Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:44 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

I think it looks kind of cool but I'm not so sure about the LED dimming feature. Most dimming LED lights seem to accomplish this by using pulse-width modulation. The flickering gives me a headache after a while and I'm not sure that I could comfortably read by this lamp unless it was in full-brightness mode.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
Rob Davison

I could use this hotlips thing, becasue heating the single wall cup over the stove is handy.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:53 PM
jaime

Black Diamond Apollo works well for me.

Either in the tent or around the camp area.

Can't beat the price/performance especially with rechargeable batts.

The Snow Peak one isn't cutting it for me.

Jaime
Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:30 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

I want at least one. Send me one and if I like it I'll get at least one more.
Old April 21st, 2010, 12:34 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Used my Hozuki light for the first time in Texas. This damn light cost way too much money, but it really is a nice light. I was very surprised at the amount of light that came out of this thing. I'll look through my pics to see if I got any shots of the output.

Here is some other Snow Peak love from the trip.

Old April 21st, 2010, 01:28 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Old April 21st, 2010, 01:38 PM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

2016 SoulCraft Dirtbomb
2016 FoundryOverland

You only lost went running out o gas ,the rest is exploring Javier

Old April 21st, 2010, 01:51 PM
Chris von C
N0H4MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
[center]
I was like 'god damn who's nasty grill is thaaa... oh shit thats mine!'

Here's a less ratty view:

Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:25 AM
Chris von C
N0H4MF

I love events like SCARR because I get to see products first hand in action that I often wonder how well they work, in this case mostly stuff Dan brought with him for me to check out.

The Hozuki light I thought was a tad odd shaped and when he first was showing it to me, it was not quite dark and I was on the fence about it considering the market price for it. However, once it got dark, Dan had it set up his cover and I guess was on one of the low settings and I thought the diffused soft light it was producing was perfect for a nice relaxing atmosphere. The flickering light was interesting but I though would work better when set on a table for a dinner of 2.

Dan brought his IGT table down for me to play with. This was my first time getting my hands on one and I liked it. I may be up for picking one up sometime down the road but I would rather start getting a set of SP plates and bowls and other little doo-dads first. However with the new toy arriving, the table may get bumped up the wish list.

I really loved getting to play with the Black Diamond Apollo lights. I have a huge problem with most lanterns out there, while being super bright, are also super blinding if you look at their general direction. I always have to set them kind of away or back from my main area to avoid having my eyes burned out. I found that the light from the defusing globe of the Apollos pretty much make it my ideal light to have in camp and working around, or even just providing light while relaxing. Those adaptable legs really work on a wide variety of surfaces. At one point I needed to move one off the table out of the way and popped it on top a roll of paper towels and the legs gripped it firmly. Next I needed the paper towel and moved the light on top of a can of something and so on. I have been using a pair of the Brunton LED version of their Glorb lights but have not been pleased because of the reasons i listed above so at some point I'd like to pick up a pair of the Apollos to replace them.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:15 AM
KI4WWU

I agree on the Apollo light. I have two and used them in and around the Kodiak canvas tent this past weekend. Bright but diffused light.

Old April 26th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Chris von C
N0H4MF

Some Snow Peak love from Ho this week! The new grill for 2010, the Large BBQ Box. A more sleek and improved design variant of the Twin BBQ Box and original BBQ Box.

Here is the unit fully stowed:

These clip hold the cover lid when storing the grill. Unlike the clips on the Twin BBQ Box, these actually will keep the lid on the grill. The knob is for the crank handle that adjusts the grill grates height

The legs and hand crank are stored under the grates, in the fire pan

The grill mesh is interchangeable with the other 2 Snow Peak grills and any of the optional replacement grill tops can be used on this new grill.

Here is the grill all set up and ready to use. If you are familiar with the original BBQ Box, the legs mount the same way, and the hand crank simply slips onto the adjuster knob.

Here is the hand crank to adjust the grill height from the coals. Unlike the other 2 Snow Peak grills which only gave you 3 set heights to choose from, this new crank allows you more detailed control over your grill height. This is with the grill tray all the way down.

..Raising the grill tray from the fire pan.

..and all the way up in the highest position.

A variation of the scissor lift used from the BBQ Box,

Here is a view of the fire pan. Same design idea as used with the Twin BBQ Box before but larger and with more ventilation than the older BBQ Boxs.

Here is a view of the fire pan in place

Loaded up and almost ready to cook! The additional ventilation on the fire pan's bottom I thought, greatly decreased the amount of time it took the coals to be ready, as well as seemed to provide a more even/consistent temp over the entire pan. After the meal I noticed that the coals seem to burn out faster than they do when I use my smaller BBQ Box, an advantage if you want to clean up earlier after the meal is done, a disadvantage if you want to warm up snacks a little later.

