User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

I'm not impressed with the helmet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3574 (Small).JPG (40.8 KB, 20 views)
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

Ninja please...

The head wear shown in your example is commonly mistaken for a pith helmet, but is actually known as the "Home Service Helmet" modeled after the German Pickelhaube. The main difference in the two are that one serves merely as a military ornament and the other as a functional desert/tropical head piece, proven by it's use throughout modern times.

Now, I don't know what the chump has going on in your example with his crossing guard vest on or whatever... Maybe he was at a costume party? Though it clearly has nothing to do with me.
Old May 24th, 2008, 10:54 AM
marc olivares
KE7MAF

man what a nice trip...

I unfortunately do not have the photographic panache of senior Sinuhe, but i did manage to get in a few slot shots. As most of you know, the slots are my obsession, and the boys reluctantly pacified my need to search for that perfect ribbon of canyon light.

unfortunately not all canyons stay nice and pretty

sometimes you'll swim through pools with dead bunnys (or frogs?)

or floating crows?
yeah the photo sucks, but it stunk so i had to make it quick

but eventually you'll reach that off the beaten path jewel, that makes the slog through the canyon worth it.

again not technically impressive, but here are a few that i liked for the following reasons:

this one has to be my favorite,
this is Gladis... (rob)
what's great about this shot is the back story
Gladis and i did some serious damage to a bottle of Patron the night before. but unfortunately for Gladis, tequila doesn't sit well with him. But, like a little trooper, Gladis followed us on our 6 mile slog through the desert, and never complained. i'm not sure if it was the 100 mid day temps, the sand slogging hike with full sun exposure, or if it was the donning of the 7mm wetsuit, but poor Gladis wasn't a happy camper.

this is Gladis, in his 7mm wetsuit, in the 100 desert sun, readying himself to slip into a pool of 40 water and hung way over
isn't canyoneering fun Rawb

one of the rare shots of steve actually smiling...

Sinuhe giving me his "pirate salute" for dragging through yet another cold wet canyon.

Sinuhe shot this of me in the Black hole (my camera)

Sinuhe "the jedi masta" and Gladis

the Plateau Posse (minus nick)

Old May 25th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Rob Davison

My pictures are rather lame but I captured a few of the rainy camp and some other shots which help fill in the story.

So here we go

First thing first. The snow peak blowtorch is standard kit for all in the party. No more kindling, no more messing with matches. Just stack the wood Lincoln log style in a square and put a piece in the middle and blowtorch the ends. In about 5 minutes you'll have raging fire even in the rain as we proved our second night out.

This is what someone means when talk about style. "thats not my style". My style is t-shirts and extra short shorts. Steve likes long baggy pants and short sleeve synthetic dress shirts; that's his style. Sinuhe on the other hand likes to play dress up I guess thats his style who am i to knock it, the sage cigarettes were borderline, my ex girlfriend smoked those..

The impending doom was upon us, this is the point at which my shock broke, steves drive shaft got angry and nicks truck stopped running and needed to be rewired for the first time.

This was the camp at the top of the hill. We had to go over that soft spot which Sinuhe commented on at top. and with the rain adn all the vehicular trouble decided that trail was telling us something. John and Ho you will remember this camp is where you guys told everyone about starting a company called expedition exchange. A few years later I went back and did this trail and found a dead horses at this camp. Those bones are scattered all around now.

I didn't take a picture of the bones. I regret that.

High winds and heavy rain wree no match for our trusty tarp..

That is until the this drainage came to life.

and flooded under our the tarp - this is the point that we decided start hiking and try to enjoy the rare desert flood

several minutes into our -if you can't beat 'em join 'em hike were were thoroughly soaked and miserable. I was beginning to miss home.

We headed back to camp and the snow peak torches saved the say again. We enjoyed cup-o-soup and jagermister that night, mm delicious.

What a difference a day can make. The posse was foot loose and fancy free this morning. Happy to be on our way out

thats the drama of the hole in the rock trail. I lost my camera periodically in the car after this point but when i found it I'd take a picture here and there, these are those.

Old May 25th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Steve Rupp
KC9LHY

The cup-o-noodles was good but the chapagetti was damn good.

Old May 25th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

thanks for sharing, these are awesome.

I remember that campsite very well. LOL

damn canvas tent got my sleeping bag wet. how could I forget?

You guys had chapagetti too? LOL

Old May 25th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

I think this is the spot:

Rob was driving John's stocker Defender down that narrow patch of sidehill road.

Old May 26th, 2008, 08:25 AM
NickR

hi guys,

I had a blast on this trip, like i always do when the guys invite me to join them. I cant think of a better way to recharge the batteries.
I had to call it quits a bit earlier than planned since my truck decided to revolt against me on this trip..mostly my fault for not taking care of the little things...note to self.
Thanks to Marcs and Steves Rover skills, i was able to get on the road every time.
I dont have much to add to this thread picture wise since all the guys pretty much covered everything, but i figured i add a couple that i took with my point 'n shoot.

first of course would be Sinuhe The Explorer pointing out our destination. Some might poke fun at the hat... but it was a beacon for all of us.

The Rob in its natural habitat... it took 2 Snow Peak torches to get him out of there.

