User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 12th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Let the revolution begin.

The Vinci landed today.

The Vinci case has it's place, I guess, but it's a pile of shit. It's too bad because the case could be really nice. But it's cheaply made and I don't see it lasting long at all. I was not expecting to open the box and find a Pelican case or anything, but I was hoping for something better than this.

The Vinci breaks apart into three peices; the carriage, the stock, and the barrel. The carriage and stock fit into one half of the Benelli case, and the barrel fits into the other half.

The case also has a designated area for gun oil and your choke tubes.

The choke tubes came in their own case:

Again the choke tube case is a pile. The plastic hinges on this thing are not going to last very long from opening and closing the case. They'll get weak and break. But the case does do a nice job of holding the choke tubes and tool:

One thing I was bummed about with the Vinci was the fact you can't shoot 3.5" shells. It's not a big deal to me but one would have thought something new from Benelli would have the ability to shoot 3.5" shells.

To assemble the Vinci, you align this white dot with the sight rail and twist 90* until the barrel and stock snap together. This is not easy and is a child proof feature in itself. It takes a lot of force to get these two parts to mate. I'm not sure if this will get easier over time or not, but they sure make it look easy in all the Benelli promo videos.

Once the barrel is fitted you can then fit the carriage. That silver thing sticking up is the hammer.

On the rear of the carriage are two small springs. These springs help keep pressure on the carriage so it does not get loose.

When the carriage is fitted, you push the entire carriage assembly towards the stock and then lock the magazine tube plug by rotating it clockwise. Once the assembly is locked into place, it basically floats with the springs keeping everything tight.

Once the gun is together and you find that the stock needs to move up or down for comfort, you can easily adjust its position with these drop change plates. Just unscrew the locking ring and change the drop plate. Easy. There are four drop change plates supplied with the gun.

Here is the gun all put together:

Here is the safety:

The barrel is drilled and tapped for scope mounts:

Stop latch:

To disassemble the Vinci, press this button and rotate the magazine tube plug ~45* counter-clockwise. The carriage will then fall off.

From there you can remove the barrel from the stock. It's very hard to get the barrel off the stock and I find myself putting the stock between my knees to get the two pieces loose.

One thing I have noticed, however, is the bolt hitting the carrier. It just barely hits but it's enough to hold the bolt open. The weight of your finger with push the bolt closed. This will not be an issue while cycling, but it defiantly does rub.

I'm pleased with the overall feel of the gun. It feels really nice in my hands. I can't wait to fire it. These short days are killing me and they're only getting shorter. I think I'll take the day off tomorrow and find something to shoot.
Old October 12th, 2009, 06:41 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Oh sweet, it landed.

Many will shit on the Vinci for its appearance, but I think it definitely has a beauty of its own. I'd love to have one here to study its finer points.

I hope to see other configurations of the Vinci in the near future and also hope that the Vinci becomes the centerpiece of the entire family of Benelli repeating shotguns. With so much modularity in the Vinci, I don't see why Benelli wouldn't offer a combat version as well. And I'm very glad Benelli integrated the top of the extension with the barrel extension. Not only does this reduce the receiver profile, but it also allows exchanging the sight system with the barrel. That's very cool.

Congratulations on your Vinci.

Old October 13th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Dan,

Your experience may differ, but I have never been impressed with the patterns from the 3.5" 12.

You aren't really missing too much.
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

FWIW, I found another Vinci local for $1179.00 plus tax. It also comes with a Benelli soft case. That's a great price. If anyone is looking for a Vinci I can pick it up for you and ship it. VA law says I can only buy one gun a month, but there are loop holes.....
Old November 2nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Old November 3rd, 2009, 07:48 AM
marcus vitale
KI6NVU

this is how it started:

Shotgun Shells - Aguila 12 Gauge Mini-Shells 4B+1B SHOT

E-mail this product to a friend

ITEM #AGUI12MS4B1B - MINI SHELLS - 4B+1B (20 Shells per box)

This new type of 1-3/4" 12 ga shotshell (1-1/2" OAL loaded) was developed as part of the innovation drive carried out by Industrias Tecnos SA de CV from Cuernavaca, Mexico, manufacturer of "AGUILA" ammunition. The original idea was to create a new shotshell with law enforcement and military applications in mind. The new cartridge would generate a milder recoil (less shoulder punishment and faster reacquisition of the target after the first shot is fired), would provide more firepower (being able to load 12-14 rounds in a 20" bbl shotgun) and would be ergonomically friendlier (being able to grab a big lot of shells with one hand and comfortably place them in the pocket). Due to its smaller size one police officer/soldier would be able to carry about 40% more rounds than regular shotshells. All this, while providing the necessary power for Police/Military work.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

They'll only feed through a few models of pumps without alteration.

No worky in an auto, though.

SxS would be fine, but the only advantages in that format would be reduced recoil and the ability to stuff several in a pocket.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 01:35 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Haven't those Aguila stubby loads been out about 15 years now?
Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

At least 11 years; we had them at the shop where I worked in college.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 04:57 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I still have several boxes of the Aguila stubby bird and slug loads from law school, so that's at least 12 years ago. And I think the loads came out at least a few years before I bought them.

