Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old November 18th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Nadir_E

'94 D90 - Load Bed Roll Bar - OK to remove?

Hey Everyone,
I tried to install my Troy Smith storage boxes a while ago and realized they conflict with a roll bar that connects the middle and rear hoops through the load bed. Troy suggested possibly removing that connector rather than cutting up the boxes to go around it. Another alternative is to just go back to the old tuffy boxes I had before (rectangular).

It's my understanding that later model D90's don't have this crossbar - anyone able to confirm? If that's the case, would you think there's much harm in pulling it out of my truck? My gut instinct is not to mess with the factory safety equipment, but I'm curious to see what you all have to say.

Pictures of the issue...

-N
Old November 18th, 2008, 05:08 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Damn.

I'd be inclined to cut up the Troy Box rather than mess with the structure of the roll cage. It would be work to cut up the Troy Boxes and you would lose capacity, but you would still end up with much more capacity than with the rectangular Tuffy. I hold stuff like a Hi-Lift ORB and these plastic organizers in the floor area of my Troy Box:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....group_ID=20139

These items wouldn't fit in a rectangular Tuffy, at least not resting flat on the floor.

And is that a CB coax I see?
Old November 19th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Nadir_E

That's kind of where i was headed, John. I had the boxes custom made to open in the opposite direction as yours - towards the outside of the vehicle - so their value on the market (i.e. if I dumped them) would probably be limited.

I can't say if the extra roll bar connection is superfluous since it's not on later models, but the idea of taking it makes me uncomfortable.

Oh well, thought I'd ask first - going to find a metal shop that can take a bite out of the boxes to fit around the roll bar...

...and yes, shamefully, that's a CB coax - been there since '99 or 2000. Hope to graduate to the 2m cool kid club soon...
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Chris von C
N0H4MF

You would most likely be ok taking the x-bars out. Unlike in the 110's where they served a purpose for the rear jump seats, they were not used when carried over to the earlier NAS D90s before they were taken out in later trucks coming over. My own 94 had the mount points for the x-bars but never actually had them. The ST NAS roll cage's B and C columns primary attachment points run straight down through the tub to the frame in the rear and in the middle to an additional extension support that goes under and across the the truck.
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Kevin Mokracek

I can visualize the fix for this and it would be a fun day of cutting and welding. Buy correct gauge steel, cut, weld, and you will have a very nice custom fit box. I live for this kind of stuff. Have fun.