Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards  

Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 11th, 2009, 03:16 PM
sboada

OME lift install

Can anyone tell me where the article that details the OME install on D2? I saw it a while back in the tech section but can't find it.

I am installing my OME (779/762) on my 04 D2 tomorrow and could use the guidance.

Also, can anyone tell me if the springs have a top and bottom. It looks like one of the sets has a flat side and one side isn't. The other set looks the same to me, top and bottom.

Thanks in advance.
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:03 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

Here's one:

http://www.discoweb.org/springshock.htm

The 779s have a non-flat side. It goes on the bottom. You will see your front spring seats have a corresponding notch.

The 762s can be installed either side up. Some people believe the tighter coils go on top. I don't see how it makes any difference.
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:55 PM
sboada

Thanks John.

By the way, what method do you use to match springs? I got a matched set from you guys yesterday, and both are labeled "B", which I think is the driver's side. Do you sell pairs of the "A" springs as well? Just wondering as I know one gives more lift than the other, and just wondering what drives the choice.

Thanks again.

-Steve
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:12 PM
John Lee
K6YJ

We just pull spring out of one box and pull a spring out of another box, then switch them.

B is the passenger-side.

Sure, we sell the A springs as well.

When someone orders, we just pull whatever springs are handy and ship them out. Some customers specify which side they want, but the vast majority don't. So we just ship whatever is handy on the rack at the time.

A or B, I don't think it makes any appreciable difference in height. When lifting my truck, I just grabbed whatever was handy. I think I have Bs on my truck.
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:41 AM
KI4WWU

Stephen, A or B should not make a measurable difference in anything. In fact, when I bought OME springs from EE a couple of times (I think) they were passenger side matched springs and I thought "hey, what a gyp, I got the short side of the deal" but once I had them on I was pleased and they provided the lift I needed and then some.

One thing you should do is get the rubber spring isolators for all four corners. These cut down on vibration and give about 1/4 inch in added height if you really want it. Disco 1 rear spring perches will also give you added height in the rear. I have these on my D2 with RTE springs now and it sits perfectly level when fully loaded, a bit "hot rod" when empty but that suits me fine.

If you don't have a set, go to NAPA and borrow or rent a set of spring compressors just in case. You can do the job without but that requires a lot mor disassembly than you think at first.

Good luck and cheers!

Old March 12th, 2009, 05:29 PM
sboada

Thanks for all of the advise.

Lift is done. Took me about 7 hours, and that's including removal of the shock towers twice, because I'm an idiot and put them back on before I swapped springs.

I put the 779's up front, flat side down, and the 762's in rear, tighter coils on top. The stock rear springs had one isolator on the left rear spring.

The front is about 3/4" higher than the rear, so I will be purchasing a couple of isolators to level it out in the near future.

Much improved ride. Not stiff at all, and much better handling.

Thanks again guys.