Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:25 AM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

Expeditions West: Discovery I, 5-speed Project

Well, you guys have heard me talk about manual discos and P38s, and I finally found what I wanted.

Expeditions West started with a Discovery (II), and has now come full circle. For a few years, I have wanted a clean, white, manual/cloth SD Discovery I to build for Land Rover events and trips in the Southwest. Over the last few months, things came together to support the build, including the need for a new project to feature in the Journal and a recent contract with the US special forces that required another truck.

It is a 1995 SD Discovery with the R380 5-speed, cloth interior and only 70k miles. It was owned by a minister in Salt Lake and only serviced at the dealer (I have all records). I bought it from the salesman who sold the unit new 10 years ago...

It drives great and made the 600 mile trip back home like a new car. The interior is within 10% of a new vehicle IMO, and the exterior is in fantastic shape given the vintage.

The entire build will be featured in Overland Journal, and will be clean and moderate, complimenting the Rover and addressing basic expedition and trail requirements.

Essentially, the build will come over three parts:
1. Suspension, tires and wheels. Electronics and power
2. Camp systems and storage
3. Armor and recovery. Traction and trail considerations

Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
David Shechter
KC2PFB

I think it looks pretty good just the way it is.

a ham radio and you're all set.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:30 AM
Aaron Shrier
KI6BCA

Awesome!!!!
Old October 22nd, 2007, 12:31 PM
Rob Davison

That's too nice to monkey with.

Old October 22nd, 2007, 12:39 PM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad_bor
That's too nice to monkey with.

Just minor monkeying, I promise... Purely functional
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

The distributor is in need of replacement, as it appears a prior service damaged the nylon centering disc, so it wobbles slightly and I cannot get it to proper advance.

Does anyone have experience with the Mallory units? Impressions?

I would not mind going that route if it is an improvement. In addition, I am am assuming that the ECU must receive the spark reading from the coil then, as the Mallory is a simple three-wire unit.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:48 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionswest
... Purely functional

that's the scary part.

Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:01 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Awesome.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:52 PM
Ho Chung
W6HC

It reminds me a lot of my first love:

nice find.

Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:09 AM
Jesse Ware
KB1NZE

Quote:
The distributor is in need of replacement, as it appears a prior service damaged the nylon centering disc, so it wobbles slightly and I cannot get it to proper advance.

I would not mind going that route if it is an improvement. In addition, I am am assuming that the ECU must receive the spark reading from the coil then, as the Mallory is a simple three-wire unit.

We used the Mallory unit in my former business partners Rangie. As I recall it was a bit of a fuss to get to work the first time, we needed to add a balast resistor and ended up swapping the coil to a Mallory coil to get it to work just right, but the results were worth the effort. I believe one of the east coat suppliers is now offering it in kit form, might be AB but I am not sure.

Jesse
Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:24 AM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Quote:

I wouldn't bother with the Mallory. I'm guessing it uses a generic curvature and might require messing with it to work correctly. Does it have a vacuum advance?

There are plenty of used distributors out there. I carry an extra one from an 88 RRC when I wheel but I've never had a problem with my original one.

They are certainly rebuildable and I believe BP carries replacement hall effect innards. Mine still has original ignition module and I've never relocated even though kit is available.

I'm sure Will Tillery can get you a replacement used one for reasonable (willtillery@roverguy.com). I think any D1 or RRC one would work for your 95 but you might need to re-curve for your application(?).
Old October 23rd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

Greg,

Thank you for the feedback. My preference is to allways use stock, unless a replacement is well documented to be more reliable and not create down-steam issues. I will start looking for a new replacement.

I also plan to take a systems approach, so I will likely replace the coil too (wires and plugs are new), along with the relocation kit.

It is nice to have a new project
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

You scored.

Take your time, it's going to be sweet.

