Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old September 10th, 2008, 03:50 PM
John Shumovich

Goodyear MTR 255/55/19 in the US!

Admiration for Han's G4 RR led me to want the same tires... every attempt to get them a dead end, importing from UK, very expensive. Many contacts with Goodyear over the year led nowhere, until one day in July. "Mary" answered the phone and checked inventory. "Sure, you can get those. We have over 1000 in inventory, who said it was a problem?" "Every dealer in the US and Canada!" I said! She gave me the product number 338697323 and upon calling any local shop with that number, they were amazed they could get them though their systems didn't show that tire at all under the normal search. Must be a computer mixup with their ordering system? Who knows. I bought five and am very happy with them. Tirerack.com now has them on their site for a reasonable price even.

Hopefully good news to anyone wanting this tire.
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

nice.

Now I just need to buy me a MkIII.

Old September 11th, 2008, 12:19 AM
wsixhan
W6HAN

awesome! Ho told me the other day about your search and sure enough, tirerack.com did have them. nice to know i can pick up my 2nd spare. I was saving up and mounted michelin synchrones for daily drive use. I guess I don't have to save them anymore... hehehe.

Old September 11th, 2008, 05:47 AM
David Marchand
KB1NYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochung
nice.

Now I just need to buy me a MkIII.

x2.
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:40 PM
John Shumovich

Han, since you've had the MTR's for a while, how are they on wet roads? I still have the synchrone's on another set of rims, but I hope I won't need to switch back when it rains.. or ever! Someone on another forum was also wondering about wet performance before he buys them so I thought I'd ask you. Any experience to share, rain/snow/ice?
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

I'm not Han, and I've never had 19's or a MKIII. But, my experience with the MT/R was only "ok".

It's probably one of the best tires I've ever used in the snow. It was also really good on the rocks. The MT/R's downfall was in the mud. Any mud and the tire turns into a racing slick. They were also difficult to balance after they get some wear on them.

I never had problems in rainy conditions.
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:07 PM
John Shumovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
I'm not Han, and I've never had 19's or a MKIII. But, my experience with the MT/R was only "ok".

It's probably one of the best tires I've ever used in the snow. It was also really good on the rocks. The MT/R's downfall was in the mud. Any mud and the tire turns into a racing slick. They were also difficult to balance after they get some wear on them.

I never had problems in rainy conditions.

Thanks for the input. I was hoping the'd be good in snow, good to hear they should be. I'll take the warning about the mud too. I'll see how things go as they wear, I hear you need to rotate them alot to keep the noise down and wear them evenly. They are a very "chunky" tire, so I imagine balance could become a problem but I'll stay on top of it.