Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 5th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Roseann

A good, sharp knife (what every woman needs)

What more does a kitchen really need than a good heat source, quality pots, and a couple of sharp knives?

I love old, quality stuff - like my grandmother's cast iron and the bone-handled ,hand-forged fork Jonathan bought me one Christmas.

I recently found this at an antiques barn in Oxfordshire for $15US:

The maker's stamp, which is hard to read, says "WGilpin, Wedges Mill," Pat N125, and has two crossed hammers.

Turns out it is a classic Victorian cleaver made by William Gilpin in Sheffield:

From "History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire", William White, Sheffield, 1834:

CHURCH BRIDGE is a small village in Great Wyrley township, 1 mile S. of Cannock, on the Watling street, and on one of the tributary streams of the Penk, where Mr Gilpin established, about 35 years ago, an extensive manufactory of edge tools, augers, hammers, & c., and a forge, a tilt, rolling and grindmills, and furnaces for converting and refining iron and steel; all of which are now in a flourishing state, and give employment to a considerable number of workmen. About one milewhere Mr Gilpin has another edge tool manufactory on the Hedgford rivulet.

The cleaver's wear speaks volumes of history every time I use it - the top edge clearly has been used with a hammer to assist cutting through god knows what - venison shank poached from the queen's forest? a lovely hog for Christmas?

It sharpened up like only Sheffield steel can - there is one big nick that can't be taken out, but it cuts through pork, beef, or chicken bones like butter.

It's now my favorite kitchen tool.

What other great kitchen tools are out there in your kit?
Old April 5th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

interesting tool. bring it by the shop and I'll edgepro it... if you'd like.

Old April 5th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

You could probably sharpen a knife like that on a bench grinder in the garage like an ax.