Feel the disco1 love.
Old October 24th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Daniel Chapman
KJ4BXR

If you're going to change it all out anyway, personally, I'd use the Mallory set-up. I mean face it, these motors need all the help they can get. Although any performance gains would be un-noticeable at best, it's an undisputed fact that the Mallory units are a superior design that happens to offer a hotter spark.

Yet, it would have a downfall. What if it breaks? Certainly a stock replacement would be easier to find in a pinch.

If you're going to honestly turn to the diesel conversion in the future, then the stock distributor is the no-brainier. I just got one from Will Tillery, used, about a month ago for $150.00 to install in a truck I was working on. He can get OEM parts, too, at a fraction of the dealership prices. No sense in putting a lot of money in a motor you're only going to remove.
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Greg Hirst
KI6CQL

Looks like the Mallory Unilite for Land Rovers does have a vacuum advance and is optically trigger versus hall effect on the Lucas.

http://www.mr-gasket.com/pdf/Distributors.pdf

Mallory lists two separate curvatures available for Land Rover (24 degrees at 3200 rpm and 18 degrees at 3400 rpm). I see it online for as little as $289 so not a bad deal for a new distributor.

However, it appears to need a resistor to work properly and doesn't come with gear drive.

As Dan says you just won't be able to switch borrow caps, rotors etc. with other Rovers on the trail.
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Jesse Ware
KB1NZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghirst
Looks like the Mallory Unilite for Land Rovers does have a vacuum advance and is optically trigger versus hall effect on the Lucas.

http://www.mr-gasket.com/pdf/Distributors.pdf

Mallory lists two separate curvatures available for Land Rover (24 degrees at 3200 rpm and 18 degrees at 3400 rpm). I see it online for as little as $289 so not a bad deal for a new distributor.

However, it appears to need a resistor to work properly and doesn't come with gear drive.

As Dan says you just won't be able to switch borrow caps, rotors etc. with other Rovers on the trail.

The gear drive is not a problem, you remove the gear from your old one and install it on the Mallory unit. It is held in place by cross pin, so a little bit of drilling is all that is necessary.
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

Thank you for the thoughts on the distributor. I will just buy a set of the rotor/cap and optical unit as spares.

The springs and shocks came today.
Old October 25th, 2007, 07:53 AM
ca_surveyor

I have a Mallory

I have been running a Mallory for about two years on my 4.6 88' RRC. Parts are normally available at larger speed shops that carry Mallory.

I did and still feel that the tuning has been an ongoing issue, related to unexpected pings from time to time. Possibly related to the mech. curve. I might start playing with different springs. It does have an adjustable vacuum (via screw in pod). My first pod was bad and was causing full vacuum in excess of 50 degrees.

I went with the AB setup (expensive) and had to purchase a coil elsewhere. On several sites I have seen how you can remove your old gear and add it to a Mallory from Summit, etc. Installation is easy and can be done in less than an hour (including the rewiring).

Good luck.
Old October 29th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Ben Little
KE7BEN

wow... She's perty
Old October 29th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Daniel Davis

It appears that these guys still have the low version of the only rack that would be right to put on that pristine D1.

http://stable-energies.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RRL1030
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis
It appears that these guys still have the low version of the only rack that would be right to put on that pristine D1.

http://stable-energies.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RRL1030

I say go with the CT rack.
Old October 30th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Rob Davison

I know someone who has a CT rack new in box (bought it and never got around to installing it) and wants to sell it.

PM if interested.

Rob

Old October 30th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Jack Quinlan
KI6CTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochung
It reminds me a lot of my first love:

nice find.

Same here:

Feel the love.
Old November 11th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Sinuhe Xavier
yes

I'm liking the white D1 love...

Nixfall Canyon

96 D1 5 speed

I love the low rack, if you can find one, the style points alone are priceless. I did just get the seats redone in leather and that has been a nice upgrade.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Scott Brady
KE7PNP

Phase One:

Phase Two will not change the appearance shown in these photos, just address a few remaining considerations, like axles (rear locker, gearing, axle shafts, etc), rear storage and a National Luna fridge.