Sinuhe negotiates this little deal...Chacos and all.

heres The Rob

the road to Lake Powell that claimed my front shock.

but it was worth it

Steve always seems so casual.. like hes going to the store to pick up Pop tarts while the rest of us scrape and grind .

it's a sort of rebirth of the Chuck Wagon if you think about it....but we now have the Cheddar Brats, of course..

Sinuhe negotiated what with the weather and conditions i thought was a "knarly trail" (yes...Knarly) with a 5 speed truck, i was impressed.

Heres a funny picture..to me. Last time we did a canyon with Marc, we encountered "unexpected elements", mainly extremely cold water... i mean, the kind that empties your lungs of all air when you hit it and your brain goes into spasms while you try to get your limbs to flail around enough to keep you afloat and get you to the other side... cold.

so here we were..again, in a canyon that was supposed to be dry blah blah...and Steve is in in the lead... i catch up to him and behind him as all that water and he has that smile on his face, "its a swimmer"...priceless.
Of course as easy as it was to give Marc hard time for it, it is nature, anyone that thinks they can predict it is in for a world of hurt.

but, like last time when we finished, i thought it was just awesome and couldnt wait to do it again, weird.

Old May 26th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee

No Rolex or nothing. Just a caucasoid. But a caucasoid cooking Korean BBQ in the field. That's sweet.

Shit. I didn't know a Rolex was a prerequisite for good Korean BBQ... I'm going to need to add that to my notes.
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Any way I could get the particulars on how to get to that sweet Lake Powell campsite?
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

It's no secret as to where the location is, there are only half a dozen places you can reach the lake with a vehicle other than a boat. I don't use a gps, so I have no coordinates for you. I, like you, stumbled across a photo of this location on the internet and started researching it's location. We still drove down some dead ends and found some less than stellar spots on the quest, but that is part of the fun of not knowing what you will get. Steve, Nick and I actually walked a good mile along the shoreline until we found this spot, exposed to the elements high on a sandstone cliff. I would hate to save you from such an experience.

Similar to my no running policy, I have a long standing policy of not giving up the goods. This is not due to me being selfish or being an elitist, I simply think that with the pace of information exchanging hands, I am not doing any wild place a service by posting its location on the internet. All the info is already there...
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Steve Rupp
KC9LHY

"The Many Faces of Sinuhe"

"Panama Jack aint got nothin on me"

"This damn sat phone doesn't work" or "I need to put a hole in this hat"

"This Mexican fiesta better be good because we got some mad cleaning to do"

"You talkin to me?"

"Alright, let's motor to the next epic camp spot"

Panama jack gets angry... "Enough with the damn pictures, enjoy this beautiful sunset"

"I told you Nic should have taken care of that fuel pump before we left"

"How do you spell relief.... S I N U H E"

"Damn the wife just called. The fun had to end sooner or later."
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Montana,

I understand.
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rupp

"How do you spell relief.... S I N U H E"

More like M- A- R- C + S- T- E- V- E + T-H-E-R-O-B

That recovery went so smooth thanks to you guys...
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

damn!

Old May 28th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

I did forget one important aspect of the trip... The Rob brought me a wonderful gift of Absinthe, complete with carrying case, spoon and sugar cubes... But alas, we were not man enough to dive into that worm hole to see what was on the other side. So my bottle of Absinthe sits waiting for our next outing when excuses will be disregarded.

Old May 28th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Rob Davison

Sinuhe, I urge you not to wait, but to enjoy that as soon as Steph returns.

Old May 28th, 2008, 11:32 AM
marc olivares
KE7MAF

just thought i'd continue Steve's theme of abusing the man behind the many face's.
this is the only video i shot
it was on my pentax waterproof point-n-shoot.
i was able to get i camera wet, unlike Sinuhe, who had to double wrap his gear in 2 dry bags, which were then wrapped around his clothing and stuffed into his backpack, leaving poor sinuhe half naked with a very cold pothole swim ahead of him...VICTIM!!!!

Old May 28th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Ryan Tolentino

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
I'm not impressed with the helmet.
i'm lovin the pith helmet. Sinuhe, where did you score such an awesome lid?
Old May 28th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Won Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanablur
John-

They are all long exposures. No trickery. I didn't use a timer and just walked into the frame about midway giving me a ghost like feel.

If you walk into the frame during a open shutter, wouldn't you see the blurred trail, instead of looking like a double exposed shot?
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Steve Rupp
KC9LHY

Not necessarily. People will take long exposure shots during the day to erase people walking through the shot. But don't take my word for it as I am still a very young grasshopper.
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Won Park

That does not make sense to me.

I am familiar with erasing and doing post work on a multiple frame exposures where you can get the portion of background image from another frame and manipulate / replace.

As for a single long exposure shot, if you erase the people or anything on the image, where do you get the background to replace it with?

Old May 29th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

well, that was my initial reaction too. But if it's dark enough, couple of seconds out of 30 second exposure won't show? I must give this a try.

Old May 29th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Won Park

Thought about that too... supposing it is really dark, you would have to move in really quick (in the dark) then stand/sit very steady for long time then move out really quick ....

I don't know... I must try this also.
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Rob Davison

suppose it's not really dark and its actually one of the brightest nights of the year....