Dinner is ready

Overall, I love it! I cant wait to do some larger meals on it. and best of all, it fits into my main cooking case along with my other most used items:

So far my only three initial grips/cons with it are, 1) like the Twin BBQ Box, there is no strap to secure the lids firmly like the small BBQ box has. The clips that hold cover for the older Twin Box were pretty useless and I had to add a strap to it so when using the carry handle, the lid and everything didnt pop off and let the grills and legs fall out:

2)The clips on this new Box work MUCH better and do a real good job of keeping the lid on. The box doesn't have any carry handle on it which surprised me.
3) While the ventilation holes on the bottom of the fire pan work real well, they allow a lot of ash to fall through into the bottom of the grill directly into part of the grill where the lifting mechanism is, which could potentially lead to the adjustment getting funked up.

If you haven't seen the Twin BBQ Box before, you can see more pictures of it here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/chrisvon...eakTwinBBQBox#
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Man, ditch the charcoal lighter fluid. That stuff is just plain gross. It never seems to fully burn off. I've been lusting after the snow peak chimney starter, but even a shitty one is better and faster than lighter fluid.
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Chris von C
N0H4MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
Man, ditch the charcoal lighter fluid. That stuff is just plain gross. It never seems to fully burn off. I've been lusting after the snow peak chimney starter, but even a shitty one is better and faster than lighter fluid.
Yeah you will get that if you dont let the coals get completely white. If you start cooking with them still not ready (like my picture getting the coals ready) you'll get that taste. I never notice it if I let them all burn it off.

With this new grill, I'm going to try the next time without the fluid. I used it for my little BBQ box because my middle coals would take forever to heat up. The additional ventilation on this grill allowed much better air flow around the coals so it may not be necessary now.

I'd like to pick up the SP starter as well at some point.
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

I've got the Snow Peak chimney and it's the bomb.

I've been using lump coal instead of the briquets. The lump coal burns hotter, longer, and a lot less ash. It's sometimes hard to find, but Lowe's carries it, and so does The Big Green Egg stores.

Lowe's sells the Cowboy brand and it's actually pretty good. It does not seem to burn as long as The Big Green Egg brand, but the Big Green Egg brand is ashy and when you pull the lid off the grill the suction sucks ash up and onto your food. The Cowboy brand does not do this.

My favorite lump coal right now is the Ozark brand. I found Ozark stacked outside a Kroger grocery store in Georgia a year or two back. This is good shit. I get it from Amazon now because I can't find it locally. If you're looking for good lump coal, check out Ozark Oak Lump Coal.
Old May 7th, 2010, 07:51 AM
peter takacs
WA7PBT

Any chance the large BBQ box fits the Iron Grill Table? I was hoping it would take up a double insert section.
Old May 7th, 2010, 08:13 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

You are correct. The large IGT takes up the same space as the double burner. Same size as this:

Old May 7th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Some pics of the Snow Peak chimney.

Old May 27th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

At what point do you have a Snow Peak problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5740_1192114158458_1096501248_30604328_4893420_n.jpg (62.6 KB, 78 views)
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Won Park

That has to be a demo booth.
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Chris von C
N0H4MF

lol.. yes it is

Old June 7th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

Has anybody used a Snow Peak tarp?

I'm wondering how they would do for beach conditions. Wind resistance and usability in deep sand are my primary concerns. I figure that I could use deadman anchors for the guy-lines but I'm wondering if the poles would just sink into the sand.

http://www.snowpeak.com/lux/tarps/recta.html
Old June 8th, 2010, 05:05 AM
KI4WWU

I've used EZ-UP 10'x10' quickshade on the beach and it worked just fine. In fact, burying the four poles about a foot in the sand helped anchor the whole works. With the lines anchored down it was very solid. I found we didn't need the standard height of the canopy, so being sunk into the sand some reduced the overall height and kept the shade/coverage low enough to work.

Old June 8th, 2010, 05:31 AM
peter takacs
WA7PBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
Has anybody used a Snow Peak tarp?

I'm wondering how they would do for beach conditions. Wind resistance and usability in deep sand are my primary concerns. I figure that I could use deadman anchors for the guy-lines but I'm wondering if the poles would just sink into the sand.

http://www.snowpeak.com/lux/tarps/recta.html

They will sink but I just use a small piece of scrap wood to give it a larger footprint.

And they are awesome for the beach. I also have used a ENO hammock/fly setup. I have been wanting to try to Snow Peak version for a while.

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...cts-tarps.html
Old June 8th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

I've got an MSR wing and as long as you use a long stake in the sand it works well.

It's kind of low, though. Fine for sitting under, but there is not much head room when standing up. You can also draw one side, or both sides, down lower to the ground to block sun/wind/etc.

It's kind of a PITA to set up, but once it's up it's really nice.
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Christopher Snell
NW5W

The Snow Peak store, Yongsan Electronics Market, Seoul, ROK