Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old November 30th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Lee Walden

Damn, I was just giving my opinion on what I would want in a gun! Its not like I told Dan he is dumb for buying a vinci and not a SuperX3, Xtrema, or SBEII!!! A vinci is an extremely nice gun, I'd love to have one! To each his own. In the end you have to like the way the gun shoots over WHAT it can shoot. All I was saying that for me it is nice to have the ability to shoot a 3.5 in open water on a long shot. I usally load up two 3" shells and have my last shell be a 3.5 if I'm in open water...to get a few more pellets out there on that last shot. Its really all just a matter of preference. Just because the gun can shoot a 3.5" shell doesn't mean that you HAVE to shoot it. Its not like I load up BBB 3.5s for a swamp woodie or teal hunt, there wouldn't be anything left.

but hell, its just my opinion, I'm just a redneck in TN.

Mike, I agree its not like you can't kill a bird without a 3.5" shell. I grew up using a single shot 20 ga and then an 870 20 ga and killed birds with both. Anyone giving you crap about shooting an A5 is dumb, I've got one in a 20ga and they are really nice guns.
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Stuart Ivie
KN4CBB

My aversion to the 3.5" shell comes mainly from the mediocre patterns that I've seen.

It may have just been a bad gun/ammunition combination.

Also, when you're not shooting 3.5s you're lugging around extra steel with no benefit. It's akin to driving a tandem axle box truck everywhere because at some point you'll need to load up six pallets of cashews from Costco.

No one thinks you're a bad person for wanting a 3.5" shotgun, Lee.
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu454
It's akin to driving a tandem axle box truck everywhere because at some point you'll need to load up six pallets of cashews from Costco.

That's a great comparison.

The "need" for a 3.5" shell means that you have to suffer a gun built for it. And I'm yet to handle the wonderfully trim and light, easy to care, soft shooting, smooth running gun that accepts monster shells.

I'd much rather push the performance limits with choke and shot placement than with big shells.

Like Mike I've killed many geese and made a number of long shots on duck with 2 3/4" shells.

Now what would be nice would be shooting lead...
Old November 30th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Mike Rupp
WZ7V

Jack, have you tried Bismuth? I was hesitant to use steel shot in the A5 with its 30" full choke barrel. Bismuth works wonderfully. I've never compared patterns, but it functions just like it does with lead.
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:14 PM
marcus vitale
KI6NVU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp
Jack, have you tried Bismuth? I was hesitant to use steel shot in the A5 with its 30" full choke barrel. Bismuth works wonderfully. I've never compared patterns, but it functions just like it does with lead.

no it doesn't, but it functions better than steel, unless you are strictly speaking in terms of the gun cycling and firing.
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:20 PM
marcus vitale
KI6NVU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Rupp

no it doesn't, but it functions better than steel, unless you are strictly speaking in terms of the gun cycling and firing. we forget how lethal lead is on water foul. frankly because most of us are too young to remember using it.