Didn't some company make an UZI-looking shotgun that took these rounds? It was some magazine-fed, self-loader and I seem to recall the magazine fed through the pistol grip. But it's been so long now that I can't remember.
Old November 4th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Chris von C
N0H4MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlee
Didn't some company make an UZI-looking shotgun that took these rounds? It was some magazine-fed, self-loader and I seem to recall the magazine fed through the pistol grip. But it's been so long now that I can't remember.
Yes the MAG-7 & MAG-7M1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAG-7

Quote:
The manufacturer, Techno Arms (PTY) Ltd., located in South Hills, Gauteng, South Africa, as of March 2009 is active and is marketing the MAG-7 in three versions: the standard MAG-7, the civilian-legal MAG-7 M1, and the M7 Dual Riot, a combination weapon based upon the standard MAG-7, with a fixed metal stock and an up-mounted 37mm single-shot less-lethal launcher with tilting barrel, extremely reminiscent of the widely popular South-African Milkor Stopper 37/38 mm riot gun, which Techno Arms now also manufactures.

http://www.technoarms.com/mag7_m1.html
Old November 4th, 2009, 10:07 AM
John Lee
K6YJ

Oh shit, Chris! Look at you!

My memory is off. I remember that thing being a self-loader. It was probably the cosmetic resemblance to the UZI that made me think that.

Good find.
Old November 4th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Chris von C
N0H4MF

lol.. looks like they modernized it with the new Duel Riot model:

http://www.technoarms.com/m7_dualriot.html

Old November 10th, 2009, 06:28 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

I had this Gunsite shotgun video on VHS but can't find it, so I'm glad it's on YouTube. Some of the material is a little dated, but it's still an excellent video.

Old March 8th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Will Roeder
KI4PLZ

Anyone have a good recommendation for a home defense round for my new Mossberg?

I was thinking this:
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...gauge-buckshot
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

I've had good experience with the Fiocchi Reduced Recoil OO. They're about $0.60 per round and pattern nicely out of my 870.

They do not feature lacquered primers so I would limit their outdoor and field use.

I would recommend these for a dedicated house gun.
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Will Roeder
KI4PLZ

That Fiocchi looks pretty comparable to the Hornady I linked to above, at about 1/2 the cost. Unfortunately I can't find it in stock any where!
Old November 26th, 2010, 02:24 PM
David Lucas

Any reviews from Vinci owners out there?

Old November 26th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by willroeder
That Fiocchi looks pretty comparable to the Hornady I linked to above, at about 1/2 the cost. Unfortunately I can't find it in stock any where!

Better late than never.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=89132
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Lee Walden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
FWIW, I found another Vinci local for $1179.00 plus tax. It also comes with a Benelli soft case. That's a great price. If anyone is looking for a Vinci I can pick it up for you and ship it. VA law says I can only buy one gun a month, but there are loop holes.....

what are you using this gun for? Make sure you break it in good. I hear they don't cycle well for the first several rounds run through them, but that is considered to be normal for a benelli. I shoot a super black eagle H&K for ducks and I love it.

Stu, for ducks and geese on open water, I wouldn't want to pay that kind of coin on a shot gun and it not be able to shoot 3.5's.
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAWalden
Stu, for ducks and geese on open water, I wouldn't want to pay that kind of coin on a shot gun and it not be able to shoot 3.5's.

Good Lord.

Ack-Ack battery, eh?
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

Is this big enough?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crewlargest_2.jpg (73.8 KB, 2 views)
Old November 30th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Lee Walden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Good Lord.

Ack-Ack battery, eh?

Sorry, I don't know what you're trying to say.

I just said that if I was going to buy a hunting shot gun I would want it to be able to handle a 3 1/2 inch shell for long shots on geese and big ducks in open water
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

Quote:
what are you using this gun for? Make sure you break it in good. I hear they don't cycle well for the first several rounds run through them, but that is considered to be normal for a benelli. I shoot a super black eagle H&K for ducks and I love it.

I've only had one problem with this gun not cycling. I was working a Land Rover Wheels Event and part of the program was skeet shooting. The group we contracted with to handle the shooting provided a few over-and-under shotguns for the participants to handle. They also provided the ammo. The ammo they used was a really light load to reduce the recoil for people unfamiliar with guns. I forget what shells they were using, but they were pretty weak. The Vinci ejected the first two shots, but failed on my second pair. I switched over to my regular loads and everything was fine. I've never had another problem with misfeeds or ejections.

I've used the gun for just about everything. Trap, skeet, sporting clays, birds, and I killed a deer with it earlier this month. I bought this gun mainly for goose, but I wanted my GF to be able to use it also, so that's why I went with the shorter 26" barrel. I have yet to go goose hunting since I bought this gun...but the gun gets used a lot.
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know what you're trying to say.

I just said that if I was going to buy a hunting shot gun I would want it to be able to handle a 3 1/2 inch shell for long shots on geese and big ducks in open water

It's pretty apparent that he's saying that 3 1/2 cartridges are overkill.

I remember going goose hunting years ago and I was the odd man out who didn't have a Benelli Super Black Eagle loaded with 3 1/2s. I was getting grief from the guys about my antique 50's era A5.

Guess what? The geese didn't know the difference. Several guys missed shots with the magical 3 1/2s and I killed geese without a problem with those puny 2 3/4s.

I can't even imagine using 3 1/2s on duck. Good lord!

What would you use on deer? .460 Weatherby Magnum?