User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old November 8th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ

You could make a sweet hat from that hide...
Old November 8th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Rob Davison

reminds me of that time it took us half an hour to shoot that watermelon from 30ft

Old November 8th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Firing those slugs from prone must have been brutal. I've shot slugs from the bench, as well as sitting and kneeling. But I don't think I've ever shot slugs from prone. I've got to try it the next time we play.

I shot 10 slugs and that was about all I could do and still practice good marksmanship. I wanted the best zero I could get so prone made the most sense, but it was HARSH.
Old November 10th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Saturday was another good shotgun day.

For the first time in a long while San Diego has a fall turkey season.
I broke our the real-tree and Mossberg 835 and headed out to put the sneak on the birds.

I ended up ambushing this jake:

I shot him at about 25 yards with a 3 1/2" shell with 2oz of copper plated 4s through extra full choke. I shot him from a crouch.
It was beautiful. The bird folded up like oragami.
The 835 Ulti-mag turkey gun is "ovebored for 10 ga performance". I don't know about all that, but it does pattern very well and the hit was devastating. I think all my hits were in the neck/head vital area with hardly any spoiler pellets in the body. Recoil was solid, but comfortable with the good ergonomics and soft recoil pad of the 835. I was feeling the Mossberg love in two other areas. One, the lack of a protruding shell lifter means no pinched fingers when loading the magazine and two the tang safety.

Yesterday after I cleaned out the body cavity the bird was hanging in front of my house. My neighborhood is full of all kinds of weirdos from aging hippies to the family that rides shetland ponies around the block. I was just trying to do my part to "Keep Leucadia Funky".

Tonight he gets brined in sea salt, cider and sage and then we roast him up.
Old November 10th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Did you use a call of sorts, or did you just happen to come across the bird?

I had two Toms come in on me while archery hunting last month. They walked directly under my stand and ended up rousting in a tree about 50-yards behind me. I thought about taking the shot, but there is one particular deer I'm hunting and did not want to jeopardize my hunt.

Then, last week, I had 6 birds come within 40-yards. It would have been an easy kill with the muzzle-loader, but just could not bring myself to pull the trigger and miss out on my deer.

In both cases, I should have taken the shot.

On the coyote kill...Have you ever read about killing coyotes? Some interesting stuff reguarding the alphas http://www.sheepusa.org/index.phtml?...eacbb3d8de9453
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:07 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Louis Awerbuck on transitions to pistol:

Old November 19th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

That was sweet.

I was digging how L.A. took the time to address weirdos like Tom who shoot pistol righty and long guns lefty.
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:55 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Awerbuck may be sensitive to such things because he's right-handed but left-eyed. He shoots pistol with his left eye. I guess he hoods his left eye for long guns.
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

I decided to give the M1S90 some love before I head off to Front Sight for Tactical Shotgun.

I added the buttstock shell carrier from Mesa Tactical to hold my slugs.

This carrier replaces the factory sling bar. All that is required is to remove the original and install the carrier in its place. The carrier is slotted on one side to facilitate the use of a sling. The Mesa Tactical carrier is well made, but it's not perfect. Fit is so-so. I had to bend the carrier a few times in a vice to get it close to parallel with the buttstock. It sticks out quite a bit farther than I expected, but it's a price I'm willing to pay not to have an elastic butt-cuff.
I hate those butt-cuffs.

I also added an Surefire X300 weaponlight to my M1S90.

I liked the X300 on my Glocks so much that I added one to the Benelli. At first I was swapping back and forth but I decided the shotgun needed its own. It's nice that it can serve as a back up for the pistols and vice versa.

I bolted an Israeli-made accessory rail that I got from John to the forend of the M1S90. I wanted to get the light as flush to the gun as possible. I spent a lot of time sanding down the rail to get it sucked into the forend. It also took an afteroon just to get the bolts inletted into the plastic forend enough to allow installation. Lots of grind/drill/sand and fit.

But it turned out nicely.

The light functions very well. I've shot a couple of steel challenge matches with the M1S90 using the X300 and I'm able to operate the light and the shotgun easily without any pressure switches or gigantic forend.
And best-of-all, when I don't want the light on, the rail is very low-pro and doesn't get in the way.

I've spent a bit more time practicing different select-slug methods and engaging near and far targets with different ammunition. I'm still impressed with the smoothbore accuracy. 50 yd kneeling shots with slug at the IPSC target are always in the A-zone.
That's a very good hit with a projectile like this:

Old February 4th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

I like the low-pro weapon light mount. Much better than the integrated forend. Does your forward hand bump against it?

Last edited by greghirst : February 4th, 2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

My support hand is all the way at the rear of the forend.
I only operate the light with the tips of my index and middle fingers.
It works pretty well for me.
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:52 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

The money shot:

Love it.