local law enforcement uses Trijicon sights. They look all fine and good to me, but I've never fired a gun with them. They worth it? Anything recommended over the Trijicon for the Glock?
Old June 13th, 2008, 03:56 AM
KI4WWU

How do you like the Glock 19? I'm considering the 9mm G19 and have fired it several times at the range. I like the feel and action, and I hear long-term test reports are very good. My other 9mm options are the SIG P226 (I have a P229 .40) and the H&K USP. Would like your thoughts on the 19.

Old June 13th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Mine has been great.
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Honestly, I'm the wrong person to ask, Ron. I've never been the type to compare what I like and do not like on guns. I just know that some guns I do not like as well as others. I've never sat down and tried to understand why or why not.

With that said, I like my Glock. When I purchased the Glock, I did not window shop or compare other models, etc.. I did not even shoot the Glock before I bought it. I just saw it for sale (on a Rover site) at what I thought was a good price (300.00) and took it.

My neighbor has the Glock 17 with a fatter grip. I kind of liked the fat grip. But I've never shot my Glock enough to worry about buying one for myself. We shoot about once every 1.5 months now. We'll blow up 100 rounds and call it a day. So my experience with the Glock is limited, but it shoots well for me.

I have shot the Glock 21 in a 45. That was too much gun just to shoot for fun, for me. I liked the 19 much more.

If you want to know more about the Glock 19, these other guys can probably tell you. I don't know shit about it. I just like to shoot it.
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Nadir Elfarra
KN6ELF

Jack / John - how many spare magazines did you take to Front Sight? Did that number prove adequate for the drills they ran you through?

Is there anything, equipment-wise, that you would do differently if you were going to take the same class(es) again?

-n
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:02 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

I took four M8 magazines I think. I ended up using all of them because I tried to top up between drills.
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Bill Gill, aka chump hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
What about sights on your pistols? I busted my ass a while back crossing a creek and broke the rear sight on my Glock 19. I was able to get it back on and it's been okay, but I'd like to go ahead and replace the broken sight.

Local law enforcement uses Trijicon sights. They look all fine and good to me, but I've never fired a gun with them. They worth it? Anything recommended over the Trijicon for the Glock?

I have Trijicon tritium sites on my HK USP. Put them on in '94 and one of the rear dots (orange) expired a couple years ago. The other orange rear dot and the front site green dot are glowing strong but I was a bit disappointed that the rear burned out. Although I guess it did glow for 11 or 12 years which is pretty good....I think Trijicon says life expectancy is 20 years.

The orange/green dot arrangement makes acquiring the front site pretty easy but I think I might try to find a dot/bar arrangement next since my eyes aren't what they used to be.

The rear "U" and front bar arrangement on the stock Glock 19 is pretty sweet. Looks like Trijicon only has a green dot/dot arrangement though for $118:

http://www.trijicongunsights.com/ite..._3-Dot_Ni.aspx

Here's another site with Trijicons for $85:
http://www.mountingsolution.com/miva...t_code=TJ-GL01

Old June 17th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir_E
Jack / John - how many spare magazines did you take to Front Sight? Did that number prove adequate for the drills they ran you through?

Is there anything, equipment-wise, that you would do differently if you were going to take the same class(es) again?

-n

I brought 6 magazines.
I think you could get by with three, but in our particular case someone left the class early creating an odd number of students, and tom, john and I swiftly arranged ourselves in a three man triangle so we could shoot more and have one person student coach both shooters. This worked out really well with rotating coaches and more shooting. It also meant we were scrambling to stay topped up. That's where 6 magazines was nice.

I think the equipment you bring is specific to what you use and carry. Try to keep it realistic and relevant. I think it's easy to get too "tactical"ed-out for a basic defensive pistol course. I know it is for me.

Definitely dress for variable weather. Almost all the major schools are places where it can be very cold or very hot. You're outside almost all day. Dress accordingly.
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I'm not Todd Jarrett fan, but here's a breakdown of re-load techniques at speed:

Peep the bobbed hammer on the 1911.
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:36 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I'm doing my best to keep up the practice post Front Sight.
I make sure to dry practice daily using various pistols and long guns and I shoot a match each week.

