User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old January 15th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Darich Runyan
W4DMR

Amateur Radio Antenna Cable Routing

All,

I want to set up a more permanent radio solution in my Disco. I have been using a handheld with a magnetic mount, which works but is not the best. I am planning on getting a Diamond NR770HB with the motorized mount but I am curious, what is the preferred method of routing the cable into the cab?

Thanks in advance.
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

I ran mine down the A-pillar into the engine bay and through the firewall to under the dash.
Old January 16th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Darich Runyan
W4DMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghirst
I ran mine down the A-pillar into the engine bay and through the firewall to under the dash.

What did you use to secure it to the pillar?
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

I used the Ho Chung "tuck-it-under-the-windshield-seal" method.

However, this hasn't worked too well so I am going to run all my roof-mounted accessories wiring in plastic automotive conduit and mount it to the side of a Mantec raised air intake next to the driver's side A-pillar.

At the top I'm going to put electrical connectors on all my lighting wiring (except antenna and power cord for motorized mount) so I can remove my roof rack without the pain of removing the roof mounted wiring.

I mounted my NR770 and motorized mount above the driver's side of my rack next to the rail to allow the antenna to move up and down without limiting my storage space on the rack. The antenna when down is right next to the rack edge and the mount is below the edge of the rack.

I mount my spare tire towards the front of my roof rack in the center, whereas some people put a couple Pelican cases on either side in the front to allow the motorised mount to raise and lower the antenna in the center of the rack.

It's a matter of choice however, my location allows me to only have a few inches of antenna cable to deal with when removing my roof rack.

I believe the antenna mounted in the center front may have a very slight advantage in reception/transmission but I'm very happy with the quality of transceiving I have with the Icom IC706 and Diamond NR770 in it's current location. My impression is I have superior transceiving than some others I wheel with due to their choice of components (especially their mic!).

Last edited by greghirst : January 17th, 2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Pics
Old January 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Darich Runyan
W4DMR

Quote:
However, this hasn't worked too well so I am going to run all my roof-mounted accessories wiring in plastic automotive conduit and mount it to the side of a Mantec raised air intake next to the driver's side A-pillar.

I like the idea of running them down the snorkel, I just have to get one first. I just sold my '03, with the snorkel, and I am picking up an '04 next weekend, which of course does not have one. This sounds like a solid option. I also like the idea of the quick release couplers for the lights. Thanks or the input.
Old January 17th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Darich Runyan
W4DMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
Pics

x2
Old January 18th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

OK-I'll try to snap a couple pics.
Old January 18th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

This is side view of antenna mount is lowered position above driver's side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Antenna mount 001.jpg (66.4 KB, 26 views)
Old January 18th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

I have not mounted the raised air intake but in this pic I'm holding it in approx. position but it is angled slightly inward since lower section is not inside the fender. Please ignore filthy truck.

Of course I'll use a larger diameter plastic conduit when lights are mounted and I run wiring and cable along the side of A-pillar and BEHIND the raised air intake rather than in front of as pictured.

I plan to copy Jack's wiring connector arrangement or similiar when lights are mounted.

You can also see in this pic that I mounted the motorized mount directly to Starboard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Antenna mount 004.jpg (92.4 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by greghirst : January 18th, 2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Darich Runyan
W4DMR

Thanks for the pictures.

Quote:
I have not mounted the raised air intake but in this pic I'm holding it in approx. position but it is angled slightly inward since lower section is not inside the fender. Please ignore filthy truck.

Of course I'll use a larger diameter plastic conduit when lights are mounted and I run wiring and cable along the side of A-pillar and BEHIND the raised air intake rather than in front of as pictured.

I plan to copy Jack's wiring connector arrangement or similiar when lights are mounted.

You can also see in this pic that I mounted the motorized mount directly to Starboard.