Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 28th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Ian Kreidich

Anza Borrego-Death Valley or 4 Corners?

I'm looking for some advice on where to visit next week. Weíve got the week off and can fly into Durango, CO and travel the 4 corners. Our other option is to fly into San Diego and check out Death Valley and Anza Borrego. This means renting a 4x4 with some off-road capability, which may be hard in San Diego. Iím not sure. Iím not crazy about renting an H3.

Obviously, Iím not going to be able to tackle any hard trails but Iíd like to get off the beaten path. Iím always envious of the trips you guys get to take on the west coast. I wish I could drive my own truck but that just isnít a viable option.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

for a weekend, I'd go camping in Anza Borrego.

Just get a map of the park, and just get lost out there. find the most isolated camp spot, and relax.

I've been to the Four Corners Monument. It's cool, but lame at the same time

nr005%20313.jpg

nr005%20316.jpg

Pretty lonely roads too:

nr005%20310.jpg

nr005%20314.jpg

I am guessing there's more to do in the Four Corners area other than monument. But since all I've done was the monument itself, I have no idea on what else is out there.

Last edited by hochung : April 29th, 2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:16 PM
marc olivares
KE7MAF

don't listen to Ho, he has a So. Cal bias.

i say travel the 4 corners area, not the monument, but the colorado plateau. expecially the Utah side.

Old April 28th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

I knew there was more in that area than the damn monument!

Old April 28th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

Oh yeah... Ton's... Moab is a mere 3 hours from Durango and if you've never been, you should go. On the way you can see Mesa Verde, Hovenweep, then a little farther north you have Canyonlands, once you are in Moab it's pretty easy to get lost in the amount of things to do. You don't need a burly 4WD to get the most out of that area and you will have plenty of time in a week to see a lot.
Old April 29th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Ian Kreidich

Well I think we have settled on the 4 corners area. I was told my rental in Durango would be either an Explorer, Pathfinder, or Xterra. Hopefully, we don't end up with an Explorer.

I'm thinking Mesa Verde and Hovenweep should take a day.

I'd really like to drive the White Rim Trail but I see it requires a reservation which can only made 2 weeks or more in advance. Otherwise, it's first come first serve day before or day of. That's not the end of the world but I'm wondering if there is even any hope of getting a spot given that it is prime visitor time in the area.

Are there any parts of Moab that aren't so heavily traveled or visited? I guess I'm looking for the more out of the way locations that reward you for the effort or time it takes to get the destination.

Camping locations and reservations are my next task.

Thanks for the input.