On sunday I competed in my first sanctioned IDPA match. IDPA has only been around since 1996 and it's sort of a response to the ridiculous evolution of IPSC. The founders of IDPA felt that IPSC, having no limitations on equipment or technique, had gone beyond the realms of the real world and was merely a "game" or "race". Even Jeff Cooper, the first president of IPSC bailed on it. Although the intention was that a free format would allow the best combat gear and technique to prevail the result was quite the opposite. IPSC competitors shoot highly modified guns in a manner which has no place in the real world. The IDPA decided it needed rules to keep things grounded. In addition to requiring pistols to be very close to stock, IDPA rules require them to be concealed. Holsters are also regulated. Furthermore in addition to scoring the accuracy of hits shooters must comply with strict rules or they are subject to the penalties listed here:

Procedural Penalty
A procedural penalty is a 3-second penalty given out for breaking the rules of IDPA or failing to follow the directions of a course of fire.

Procedurals assessed by the safety officer for:
Failure to use cover
Loading your gun with the wrong number of rounds (too many or too few as a means of "gaming the stage" to gain an unfair advantage over other competitors)
Shooting targets in the wrong order
Failure to follow the directions for the stage
Leaving ammunition behind after performing a tactical reload (reload with retention)

Failure to Neutralize
A failure to neutralize is a 5-second penalty for not getting at least one shot within the down-0 or down-1 zones of a threat target. If a shooter lands only peripheral hits on the target, or misses the target altogether, the threat target is still considered viable and a potential threat to the shooter.

Failure to Do Right
A failure to do right (FTDR) is a 20-second penalty given for any illegal action taken specifically to gain a competitive advantage. A shooter who deliberately fires extra rounds at a target so that he must reload at a more opportune time is a classic example of this penalty. This penalty can be highly subjective, and the SO has to determine that the shooter engaged in the action with a "guilty mind" - that he knowingly failed to do right. Because of the subjectivity of the call, the penalty is seldom given. Receiving one all but guarantees the shooter will lose the match.

The end result is that the matches are conducted in a very practical manner. Shooters must "slice the pie" and "roll out" from cover. They can't leave cover with an empty gun and they can't perform "speed reloads". There are also many "non-threat" or hostage targets.

I think that any of the various competitive formats (Steel Challenge, IPSC, IDPA, etc.) can be utilized for training if you stick to your technique and don't get sucked into being a "gamer", but IDPA seems to be the best format yet because it imposes very realistic rules. Certainly there is a time and a place to break these rules, but I think there presence adds to the training experience rather than detracts from it. There's less temptation to do stupid shit. I definitely got a lot out of the match. I was also very pleased with my results. I did not win the match but I scored the fewest points down of any shooter. This means I had the most accurate hits and committed no penalties whatsoever. That's a good start. I can speed things up from there.

Our local IDPA match is put on by the same people from the Oceanside Practical Pistol Club that run the thursday matches. These people are pretty into it and they go all out to set up challenging realistic stages. One of the things they've gotten into lately is fabricating dynamic targets beyond the usual steel poppers. This adds a lot.

Here's a clip from last night's thursday match incoporating some of those dynamic targets.
Peep the target on the skateboard.
I shoot at 0:35.

I happen to be shooting Tom's Glock 29. It's a subcompact 10mm aka "The Noisy Cricket". This pistol is ridiculous. It's too small to be controllable with the big cartridge, but it's too fat to conceal easily. Also 10mm doesn't achieve it's ideal high velocity out of such a short barrel. Tom is selling it. I was just shooting my left over 10mm before the pistol ships out on monday. But it was a good challenge and I was happy to see that my technique allows me to still score very good hits with such an awkward weapon.
Old August 1st, 2008, 01:22 PM
Ryan Tolentino

Jack, that was a great. Thanks for posting that. Can't wait to go to Front Site and get trained.