Go Back   Expedition Exchange Bulletin Boards > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 12th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Tony DeSanto
Gen

Gunbroker.com Experiences

I'm involved in acquiring a new handgun. I'll report back here about my experience with my purchase as soon as the transaction is complete, as I hope to learn from others' experiences using this auction site as well.

During my search, I ran across what looked like a pretty good deal on a great gun; however, something just didn't add up. Regardless of however the guy answered my inquiry, I had already decided I wouldn't do business with this guy. But, I thought I'd have a litte fun and simply ask him why he officially listed the gun as used, but described it as "new in box" a couple different ways in the product description.

So, I know at some point the listing will be deleted on the website; therefore, I'll just copy some of the critical points:

Title: Heckler & Koch H&K HK45C V1 45ACP 3.9 8RD BLK

Seller TerabyteBoone NR (This is a new seller with no feedback)
Payment Methods See Item Description
Sales Tax Seller did not specify whether or not sales tax will be collected
Shipping Buyer pays actual shipping costs, No International Shipments, See Item Description
Inspection Period / Return Policy See Item Description
Item Condition Used

Description for Item # 131087867

Specifications Type Pistol Action Single / Double Caliber 45 ACP Barrel Length 3.9" Capacity 8 + 1 Safety Ambidextrous Grips Black Polymer Sights 3-Dot Weight 1.58 lbs Finish Matte Black New in box, never fired! This variant is the only one I have ever seen,if you love H&K as much as I do you had better get it while you can it will not last long. Must be 21 to bid.Proof of ID required in form of copy of driver's license,etc.Please be aware of all state and local laws regarding purchase and posession of handguns .Not responsible for non-compliance of the law.NO SALES to CA.,NY.,NJ.,MA.,MD.,IL.,DC.,HI. shipping is at least 16.25
[Information added 06/09/2009 5:09:02 PM]
Voted the lowest recoil .45.Remember new in the box, never been carried. Comes with manual, HK lock, extra mag, extra backstrap with tool, & spent test cartridge. Whoever is the highest bidder I will throw in a 50ct box of Remington .45, just pay the extra S&H.

So, a couple other things just didn't sit well with me:

1. He lists V1, as in variant 1, for the trigger type, safety, etc; however, he suggests that this is the only variant he's ever seen. According to the manufacturer, there are others available. So, it just seems a bit off.

2. Payment method states "see description"; however, nothing in the description is listed.

3. Inspection Period / Return Policy states "see description"; however, nothing in the description is listed.

4. Finally, and probably most importantly, there's no feedback from other buyers or sellers.

So, I wrote the guy to see what he'd say. Here's my email to him:

"TerabyteBoone,

Why is this listed in the official auction details as "used" condition; however, in
the description it is described as "new in box"?

Thanks."

His response:

"I purchased it new for my collection, it is the only one that I have seen like this, it has never been carried of [sic] fired. If you have anymore [sic] questions you can email me at xxxx or call me at xxxx. It is the best looking HK 45 I have ever seen. I wish I could keep it, my wife wants me to thin out my collection."

As if I even needed another reason not to buy from him, the final nail in the coffin for me was, "my wife wants me to thin out my collection."

So, either you have no stones and openly admit it, or you bought a gun you had no business trying to afford. Either way, it just didn't sit well with me and I got a good chuckle out of the response.
Old June 12th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Darich Runyan
W4DMR

Sounds more like the guy is just clueless as to the workings of online auction sites in general. He probably just copied and pasted the description from another auction.